Australia lifts international travel restrictions for citizens

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Good news for our Australian members.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australia-lifts-international-travel-ban-for-citizens/ar-AAPZdoi?ocid=Peregrine

Australia will lift a ban on citizens travelling overseas without permission, the government announced Wednesday, with the country's border set to open to skilled workers and international students by year's end.

Australia banned international travel 18 months ago thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic© William WEST Australia banned international travel 18 months ago thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic
More than 18 months after Australia closed its international borders, fully vaccinated citizens will no longer have to seek an exemption to leave the country, a joint statement from the health and home affairs ministries said.

It comes as the country's adult double-dose vaccination rate edged closer to an 80 percent target.

Home Affairs minister Karen Andrews said that while Australian citizens were currently being prioritised, more travel restrictions -- including for some non-citizens -- would be eased as vaccination rates increased.

"Before the end of the year, we anticipate welcoming fully vaccinated skilled workers and international students," she said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who foreshadowed the changes earlier this month, said Australia was now "very close" to announcing a reciprocal travel bubble with Singapore, which announced late Tuesday that Australians no longer had to quarantine on arrival.

Qantas flights to the city-state are scheduled to resume on November 22.

"We're working to a timetable around about then which will see other visa-holders -- in addition to Australians returning or going to Singapore and returning who are double vaccinated -- being able to come to Australia," Morrison told Channel 7 television.

On March 20 last year Australia introduced some of the world's toughest border restrictions in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

For almost 600 days, countless international flights have been grounded, and overseas travel has slowed to a trickle.

Families have been split across continents, tens of thousands of nationals were stranded overseas and foreign residents were stuck in the country unable to see friends or relatives.

Quarantine arrangements for returning vaccinated residents will depend on where they arrive in Australia.

While Sydney has scrapped quarantine for returning travellers, other Australian states with lower vaccination rates still have mandatory and costly 14-day hotel quarantine requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

PAL flights to and from Australia will start in December and Cebu Pacific flights in January.

I'm am wondering how long before the Philippine border restrictions are relaxed for tourist visas though :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Good news for me at least.  I'm about to submit my 9a and EED application.  

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm am wondering how long before the Philippine border restrictions are relaxed for tourist visas though

This is getting better every week, I should be able to get in on a Balikyan, that's if I keep being nice to the wife. :28: I don't think I can make it to see this Jolly old fellow. 

• Like 5

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

PAL flights to and from Australia will start in December and Cebu Pacific flights in January.

I'm am wondering how long before the Philippine border restrictions are relaxed for tourist visas though :(

Geoff, with the current financial state of Philippine airlines would you trust your hard earned with them? Not for me Gunga din.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Geoff, with the current financial state of Philippine airlines would you trust your hard earned with them? Not for me Gunga din.

I agree but will keep an open mind, the wife is a traditional PI, must fly PAL, nothing marries up with their flight schedules here in OZ, QANTAS is my choice but, I'm only a male and not allowed to sit next to any female on the flight, even ugly ones. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Haha 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

You do have a point, the issue being that the only other direct flight alternative is Cebu Pacific whose seats are very tightly packed and I'm not exactly built like a filipino haha.

I have flown via Singapore and via Kuala Lumpur in the past but the transit times ex Melbourne are generally 8 to 12 hours wait time in the airport which was bad enough pre-covid.  With movement restrictions it'd be... unpleasant I suspect.

I'm beginning to think I might be better flying Melbourne to Sydney and then Sydney to Manila direct which gives me more choice of airlines.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

the seats are very tightly packed in and I'm not exactly built like a filipino hehe.

Personally, I will not leave the country until Premium Economy is up and running....

crowed plane.jpg

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

I agree but will keep an open mind, the wife is a traditional PI, must fly PAL, nothing marries up with their flight schedules here in OZ, QANTAS is my choice but, I'm only a male and not allowed to sit next to any female on the flight, even ugly ones. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

Qantas is your choice.....Well times must of changed or else your  comfort zone is very different from mine. My last Qantas trip was admittedly over 10 years ago, swore after that horrible experience, from lousy food, arrogant bitches of staff never fly with them again. 

My airline of choice since for trips to Kiwi has been SAL, no complaint but schedule and price  not great. No issue now as impossible to get back due to Covid.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

arrogant bitches of staff never fly with them again. 

I've found them alright when I've flown with them, then again I've never tried to join the mile high club, :hystery: Not that I'm insinuating you did, but I will agree some women need to take a handful of happy pills when they get out of bed of a morning. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1