Stinging Caterpillar and Other Stinging Insects

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Grabbed a half-bag of corn chips from the cupboard one night. Was on my 2nd mouthful before realizing ants had gotten into the package. Soon my lips were swollen to a truly comical extent and I was getting worried about my trachea swelling shut. That would have been tragic since I was alone in the house at the time. Fortunately that didn't happen and my lips were back to normal in 20 hours or thereabout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Grabbed a half-bag of corn chips from the cupboard one night. Was on my 2nd mouthful before realizing ants had gotten into the package. Soon my lips were swollen to a truly comical extent and I was getting worried about my trachea swelling shut. That would have been tragic since I was alone in the house at the time. Fortunately that didn't happen and my lips were back to normal in 20 hours or thereabout.

Sorry for the laughing, I did the same. My lips looked liked I have just been to the dentist.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Pictures please! :hystery:

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

The wife made me delete them. Take my word for it that it was really bad. So bad that you wouldn't have believed it to be possible.

• Sad 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Freebie said:

I dont know what works for red ants

Wearing white socks with your sandals and shorts will stop them from biting your ankles and feet. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

9 hours ago, jimeve said:

Sorry for the laughing, I did the same. My lips looked liked I have just been to the dentist.

You both could have gone on You Tube and done Mick Jagger impersonations?:whistling:

• Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Freebie said:

I dont know what works for red ants ( other than jumping around shouting and swearing  ) but for everyother bite here a liberal application of Tiger balm seems to take all redness away and all the itchiness..... at least it does for me.

Some other good remedies posted here.

I was just going to post that, Freebie. Helps with many itchy skin things I've found.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

On the subject of red ants I had a pretty bad encounter with them when doing a recce on a new road being built between Occidental Mindoro and Oriental Mindoro. I'd been following the route which at the time was a dirt track bulldozed through the jungle. 

I came to the end of the track which was near a beach and instead of going through the jungle followed the coast. After about 1km the beach ran out and I was faced with a swim or climb a rock face about 60m high to what looked like another bulldozed track that had come from the other direction. It looked an easy scramble so I set off up it but near the top it got pretty steap so I ended up climbing. I reached up to a ledge about 5m from the summit and was pulling myself up when the ants hit. I'd stumbled on a nest and couldn't go back down as there was lots of loose rock.  They had me for a good few minutes before I got past the ledge and as I got over the top I felt nauseous as I'd been bitten so many times,  even my heart rate was pumping like crazy.  Never again. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, OnMyWay said:

a lips.jpg

• Haha 3