Requesting help RE relocation to Cebu/Mactan during covid - several questions

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 8/1/2021 at 4:16 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

With the ever changing rules if I was you I would wait until all this is over. Your dog will be a major problem in the current situation. 

I'm afraid that this will not be all over for a very long time in the Philippines https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/philippines/ I fear it may not be possible to get in or out again in the future and possibly for some time. Especially if there are more variants of the virus. I'm assuming with all the right paperwork we should be able to get in with the dog. We would have to go to the embassy for marriage certificate certification so could have a final discussion with them at the time. 

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 8/1/2021 at 6:26 AM, graham59 said:

Get married first.

Come in on Balikbayan scheme (with your Mrs and marriage cert)...entitles you to 1 year stay.

Apply for ...and receive 13A visa, once in-country. Then permitted to stay, and to work or run a business. :smile:

Do check with the Phils Immigration first though. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. The SRRV visa may be preferable and is being issued again from in country. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We wish you luck in returning Ken. There are several members who are unable to return and be with their family or significant other. Hard times.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

We wish you luck in returning Ken. There are several members who are unable to return and be with their family or significant other. Hard times.

A friend of mine who has an SRRV was able to return about a week ago.  He is American but had lived in Germany for many years prior to moving here.  He had to return to Germany to renew his German passport and ended up stuck there for almost a year.

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2021 at 6:46 PM, Snowy79 said:

It might be better to find a friend or kennel that could look after your dog until your quarantine is over then ship you the dog. 

Still trying to research the (current) rules for Philippines. Generally speaking, you can fly a dog as luggage to most countries (though not the UK) if you are on the flight but otherwise it becomes much more expensive to ship the dog as cargo. Also scares me more under the circumstances. Good idea otherwise. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, KenM said:

Still trying to research the (current) rules for Philippines. Generally speaking, you can fly a dog as luggage to most countries (though not the UK) if you are on the flight but otherwise it becomes much more expensive to ship the dog as cargo. Also scares me more under the circumstances. Good idea otherwise. 

We lived in Washington state.  When we moved we flew via Japan as that was the shortest overall time for the dogs to be on the plane.  We also gave them two days to rest/recover in Manila prior to flying onto Cebu City.  The rules and requirements can be complex and confusing.  We ended up hiring a service that handled most of it for us.  It ended up costing more to fly the two dogs then it did to fly myself and wife.  But hey, they are "fur kids", right?

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted (edited)

KenM-  As always, you are getting some good advice here from very observant people who understand what being in the Philippines is all about and whose opinions may be from a different viewpoint then your Filipino friends in California.

Entry to the Philippines is in constant flux and can change while you are in the air.  Many of us are stuck outside and increasing hospitalizations are an indication that we will be out for some more months.  But if planning an affluent lifestyle (by local standards) and able to afford whatever travel glitches and special services may be required, it certainly is just a matter of the right paperwork, right timing and then let the adventure begin!

Yet, I know many pet owners consider their dog to be family (I have a “grand-dog”) and would not intentionally put them at more risk then absolutely necessary.  Bringing a pet to the Philippines will always involve a little risk, yet most attempts seem to be successful with only minor hiccups.  However, bringing a pet during Covid & mandatory isolation does elevate the chances of a snafu, possibly subjecting your 'family member' to additional risks that may be avoided by waiting for the situation to stabilize.

Even if you find a hotel on the approved list, you call them and they agree to walk your dog for you, don’t be surprised if it does not happen when you get here.  Phone/email promises evaporate faster than my cash around my in-laws.  Perhaps Mike J’s suggestion of a service is worth considering, assuming that they can reliably operate during the constantly changing Covid restrictions.

Rules change here continually and inconsistency is more the norm than the exception.  This is not the kind of country where you can just ask to speak the a supervisor after getting a decision you don’t like and then have your issue resolved.

Good luck, and keep pushing on the visa paperwork!

Edited by KC813
clarity, but I still probably failed!
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, KenM said:

There are topics here on requirements' for importing animals. There are company's here that will do everything for a fee of course. Finding out if any quarantine hotel allows animals and if importing animals is allowed during covid is another necessary thing.

From memory the animal will be held for a time at a quarantine center for animals anyway so depends on the time you have to do quarantine yourself you may not be with the dog anyway. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here is a website from the Philippine embassy in Los Angeles.  It sounds like the requirements have not changed much in eight years.   Note that the pet has to be health inspected by a USDA certified vet.  It took us awhile to find one,  Also each airline has its own rules about pets.  The crate must also meet certain standards in size, ability for dog to get water, etc.  You may also need special forms if you change planes between the USA and Philippines.  For us is was Japan.  When we brought in our two dogs there was no quarantine required when we arrived.  Good luck

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/notar1als/related-services/importation-of-pets-to-the-philippines

The Philippine Consulate General informs the public of the revised requirements for the transport of pets from the United States to the Philippines:

Import permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI), which can be obtained from https://www.intercommerce.com.ph/registrationbai.asp (detailed procedures for the import permit application may be found in Annex A below); and
Health certificate issued by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) veterinarian or USDA-accredited veterinarian, dated within 30 days of arrival in the Philippines.
Mandatory identification of pet dog or cat with ISO compliant microchip / RFID (radio-frequency identification)
Failure to present these requirements may result in pet/s being quarantined upon arrival in the Philippines.

Effective June 01, 2018, dogs and cats imported without the required identification will be declined entry and returned to its origin. All costs incurred will be shouldered by the importer.

The public is further informed that authentication of the USDA Health Certificate by the Philippine Consulate General is no longer required.

ANNEX A: TRANSPORT OF PETS

REQUIREMENTS:

Import permit issued by the Philippines’ Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI)
Health certificate issued by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) veterinarian or USDA-accredited veterinarian.
Mandatory identification of pet dog or cat with ISO compliant microchip / RFID (radio-frequency identification)
Note: the above requirements must be presented at the Philippine airport upon arrival of the pet. (Failure to present the requirements may result in pet/s being quarantined upon arrival).

PROCEDURES:

To obtain an import permit from the Philippines’ Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI)
Go to http://www.bai.da.gov.ph/ and click BAI ONE TIME LINK (almost at the bottom of the page). This leads to the form to fill out and submit.
Alternately, do direct to https://www.intercommerce.com.ph/registrationbai.asp and fill out the form.
Applicant will be asked for a Username (email) and password, which will be used to check the status of the application. The status could be: 1) for Endorsement (meaning the application is waiting for the signature of the approving authority); 2) Approved; Rejected (the applicant will have to re-apply).

To check the status of the application, go to http://www.intercommerce.com.ph/home.asp or http://www.intercommerce.com.ph/login.asphome=HOME

If approved, click the reference number and it will bring applicant to the 3-page SPS permit.  Print the permit and present this at the Quarantine station in the airport (Philippines).

Approval usually takes 1-2 days.  Validity of the SPS permit is two months.

Please read the other requirements on the permit in order to import your pet(s), i.e. Veterinary Health Certificate and the updated Vaccination Record.

For the updated Vaccination Record, the following is needed:

DOGS: rabies vaccination and vaccination against distemper, leptospirosis, parvovirus, adenovirus type 2.

CATS: rabies vaccination and vaccination against herpes, calicivirus, panleukopenia and feline leukemia

To obtain health certificate from US authority
Secure a health certificate for each pet from a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) veterinarian or USDA-accredited veterinarian. The health certificate should be dated within 30days before the date of arrival in the Philippines.  The certificate should certify that the animal is free from, and has not been recently exposed to, any dangerous or communicable disease, and that it has been given anti-rabies and other required inoculation.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/3/2021 at 8:35 AM, KenM said:

What breed is the dog?  Many airlines have banned small breeds like pugs, shih tsu, etc.

• Like 1