Duterte says get vaccinated or die

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Duterte tells public: Get vaccinated or die

Spoiler

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte has advised people who refuse to get vaccinated against COVID to buy their coffins or prepare their cremation plans as they would surely die of the virus.

Duterte said the government has done everything it could to convince people to avail themselves of the vaccines, but others still refuse to do so.

“Sabi nga ‘pag nabili ‘yong lahat ng bakuna, sobra, kasi maraming tumatanggi (Once all the needed vaccines are purchased, there would be excess supply because many refuse to be inoculated),” Duterte said during a pre-recorded public address on Monday.

“Now ulitin ko ulit. ‘Pag hindi ka nagpabakuna, mamamatay ka talaga. So planuhin mo na ‘yong buhay mo kung paano pagdating ng panahon... Bili ka ng kabaong o magpasunog ka. Magkano ang bayaran mo at maghanap ka na ng pwesto sa sementeryo. Ganyan ‘yan eh. Ayaw ninyong magpabakuna? Patay kayo sigurado (I will repeat: if you do not get vaccinated, you would really die. So plan your life, buy your coffin, have yourself cremated. Determine how much you will pay and find a slot in the cemetery. That’s the way it is. You do not want to be vaccinated? You will surely die),” he added.

Duterte said the government could not provide for those who do not want to get vaccinated with medicines that are not part of the national budget.

“You can say that you can be brought to the hospital. But the rich can buy all the medicines that are very expensive,” he said.

“If that (medicine) is funded under a contingency fund, it’s possible. But for now, I will tell you, to those who do not want to be vaccinated or are afraid to be vaccinated, goodbye to you. That’s what you deserve. Goodbye,” he added.

A Social Weather Stations survey conducted from April 28 to May 2 indicated that only 32 percent of Filipinos were willing to be inoculated against COVID.

A third of the respondents, 33 percent of them, were not willing to avail themselves of the pandemic shots while 35 percent were unsure about the matter.

Officials have given assurance that all vaccines approved by food and drug regulators are safe and effective against COVID.

They said all vaccine brands could protect the recipient against severe and critical COVID and prevent hospitalization and death.

more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/06/16/2105799/duterte-tells-public-get-vaccinated-or-die

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte has advised people who refuse to get vaccinated against COVID to buy their coffins or prepare their cremation plans as they would surely die of the virus.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont mind dying. Will i get some sort of rebate or discount ? 

• Haha 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

110 mill population, 23k covid deaths so far.... that 0.021% of total population have died.

President could look at tuberculosis that represents 0.023% of population... more deadly and easily treated.

Then again Im not a hotshot lawyer......

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

At least he gave the people a choice. :hystery:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Freebie said:

President could look at tuberculosis that represents 0.023% of population... more deadly and easily treated.

Good point, but TB is not so easily treated.  Takes six to nine months on up to four different meds.  And so many people stop taking the meds when they "feel better".  Result is TB that is increasingly drug resistant.   A further challenge is that 90% of those who have TB are asymptomatic.  :sad:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Freebie said:

110 mill population, 23k covid deaths so far.... that 0.021% of total population have died.

Then again Im not a hotshot lawyer......

Can't argue with that.

But, it would seem strange if the Philippines was one of the only countries to not have a vaccination programme against Covid.  This would leave the place isolated in terms of tourism for example. 

They should be addressing both, of course.

Shady
Posted
Posted

"Follow our vaccination programme against Covid...or die!"

At least he's honest.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Shady said:

"Follow our vaccination programme against Covid...or die!"

At least he's honest.

A trait that is to be admired and increasingly rare in politicians. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well if 49 people were well enough to go to work with covid I dont think the president is correct.

49 construction workers in Cebu City test positive for COVID-19

CEBU CITY––At least 49 construction workers employed to complete a building in this city tested positive for COVID-19.

Councilor Joel Garganera, deputy chief implementer of the city’s Emergency Operations Center, said this was the first time in several months, where many people in the same workplace contracted the virus.

All 49 workers, he said, had been taken out from the construction site and brought to isolation centers in Cebu City.

Garganera said the infections were detected when more than 100 construction workers underwent swab testing for COVID-19 after a co-worker tested positive for an antigen test last week.

Contact tracing was still ongoing. Most of the workers were living together in a bunkhouse.

The construction site at the Cebu I.T. Park in Barangay Apas, Cebu City is where several high-rise buildings and business process outsourcing firms in Metro Cebu are located.

Garganera said a majority of the workers had no or mild symptoms only.

As of Tuesday, Cebu City has 24,943 COVID-19 cases, but only 637 are active.

The city is under modified general community quarantine.

Garganera appealed to all construction firms in the city to intensify its policies so all workers would abide by the health protocols to prevent the spread of the virus.

“I’m grateful to officials of construction projects who coordinated with the city government to help contain the virus,” he said.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1447170/49-construction-workers-in-cebu-city-test-positive-for-covid-19

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2021 at 10:01 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont mind dying. Will i get some sort of rebate or discount ? 

You probably won’t consider this a real rebate, but I noticed a ‘buy one (coffin) - take one’ sale a few years back in the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1