Double standards with Covid restrictions and it's effect on the public.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

You make a good point, relaxing restrictions too early (when the vaccines protect the vaccinated but don't stop spread) will increase risk to the unvaccinated.

I have zero sympathy for those who refuse to be vaccinated and get sick but people who couldn't access a vaccine are a different matter and society does owe a duty of care to them.

As to vacination being required for certain jobs I don't have a problem with it because it comes down again the 'employers duty of care' under the law.

We're on the same page more or less.  

I'm very much on the fence regarding the job question, though.  I suppose if it was very focused on very specific jobs I'd be comfortable i.e. those working directly with at-risk groups so doctors, nurses, care home front-line staff.  But, where would be draw the line even in such occupations? I suppose the law will address that naturally as and when liability is contested in the courts.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose if it was very focused on very specific jobs I'd be comfortable i.e. those working directly with at-risk groups so doctors, nurses, care home front-line staff.  But, where would be draw the line even in such occupations? I suppose the law will address that naturally as and when liability is contested in the courts.

The devil is in the details as the old saying says... and you're right (again).  Personally I don't have a problem with requiring vaccination in front line health workers (that's already the case in Australia for the flu vaccine anyway) and I don't have a problem with similar requirements for those working in aged care facilities.

There is a lesser (but still compeling) case that workers who will be exposed to many people during their working shift (supermarket check out people, bus drivers etc etc) should be protected by vaccination because they have the potential to infect large numbers of people (potentially leaving the employer with legal issues).

But I wouldn't like to see employers being able to require it for 'any' job, it should be restricted to those roles where there is a reasonable risk of infection occuring.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

There is a lesser (but still compeling) case that workers who will be exposed to many people during their working shift (supermarket check out people, bus drivers etc etc) should be protected by vaccination because they have the potential to infect large numbers of people (potentially leaving the employer with legal issues).

There's an argument for supermarket staff to be jabbed.  Then, how about taxi drivers, bus drivers and so on.  Ultimately, pretty much everyone who interacts with others could be a compelling case.

It's a tough one!

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Ultimately, pretty much everyone who interacts with others could be a compelling case.

I agree... and I'm happy for that to be 'the line' (I realize others are not) but personally if you can isolate yourself from others at your employement then I'm ok with people not being vaccinated otherwise (with varying priorities) the employer should be able to include it as a condition of employment (at least for new employees or when contracts are renegotiated periodically).

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I agree... and I'm happy for that to be 'the line' (I realize others are not) but personally if you can isolate yourself from others at your employement then I'm ok with people not being vaccinated otherwise (with varying priorities) the employer should be able to include it as a condition of employment (at least for new employees or when contracts are renegotiated periodically).

For new hires, absolutely.   

For existing employees, under UK employment law it would be a touch one to implement unless the govt were to make it Law.  In time we'd get to where we need to be.  

The caveat always is having discretion to exempt those who cannot be vaccinated for "acceptable" reasons. 

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, Jack D said:

Explorer's never-ending need to be insensitive never ceases to surprise me. I'm glad that there's still a few members and moderators on this forum who find Explorer's comments to be continuously and endlessly distasteful.

:89:

I am scratching my head here, trying to figure out which of my posts are "insensitive" and "endlessly distasteful"? Most of what I write is just common sense that many can agree, this is what I wrote in this forum just from the top of my head

- promoted healthy life style/nutrition instead of life long dependency on big Pharma.

- promoted use of vitamin D and zinc as protection against covid.

- mentioned the availability of Ivermectin as therapeutics for covid.

- Distrusted Dr. Fauci and other government bureaucrats.

- Mentioned the hypocrisy of the PH government who for years ignored hunger and tuberculosis that primarily impacted the poor but implemented draconian measures for covid.

- mentioned that 80% of the covid fatalities are obese (not the typical poor Filipino).

- warned against unknown long term affects of not FDA approved mRNA vaccines.

- Big Pharma is in cahoot with big tech and big media, big Pharma long history of deceit for sake of profits.

- Mentioned that while the PH is closed for tourists other tourist destinations are available.

Sure I missed something, please help me out...

Edited by Explorer
  • Sad 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, Jack D said:

Since my grand-parents, uncles and cousins had to dig their own graves prior to being machine-gunned by the 'super race.'

Sorry to those who want me to just "let this go," but I'm one of many Jews who simply refuse to comply with the rants and demands of the 'master race.'

Screaming "racism" is very common in this day and age, just to be clear, I have close relatives who died during the 2nd world war, should I go into the gruesome details just to score points? No, I won't!

Edited by Explorer
  • Sad 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Screaming "racism" is very common in this day and age

Nah! It's gone on and on throughout history, most notably in Nazi-Germany, one of your favorite topics (as of lately).

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Sure I missed something, please help me out...

Nope! You'll need no help from me in that department, since you're doing quite well on your own.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Automated members message

This topic is now locked awaiting the admins review. Once the topic has been reviewed it may reopen as is or to the admins discretion.