Pasig River Pollution

intrepid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Greglm said:

"No littering" is not in the culture here but I also remember the no littering campaign in the USA during the 60's. At the time US citizens were some trash throwing folks. Roadsides were terrible, especially in the rural areas I lived in. Eventually peer pressure and fines caused a change in behavior for the good. Some people went to extremes though. A self appointed litter warden chased me down in Portland Oregon to yell at me because I threw a chicken bone out the window of my government car, threatened to call the president. :89:

Just like so many rules and laws in the Philippines where they are mostly overlooked.  A little enforcement, (and a lot of education), could go a long way.  Initial fines need to be high enough and enforced to get the attention of the offenders.  After a few get pinched word will spread quickly.  Then there has to be no letup, which of course is not the Philippine norm.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

a river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire and was instrumental in helping to create the Clean River Act.

Cool!  They taught us in Canadian schools that the Clean Water Act was a direct result of "Silent Spring", an environmental science book by Rachel Carson

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Cool!  They taught us in Canadian schools that the Clean Water Act was a direct result of "Silent Spring", an environmental science book by Rachel Carson

Silent Spring did have quite an impact but it had much more to do with regulating the use and/or stopping the use of certain pesticides.   If memory serves me right DDT was banned as the general public learned of its toxicity.

Edit - found this using google

<snip>Kennedy ordered the President's Science Advisory Committee to examine the issues the book raised, its report thoroughly vindicated both Silent Spring and its author. As a result, DDT came under much closer government supervision and was eventually banned.<end snip>

Edited by Mike J
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Just a tiny bit related to the topic!

316148517_10229302584215023_5309206298695317027_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1