Rats eating the Cars wiring.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

There is lots of snakes in the reeds down by the river, even the occasional Cobra comes into our yard, I was told one of the dogs went too close to a cobra that was in the yard, as soon as the snake flared the dog shat itself and quickly retreated.

I guess the snakes are too well fed.

Probably they are - plenty of low-lying fruit to bother about the rats. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I would stick with using rat bait but place it where the dogs cannot access it.

I am a bit surprised you have a rat issue while having the three guard dogs. We recently purchased a dog of the same breed as yours and we have not seen any more rats (which did eat bait before) or the mongrel cat that used to poo in our yard...

We are fortunate to have a good fence (wall) around our property. We had a guy weld up some "barriers" or steel plates around the gates where we sometimes saw rats entering before. I think the rats are too fat to fit through now and we have not had a problem since - no rats, no cat...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I haven't seen dogs or cats eating rat bait.  I have seen them eating nearly dead rats who ate the poison.  And then the dogs or cats get sick for a week then die.  Its a horrible way for them to die.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 6/18/2021 at 11:16 AM, Tommy T. said:

I am a bit surprised you have a rat issue while having the three guard dogs. We recently purchased a dog of the same breed as yours and we have not seen any more rats (which did eat bait before) or the mongrel cat that used to poo in our yard...

We are fortunate to have a good fence (wall) around our property. We had a guy weld up some "barriers" or steel plates around the gates where we sometimes saw rats entering before. I think the rats are too fat to fit through now and we have not had a problem since - no rats, no cat...

Tommy, I was told yesterday that one of the bitches has been catching the rats, so at least one of them is earning their keep.

When all 3 of them were puppies I encouraged them to exterminate the feral cats , which worked a treat until one day the same bitch that caught the rat saw a kitten which was being held by a little girl (her pet pussy) and started running towards the girl, about 100 meters away, the girl saw the dog racing towards her dropped the kitten and started running away. These Belgians are known for their strong jaws, so it was one snap and goodnight kitten. So we bought the little girl a chicken, that lasted for a couple of days till we saw the same bitch coming home with the chicken in her mouth.

I stopped encouraging them to chase cats, after watching a video where a Belgian lost an eye when a cornered cat fought back. 

I came out one morning and the 3 dogs were running around the car barking their heads off, I lifted the bonnet and their sitting on the air filter was a big pussy, 4 legged type, the bitch saw it at the same time, once again one snap.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone for the replies to my rat problem with the cars,. Both cars were taken to a reliable mechanic, where wiring was replaced and the engine bays cleaned where the rats were making home.

I did a bit of research and discovered that rats don’t like the smell of mothballs, napthalene,so the GF is going to get some small netting bags fill them with mothballs, get some Zip ties and hang them in the engine bays, maybe off the firewall somewhere.

Edited by Onemore52
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

I did a bit of research and discovered that rats don’t like the smell of mothballs, napthalene,so the GF is going to get some small netting bags fill them with mothballs, get some Zip ties and hang them in the engine bays, maybe off the firewall somewhere.

I wonder if that will work because of how hot it can under a car hood.  Especially if bogged down in stop and go traffic on a hot day.

When heated at 80 °C, napthalene rapidly sublimes directly from a solid into a gas, eventually leaving nothing remaining in the crucible. On cool surfaces, the gaseous naphthalene will re-solidify to form needle-like crystals. This process is a method of purifying napthalene.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Mike J, thanks for the very informative reply, so looks as though back to plan A, being rat bait on top of the battery box of a night. The only reason I went away from plan A in the first place was that the bait would have to be rid of every morning least in spill on the driveway, where the dogs could eat it.

Thanks for setting me straight, which is what this forum is about I suppose, people sharing their knowledge.

Cheers,

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

people sharing their knowledge.

Actually, I thought you were on the right track as this Chev dealer suggests something similar:

2. USE TASTE & SMELL DETERRENTS
There are a number of substances that are supposed to repel rodents through unpleasant tastes and smells, and you can put these in your engine bay. Substances like capsaicin (which makes peppers spicy), peppermint oil, and bitter apple spray can be applied to the wires. Then, a rodent might start to gnaw, only to discover that the bad flavor isn't worth it. You can buy these as spray, and they're also available as a special kind of "rodent tape" that you can wrap around the wires. Similarly, the scent of mothballs or powdered fox urine might drive rodents away.

https://www.wilsonvillechevrolet.com/service/things-to-know-when-rodents-damage-your-vehicle-wiring-wilsonville-or

Perhaps you are supposed to remove the mothballs when you start 'er up?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave, I reckon you are onto something there, easier to remove a bag of mothballs than to sweep up bait pellets.

Maybe we could get the hired help to do it but the last maid only lasted a week, they must have a lot of money or a rich boyfriend, either way it is like a revolving door here with the maids.

Edited by Onemore52
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I would hang near the problem area, some sort of programmable alarm set to go off every 15 minutes.... just loud enough to disturb and frighten the little nuisances away. It might work even using an old mobile phone. :89: