Anyone using windows 11 ?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If so is it worth it. Some things I read say best to wait a few months.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If so is it worth it. Some things I read say best to wait a few months.

I have been using it for a month or so, as has my son.  No issues thus far, but no actual benefits either.  

• Thanks 5

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lots of the 'experts' on YouTube seem to be saying 'don't bother' ...yet, anyway. 

Of course a lot of people will also find (as is the case with my laptop) that it is 'tough titty...your device aint good enough' time. :tongue:

Well balls to them. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am in the camp of "works fine now, no reason to upgrade".  Maybe in a year or if I should need to buy a new laptop.  Hopefully that will not happen any time soon as the prices for high end machines are at ridiculous levels.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I would have to use a work around to install Windows 11 on my main laptop because the Windows 11 hardware test comes up as not compatible.  It could be done but I have zero interest in making a working machine potentially less stable for basically zero benefits.

When I get around to replacing this laptop I'll look for one running Windows 11 but until then... nope.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Switched to MacOs Catalina on a new (to me) used machine last Christmas. Was tired of forced upgrades. When you buy a Windows machine you don't actually own it- Microsoft owns it. It took some getting used to, but I'm happy with it.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Linux is another alternative of course. I did run it ('Ubuntu') for a while on this laptop, but then gave in and back to ....at that time...friendly old Win 7. 

Upgraded free to Win 10, earlier this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

Lots of the 'experts' on YouTube seem to be saying 'don't bother' ...yet, anyway. 

Of course a lot of people will also find (as is the case with my laptop) that it is 'tough titty...your device aint good enough' time. :tongue:

Well balls to them. 

My laptop is a Panasonic toughbook always wanted one but was told they were not very good for home use as were too slow and most were setup for special users no good for games etc, i bought mine from a guy on facebook market place, sold as refurbished and running windows 10

It was as advertised looking like a new PC, i cloned the hard drive onto a new SSD which improved its performance by almost 100%

Considering what i paid for it and the price for a new laptop my toughbook was a bargain regardless of it regarded by many as rubbish

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

My laptop is one that I 'fixed', after it having been used by my son in the UK, as a doorstop for about a year, in his apartment. Belonged to his rich girlfriend. 

It is a Dell XPS 17 ... a damned good (and expensive) machine actually.  

Now 10 years old and working perfectly (touch wood), after being bought in Sweden, taken to England, and then on to the Philippines. :smile:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

My laptop is a Panasonic toughbook always wanted one but was told they were not very good for home use as were too slow and most were setup for special users no good for games etc, i bought mine from a guy on facebook market place, sold as refurbished and running windows 10

It was as advertised looking like a new PC, i cloned the hard drive onto a new SSD which improved its performance by almost 100%

Considering what i paid for it and the price for a new laptop my toughbook was a bargain regardless of it regarded by many as rubbish

I'm a triple Toughbook owner all running Windows 7 and wouldn't swap any of them. Never have any issues and don't play games so good enough for me. I've spent many an hour fixing issues for people running Windows 10 which would make me wary of Windows 11. 

• Like 2