Aquiring a British Passport for a child.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Doesn't have to be income though, cash in the bank suffices. That makes it SLIGHTLY more manageable if you can stash away £20K without touching it for the 5 years i.e. you don't need 5x £18,600.  

Still a hefty hunk of change to have to keep lying around though.

I may be reading it wrong but the savings part isn't straight forward. 

The following equation is used when you rely on savings:

(x minus 16,000) divided by 2.5 = y Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control. And y is the amount which can be used towards the financial requirement. At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above £16,000 can be used. And the following equation is to be used: (x minus 16,000) = y

In short you need £62k savings on your initial application without any other income. Page 44 and 45 explain it in detail: 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/996814/appendix-fm-1-7-financial-requirement-v7.0-ext.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I may be reading it wrong but the savings part isn't straight forward. 

The following equation is used when you rely on savings:

(x minus 16,000) divided by 2.5 = y Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control. And y is the amount which can be used towards the financial requirement. At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above £16,000 can be used. And the following equation is to be used: (x minus 16,000) = y

In short you need £62k savings on your initial application without any other income. Page 44 and 45 explain it in detail: 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/996814/appendix-fm-1-7-financial-requirement-v7.0-ext.pdf

Cheers - I'll admit I didn't read the detail but understand the concept is based on a fixed amount at the outset rather than the x amount per annum as it would be with income - the fixed amount is much more than I imagined though.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

What also isn't taken into account by this 'one size fits all' financial requirement, is that those coming in on a Spouse settlement visa (not Fiancee) can legally work from the day they arrive anyway.... and probably a lot harder than some of the idle slobs who've been living off the state for years, but happened to have been born there. :rolleyes: 

There needs to be more flexibility in the system. 

• Love it 1