Manila Hospitals Give Up. Say They Have Lost to Covid

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 4/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, graham59 said:

I am being cautious about what I write on the forums, as I am resident in the Phils...and there are laws about (especially foreigners) being critical of local politicians. :wink: 

Same here Graham.  Not my place to comment about the Philippines policies.  I'm just a guest here.

• Like 4

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, HappyJack said:

Expect hundreds of scion of corrupt politicians, high-ranking public officers and crooked corporate directors buying even more condos in Singapore and houses in Southern California. Even more of these kids buying themselves the latest cars, fashion accessories. The better ones maybe going to Harvard or Columbia or some lesser Jesuit-run institutions for their MBAs.

After reading an article, my wife and I were looking on Seeking.com, the infamous sugar babe/daddy website. Here in PH, it's absolutely bursting with model-type young women who are eager to get a piece of the pie, no matter if that means sleeping with an obese granddad of 16.

Yep, the future of the Philippine elite has never looked so sunny.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 4/5/2021 at 9:07 PM, Balisidar said:

Not my place to comment about the Philippines policies.  I'm just a guest here.

You must be here on a tourist visa Balisidar.

I sincerely not calling you out personally :2245_safe: but I have been hearing that since I have been here.

I, personally, am on a 13A permanent resident visa, I can work, we own a home and I pay taxes, I have the same right to free speech under the Philippine constitution as a citizen.

Section 4. No law shall be passed abridging the freedom of speech, of expression, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances.

Now having posted that there are exceptions. 

Limitation of Freedom of Expression (Sec. 4, Art. III)

The right to freedom of expression is not absolute. It is subject to some regulation by the State in order that it may not be injurious to the right of the community or society. This regulatory power of the State can be exercised under the police power to promote or protect public welfare.

Anyone who slanders or libels another may be penalized. Lewd and obscene speech and fighting words are not protected under the freedom of expression clause.

Now here, like at home, I don't accost people on the street with signs, I don't take over whole sections of a city and I don't storm capital buildings,,,,,,of any country :hystery:

As long as we are respectful (like we are in our home countries) we have nothing to fear,,,,If we act like jerks,,,,,,,,,,,we get what we deserve :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

You must be here on a tourist visa Balisidar.

Hey Scott,

Nope.  I'm here on a 13A also.  I've just never felt its my place to talk about Philippine politics or any other countries for that matter.  After all...the USA is the only place I can compare to and it's far from perfect.  Why else are most of us ex-pats from one country or another.😀

Regards!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

I, personally, am on a 13A permanent resident visa, I can work, we own a home and I pay taxes, I have the same right to free speech under the Philippine constitution as a citizen.

Disagree.  This is one example.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1075212

Stay away from rallies, BI reminds foreigners
By Ferdinand Patinio  July 17, 2019, 3:54 pmShare

MANILA – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Wednesday reminded foreigners that they are not allowed to engage in any political activity in the country.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente issued the reminder in connection with previous incidents of deportation and exclusion of foreign nationals who took part in protests and mass actions.

“We are sending this warning to avoid a repeat of the cases wherein we had to deport foreign protesters,” he said in a statement.

BI Operations Order SBM-2015-025 prohibits foreigners from engaging in political activities while in the country.

They are barred from "joining, supporting, contributing, or involving themselves in whatever manner in any rally, assembly, or gathering".

Morente noted that while it is within their policy to welcome foreign visitors, they are also duty-bound to implement the law by deporting foreign protesters.

"Foreigners have no business joining such activities as it is a clear violation of their conditions of stay," he added.

According to Morente, being a visitor of the country does not give foreigners the political rights and privileges of a Filipino.

"Joining political demonstrations is an utter display of disrespect to the country's authorities, and is equivalent to meddling in our internal affairs as a sovereign nation," Morente said.

In the past, several foreigner nationals have been ordered to leave the country, among them are Dutch citizen Thomas van Beersum who was deported after being photographed joining a protest and taunting a crying policeman, while Canadian student Kim Chatillon-Miller was also deported for joining an anti-State of the Nation Address (SONA) demonstration in 2013 during the term of former President Benigno Aquino III.

In 2018, Australian nun Patricia Fox was denied renewal of her visa for violating the conditions of her stay and participating in partisan political activities.

Also last year, Zimbabwean Tawanda Chandiwana, American Adam Thomas Shaw, and Malawian Miracle Osman were ordered to leave for involvement in mass protests.

"Follow our laws. It is very simple and clear. Foreign visitors are not allowed to partake in political demonstrations,” the BI official said.

“We allowed your stay in the Philippines, please respect our government and our laws," he added.

Morente warned that alien protesters can be deported if found committing acts that constitute overthrowing the government, unlawful destruction of property, and violation of the conditions of their stay.

"If found guilty, we will blacklist these foreigners, effectively barring them from re-entering the Philippines," he added.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I hear you, and I read that also. However I dont plan on: 

8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

engage in any political activity in the country.

or

"joining, supporting, contributing, or involving themselves in whatever manner in any rally, assembly, or gathering".

or

"Joining political demonstrations 

But as long as a person refrains from slander or other prosecutable actions, one is free to express one's opinion respectfully and freely. 

I just always get a bee in my bonnet when folks say "We are visitors". I am not a visitor I am a legal resident.  And I have a vested interest in how things go forward :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Politicians don't care what your visa status is.

Truer words never spoken.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  I would advise to tread lightly.  I have seen foreigners threatened with deportation locally for speaking against stupid Covid rules.  Politicians don't care what your visa status is.

Threatened maybe, personally believe it would never prevail, there are strict laws involved in deportation.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic