Singapore as a transit to Manila

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As I mentioned in a earlier post that Philippine airlines is charging $2000 for a flight Sydney to Manila. Plan A out the window.

Plan B,C&D

If I could get minimal connection times through Singapore from Sydney, what are the risks I take there?

I have tried other airports KL. etc but the lay over times are horrendous.

Cheers

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

If I could get minimal connection times through Singapore from Sydney, what are the risks I take there?

Off the top of my head I can think of two. If there’s a delay you might need a second PCR test. Even though you’re technically still in transit, and likely won’t be allowed to leave the airport in Singapore, you never know how the BI or BOQ will view it. You might want search for see if they offer PCR testing at the Singapore airport and if you’d be able to access it. 

Secondly, I haven’t seen if they are doing away with the 1,500 passengers per day quota. I know it was in place so the hotels wouldn’t be overbooked. If the quota is still in place, I’d be looking for a the earliest arrival time in Manila I could find. 

What about flights to Cebu or Clark? I considered USA to Clark, but when I booked back in December the prices were significantly higher then flights to Manila. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

As I mentioned in a earlier post that Philippine airlines is charging $2000 for a flight Sydney to Manila. Plan A out the window.

Plan B,C&D

I have tried other airports KL. etc but the lay over times are horrendous.

Cheers

I you add in a throwaway ticket with PAL so Syd->Manil->Hong Kong multi-stop you'll find the price will drop significantly.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Yes... airlines hate passengers gaming their system by skipping legs.

I'm not saying it's not possible but it's nowhere as easy as it used to be.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I know things have changed and will again once more flights come on board but before covid I think the max connection times I had were 3 hours, one hour on the way back but I have no idea of flight schedules at the moment.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Yes……however a word of caution! Your bags will almost certainly be routed to HK. You won’t be able to ask for them to be offloaded in Manila. Even if the flight changes aircraft in Manila, your bags will be rerouted automatically to your declared destination, HK. Unless the ticket allows for a stopover and check-in in Manila of course. Airlines are wise to pax skipping the last leg to save money. They won’t make it easy for you. Okay of course if you just have carry on bags. 

Mine ended up in Manila no problems without requesting it.  Probably to do with the fact the Hong Kong leg wasn't until March and not even PAL could mess that up.  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Singapore as a transit.  A lovely idea, but . . .

Singapore Airlines are great.  They have specials on where our family of 3 can round trip Vancouver to Singapore for CDN$ 3000 which is almost half the price that Philippine Airlines wants to round trip Vancouver to Manila.

Problem is that Scoot airlines wants CDN$ 2500 to round trip Singapore to Cebu any time near the dates we want to visit.  Pfft.  There goes any savings.  Strange that they want almost as much on their discount airline for a 3 1/2 hour flight as their parent company asks for a 16 hour flight.

So using Singapore as a transit . . . whats the best way to get to Cebu?

PS Scoot has specials in April but our kid has Spring Break in March.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Singapore as a transit.  A lovely idea, but . . .

Singapore Airlines are great.  They have specials on where our family of 3 can round trip Vancouver to Singapore for CDN$ 3000 which is almost half the price that Philippine Airlines wants to round trip Vancouver to Manila.

Problem is that Scoot airlines wants CDN$ 2500 to round trip Singapore to Cebu any time near the dates we want to visit.  Pfft.  There goes any savings.  Strange that they want almost as much on their discount airline for a 3 1/2 hour flight as their parent company asks for a 16 hour flight.

So using Singapore as a transit . . . whats the best way to get to Cebu?

PS Scoot has specials in April but our kid has Spring Break in March.

Are you trying to book it as two tickets?  You should be able to book it just on SQ.