Pasig River Pollution

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, longway said:

Why no trash cans?

Simple answer:  Anywhere I have seen trash cans I have also seen homeless people, dogs, cats, and rats scattering the contents looking for anything of value or edible.  Then someone has to clean it up.  Better to tell people:  If you have trash with you, keep it with you until you can deposit it somewhere secure.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, longway said:

Why no trash cans?

If there were trash cans;

Would they be emptied on a scheduled basis?

Would they be stolen?

Would people riffle through the garbage to find cans, glass, etc?

Would dogs tip over the trash cans and scatter refuse?

Unless all of these questions can be answered positively

And finally if the above challenges could be solved - Would they be used?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Would they be stolen?

Spot on!.....our barangay made some wooden trash bins out of scrap wood....those stayed but the plastic trash bags were stolen in minutes

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, longway said:

In Cebu City I was walking home with an empty coffee cup looking for a trash can. The Walk home was about 25 minutes. Never did spot one. I Just carried the cup home and deposited it in my trash can. Why no trash cans?

Every public eatery has a trash bag, usually an old rice or cement sack on the ground, you probably passed a dozen on your walk home.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 11/18/2022 at 6:12 AM, Mike J said:

If there were trash cans;

Would they be emptied on a scheduled basis?

Would they be stolen?

Would people riffle through the garbage to find cans, glass, etc?

Would dogs tip over the trash cans and scatter refuse?

Unless all of these questions can be answered positively

And finally if the above challenges could be solved - Would they be used?

I was living in Puerto Galera for a couple of years and after lots of complaining by foreigners and being told if you don't like it go home they took it upon themselves to purchase some bins and placed them in strategic places, they were gone after a few days.

The next lot were secured by chains, one for recyclable and one non recyclable, everything went into them regardless and many just dropped their waste beside them and I never once saw them being emptied. A bit like on Boracay without the stealing. 

• Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

"No littering" is not in the culture here but I also remember the no littering campaign in the USA during the 60's. At the time US citizens were some trash throwing folks. Roadsides were terrible, especially in the rural areas I lived in. Eventually peer pressure and fines caused a change in behavior for the good. Some people went to extremes though. A self appointed litter warden chased me down in Portland Oregon to yell at me because I threw a chicken bone out the window of my government car, threatened to call the president. :89:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

"No littering" is not in the culture here but I also remember the no littering campaign in the USA during the 60's. At the time US citizens were some trash throwing folks. Roadsides were terrible, especially in the rural areas I lived in. Eventually peer pressure and fines caused a change in behavior for the good. Some people went to extremes though. A self appointed litter warden chased me down in Portland Oregon to yell at me because I threw a chicken bone out the window of my government car, threatened to call the president. :89:

It was a real wakeup call for the USA whan pollution got so bad that a river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire and was instrumental in helping to create the Clean River Act.

image.jpeg

Possum
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Mike J said:

It was a real wakeup call for the USA whan pollution got so bad that a river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire and was instrumental in helping to create the Clean River Act.

That was a good Act. People don't realize how bad pollution used to be in the USA. In the 1980's the US Army Corp of Engineers had to replace a 70+ year old pier on the Hudson river in NY due worms destroying the pilings. When I asked how it lasted so long but suddenly needed replacing one of the ACE guys told me that for 60 years the water was so polluted a worm couldn't live in it but once the water started getting cleaner the worms thrived. He was very serious.

• Like 1