New Absolute Divorce Bill 2021

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Slim Jim said:

WHY NOT make the requirements for getting married more difficult than just making it easier to get divorced?... not just in the Philippines, but everywhere!

Maybe it can be handled just like the the required waiting period to buy a handgun (or rifle) in some States/Nations?

What difference would a waiting period make? Most people dont get married at first sight. Even if you have been in a relationship for years does not mean once married that it will last forever. People change, circumstances change so no guarantees.

In the Philippines there is a 10 day waiting period once you have applied for a marriage licence. If under 25 must have counseling before a licence is given. 10 days should be enough to sober up and realise what a mistake you are making and catch a flight out. :laugh:

Anyway at least with divorce it can free people from being forced to stay in a relationship which may not be healthy and also allow both parties to move on if they find the next soul mate and want to remarry.

• Like 5

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In the Philippines there is a 10 day waiting period once you have applied for a marriage licence. If under 25 must have counseling before a licence is given. 10 days should be enough to sober up and realise what a mistake you are making and catch a flight out. :laugh:

Did I really have 10 whole days :89: or maybe the rules are just different for kanos who apply for a license to marry a Filipina :laugh:

In my case, It seemed like I was given an instant license (without any waiting period).

Wow! The brain must be the very first thing to go!...  not the other thingy (if you know what I mean).  

:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Slim Jim said:

Did I really have 10 whole days :89: or maybe the rules are just different for kanos who apply for a license to marry a Filipina :laugh:

In my case, It seemed like I was given an instant license (without any waiting period).

Well I recall in my case, that was the case of 10 days as its posted on a bulletin board at the registry office and that is for 10 days before the licence is granted. I assume it is so anyone can object.

If you Google requirements to marry in the Philippines every website says the same thing. Probably most places such as a church or marriage by judge may overlook the licence if your in a hurry but if the granted paperwork never comes through then you will probably be free to marry again as it would not have been a legal marriage. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well I recall in my case, that was the case of 10 days as its posted on a bulletin board at the registry office and that is for 10 days before the licence is granted. I assume it is so anyone can object.

Yes, ten day waiting period.

We met some Barangay official to "review" the mater same day and came to an agreeable arrangement for all parties. That was in 1998.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I wonder if I could have got my marriage cancelled on dodgy grounds, might have saved myself a fortune. When I went to do my banns I never realised the wating time and my wedding was only a couple of weeks away. Luckily the woman in the office took pity on me and sorted it out.  I wish she hadn't :hystery:

I reckon you bullied her as a child and she was able to get her revenge, finally! :hystery:

• Hmm thinking 1