Requesting help RE relocation to Cebu/Mactan during covid - several questions

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, KenM said:

Greetings! It's great to find a forum of expats living in the Philippines. I realize some of my questions may have been covered in different areas over time. But covid may have changed things. If anyone has the time to respond I would be grateful. 

My fiancé is a citizen of the Philippines who has regained her citizenship as of a year back after living in the UK and US for many years. I am a US citizen 51 years old but not retired. We would like to move to the Cebu/Mactan area on a permanent basis as soon as is practicable. We were hoping to marry there but covid restrictions may prevent this plan. 

1) Does anyone have any information from local sources as to when tourist visas may resume for non-citizens traveling to the Philippines?

2) It is our understanding that currently I can only travel there given covid if we are prior married in the states and the certificate authenticated by the Philippines Embassy here. Would I need a tourist visa to travel there with my wife? How long could I remain on without the visa or on tourist visa considering renewals?

3) We are both vaccinated but understand a quarantine period would still be required with a  test after several days. We would be traveling with out dog, however. Would we be able to leave the hotel room long enough to walk the dog or at least take her to relieve herself?

4) Can anyone suggest a trustworthy realtor/broker in the area?

5) I would be required to deposit 20K on the SRRV visa. Is it difficult or advisable to use these funds for condo purchase after 6 months or a year? 

6) I am a university instructor at an online university in the states. Would I need a work permit to continue this work? Would I be allowed to work at universities in the Philippines (I've read contradictory information)? Is there any other work I would not be allowed to do?

7) Are there any things to know about renting and buying there coming from the US with no credit in the Philippines? 

8) Can anyone provide guidance on car lease or purchase under these circumstances? Seems we would need a car right away. 

Thanks very much, 

Ken

Welcome Ken!

4) Unlike our respective countries, much of property buying here is done by word of mouth rather than agencies.  My limited experience with a property agent was just in renting a temporary place and then my long-term place - it wasn't terrible experience but not a great one either.  I'd certainly say wait until you hit the ground before even starting a property search.  Most of us start in our wife's home area - some wise old owls suggest this may not be the best option but it has worked for me. 

5) That's a difficult question - condo living has its pros and cons so, again, I'd suck it and see on that.  

6) We had this debate on here a few weeks ago - it seems unclear when referring to online work.  If you are married then it's no issue (bar tax) as you are entitled to work under a 13a visa.  If not married, then you, or rather your prospective employer, would need to apply for a work visa.  From others' comments, that is not the easiest thing in the world depending on your job type.  Basically, if a local can do it then you're struggling.

7) All you need to know is that it's all about the money when renting.  As for buying, it would depend on if you were taking a mortgage or buying cash but, again, money talks so where there's a will (and a wallet) there's away.  I am not suggesting anything underhand b.t.w. just that where someone wants to buy something and someone wants to sell a way will be found.

Good Luck! 

• Like 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, KenM said:

3) We are both vaccinated but understand a quarantine period would still be required with a  test after several days. We would be traveling with out dog, however. Would we be able to leave the hotel room long enough to walk the dog or at least take her to relieve herself?

you're not allowed to leave the room period, and that is very strict - that's the point of quarantine

5 hours ago, KenM said:

5) I would be required to deposit 20K on the SRRV visa. Is it difficult or advisable to use these funds for condo purchase after 6 months or a year? 

Isn't the SRRV still suspended? (not sure as I'm not here on that visa)

PH Consulate would be able to tell you.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, skippyscage said:

Isn't the SRRV still suspended? (not sure as I'm not here on that visa

Not any longer, it's been available for a couple of months or so now.  Not certain but I think its only obtainable from within the Phils at the moment.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2021 at 10:17 AM, Mike J said:

When did they change the requirement to be with the spouse?  I missed that.

Just to clarify I should not have said Balikbayan visa as allowed to enter without wife but a spouse can enter with a 9a without the wife with them. 

About 23 July                                   Today? 

2 weeks.jpg                   Today.jpg

Who knows if one hand does not know what the other is doing. 

26 July 2021
PRESS RELEASE
Alien spouses, children, parents of Pinoys need 
not present entry exemption doc starting Aug. 1 - BI
The Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that starting Aug. 1, its officers at the ports will no longer require the presentation of an entry exemption document (EED) from foreign spouses, children and parents of Filipino citizens who are traveling to the Philippines as tourists to visit their kin here.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said the new policy is in compliance with the latest resolution of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infection Diseases (IATF) which eased the entry travel requirements for foreigners related by marriage or filiation to Filipinos.
Previously, these aliens are allowed entry into the Philippines only if they have valid 9(a) tourist visas as well as an EED issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) through its various embassies or consulates abroad.
Those who fail to secure and present either one of the two documents are excluded and turned back upon arrival at the ports of entry.
Under the new IATF resolution, foreign spouses, children and parents of Filipinos will only be required to present 9(a) tourist visas beginning on Saturday.
The IATF, however, instructed the DFA to include in the visa of said aliens the notation: “EED not required per IATF Resolution No. 128 (s.2021).”
“We welcome this latest ruling of the IATF as it will now be easier and convenient for foreigners whose Filipino spouses and children are currently in the Philippines to visit and reunite with their loved ones,” Morente said.
The BI chief stressed that the new travel guidelines apply only to foreigners who are not accompanied by their Filipino spouses or Filipino parents in going to the Philippines.
“Foreigners who are traveling with their Filipino spouses or parents are eligible for the Balikbayan program and they may be admitted visa-free for a one-year stay,” Morente said.
He explained that those who are not traveling with their Filipino principal must apply for a 9(a) tourist visa from a Philippine consulate abroad, which they would use for entry to the Philippines.
BI Port Operations Division Chief Atty. Carlos Capulong reminded that while the exemption on alien families of Filipinos has been loosened, the ban for those coming from 10 countries due to the Covid-19 Delta variant remains.
“Those coming from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand are still not allowed to enter the country,” said Capulong.  “This includes those who have a travel history to said countries within the last 14 days from their date of arrival,” he added.
Said travel ban, said Capulong, remains in effect until July 31, unless extended or expanded by the IATF. 
#BureaofImmigration

• Like 1

KenM
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for the replies. The SRRV can be had but only from within the country. Entry requires an embassy validated marriage license and either traveling with spouse or 9a visa… not sure how hard that is to get right now. Embassy website in LA says they are swamped and not to show up without an appointment. Need to find an approved hotel that has some solution for walking the dog. That’s my biggest worry right now. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, KenM said:

Thanks all for the replies. The SRRV can be had but only from within the country. Entry requires an embassy validated marriage license and either traveling with spouse or 9a visa… not sure how hard that is to get right now. Embassy website in LA says they are swamped and not to show up without an appointment. Need to find an approved hotel that has some solution for walking the dog. That’s my biggest worry right now. 

Google "pet friendly hotels Manila" and you will find a list.  You would then need to check the respective hotel to see if they are on the approved list.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, KenM said:

It might be better to find a friend or kennel that could look after your dog until your quarantine is over then ship you the dog. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

There are many stories, some good and some obviously bad of people who have shipped their dogs. Seems theres no one hard fast rule ( similar to Immigration offices ) and depends who you talk to as to what info you get. Friend recently arrived with their dog from Jordan and the process was relatively simple only because they were well prepared and had a relative who smoothed some of the path for them.  As always research will get you so far, documentation ( shots, pedigree, etc etc ) will help and the best thing you need is.. Patience and a good tolerance for some nonsense and lack of logic  that will surely be encountered. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, KenM said:

Need to find an approved hotel that has some solution for walking the dog. That’s my biggest worry right now. 

With the ever changing rules if I was you I would wait until all this is over. Your dog will be a major problem in the current situation. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Get married first.

Come in on Balikbayan scheme (with your Mrs and marriage cert)...entitles you to 1 year stay.

Apply for ...and receive 13A visa, once in-country. Then permitted to stay, and to work or run a business. :smile:

Do check with the Phils Immigration first though. :thumbsup: