Stinging Caterpillar and Other Stinging Insects

Tommy T.

I find 90% plus alcohol on any bites or stings pretty much clears any rashes etc up within a few minutes. There's a lot of what I can only describe as hairy catepillars where I live that have a reputation for stinging 

• Like 5

no experience of those.. but did once in error sit near to a nest of red ants... My goodness... those tiny buggers really pack a punch.. how can something so small create so much pain ???  Be aware and be wary !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Manager
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I find 90% plus alcohol on any bites or stings pretty much clears any rashes etc up within a few minutes.

Is that 90% rub on and 10% consumed? :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

19 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I find 90% plus alcohol on any bites or stings pretty much clears any rashes etc up within a few minutes. There's a lot of what I can only describe as hairy catepillars where I live that have a reputation for stinging 

I never tried that. And I don't have 90 % alcohol here. Can that be purchased in PI?

5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is that 90% rub on and 10% consumed? :mocking:

My go to fix for mozzie bites and ant and other stings is ammonia applied topically, Tanduay applied internally.:thumbsup:

It would be interesting to even try the 70% sanitizing alcohol to rashes and see what happens? 

3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I never tried that. And I don't have 90 % alcohol here. Can that be purchased in PI?

My go to fix for mozzie bites and ant and other stings is ammonia applied topically, Tanduay applied internally.:thumbsup:

It would be interesting to even try the 70% sanitizing alcohol to rashes and see what happens? 

Apple cider vinegar is supposed to stop the itchiness, used externally. You could drink a little if you wanted but I preface Tanduay.:shooter:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I found it online. Being Scottish I also discovered that it is way cheaper than any chemical cockroach spray killer out there.  I've wasted so much Bygone etc spraying cockroaches and watching them run off laughing but a little spray from 90% plus alcohol and they die almost instantly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, Freebie said:

no experience of those.. but did once in error sit near to a nest of red ants... My goodness... those tiny buggers really pack a punch.. how can something so small create so much pain ???  Be aware and be wary !

I'm a bit allergic to those little red ones.  After I get bit it stings but later a blister forms and then a scab.  When I first arrived here we were at a food stand and I was standing on a mound of them and got 10 or so bites.  Last Sunday two got me at our cabana at a pool resort.

• Sad 1

I dont know what works for red ants ( other than jumping around shouting and swearing  ) but for everyother bite here a liberal application of Tiger balm seems to take all redness away and all the itchiness..... at least it does for me.

Some other good remedies posted here.

• Like 1

This is the one that lived in my bushes in Florida.  Found him the hard way and paid the price!

Cat_Stick05.jpg

• Like 2