Not really good planning from IATF and BI

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Obviously many are happy the borders are opening on the 10th which is rightfully so.

My gripe about it which doesn't affect me is the way the big announcement is made like all non visa required countries can enter on the 10th and only unvaccinated need to do 5 days quarantine. Then a day or so later they put out a list of countries that they will accept the vax certificate from (30 only) which has thrown a spanner in the works for some or ruined their short lived joy.

Why did they not make these announcements together? Now much confusion for many.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

JGF - My first thought after reading your post was that a hacker was posting using your account.  We all know that the normal progression in the Philippines for the first seven days of any Covid decrees is “Announcement - clarification - modify - backtrack - provide details - modify - backtrack - clarification” until the policy it is superseded or expires!

But you are very right.  Making an announcement that the borders will open in two weeks does immediately effect many people.

I have been looking at the IATF resolution in regards to the proof of vaccination requirement.  As you said in another thread, trying to comply with the rules reduces the risk of problems.

Because of the sloppy releases of IATF/DFS/BI, I have still not seen conclusive evidence that the U.S. CDC vaccination card meets the stated IATF requirements because (for most of us in the states) it is not a “national/state digital certificate”.

Also, the ‘lists of 30 countries’ that are posted by DFS/BI Facebook pages that I have seen all are dated January 26 (the day before the IATF 159 resolution), and in the small print at the bottom of the charts refer specifically to IATF resolutions that predated IATF 159.  This leads me to believe those charts were compiled to assist in determining a person’s quarantine length – vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

Did DFS issued those “30 countries” charts for a different purpose, and had no idea IATF was going to open the borders the next day!?

All this to support JGF’s conclusion:  “Now much confusion for many”.   :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Anyone from a country without reciprocity (or for that matter those with) can avail the "International Certificate of Vaccination or Phropholaxis".

Way back near the start of the Pandemic I posted that I expected these would be necessary later during the pandemic and I posted a photo of mine (which at the time didn't have Covid vaccinations in it just my other ones) and another poster showed a photo of theirs.  It's not like they're a new thing.

These have been the gold standard for years (decades even) and are readily available and a necessary part of travel to many parts of the world (even pre-Covid).

My GP in Australia offered me this just in case they wouldn't accept the Aussie digital version.  I still have mine from my navy days so had her stamp the COVID vaccines in as well.  

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Because 'I' is for IDIOT ?  :whatever:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Then a day or so later they put out a list of countries that they will accept the vax certificate from (30 only)

I see what you are talking about on the BI Facebook?  This appears to be a mistake by BI?  On page 2 it refers to the old IATF resolution, not the new one.

Digging further, that is a DFA post that BI reposted.  DFA posted it on Jan. 27 around 2:51 pm, same day as the new resolution.  Yes, what a mess!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, KC813 said:

I have still not seen conclusive evidence that the U.S. CDC vaccination card meets the stated IATF requirements because (for most of us in the states) it is not a “national/state digital certificate”.

The US Embassy said the little white CDC card will be accepted in the Philippines. That's good enough for me.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 4

KC813
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I see what you are talking about on the BI Facebook?  This appears to be a mistake by BI?  On page 2 it refers to the old IATF resolution, not the new one.

Digging further, that is a DFA post that BI reposted.  DFA posted it on Jan. 27 around 2:51 pm, same day as the new resolution.  Yes, what a mess!

I see a much earlier time for the initial DFA posting.  Could be Facebook adjusting for different readers’ time zones?

4 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The US Embassy said the little white CDC card will be accepted in the Philippines. That's good enough for me.

I also saw that statement on the USEMB Health Alert.  “The Philippines recognizes the U.S. Centers for Disease Control Vaccination Card as proof of vaccination status.”   

The word “recognizes” is a hyperlink, yet clicking on it does not lead you to anything that supports their statement.  I imagine they are right, but since 10 February is approaching I have asked the post to verify the source.

Despite the confusion, I also expect the U.S. CDC card will eventually be accepted for the new non-isolation entry, but a clear statement from the Philippine government would be a pleasant surprise!

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a minor issue, I had pre-paid my RT-PCR test but it turns out that the local colllection center doesn't do RT-PCR tests on Sundays (even though they are open Sundays) and doing it on Monday (1 day before my flight booking) meant they could not guarantee I'd have the test in time.  So I moved my flight a day later, there was no change fee but that day was $154 more expensive (which is why I had previously chosen the Tuesday, it was cheaper).

It was easy to rebook my hotel in Manila because that was booked through the Qantas web site as well and I could change that date online easily.  That one actually saved me $2.60 haha.

I have not altered my Manila to CDO flight yet because the CDO entry requirement (at this time) seems to require a Foreign tourist to have a pre-booked 5 day hotel reservation.  Understandably I'd rather go to our house!

So I'm leaving that one until after the 10th February, it might be that I fly into Ozamis Airport (and we visit the family there before going back home to CDO) or maybe CDO will change their entry requirments after the 10th February.  The Manila to CDO flight isn't flexible and will incur a change fee (unlike my Qantas flight) so I'll wait to change that until I'm sure what I'm doing (I should have paid for the flexible on this one too but I forgot).

I'm trying to make sure I cross as many T and dot as many I before I leave so as to give myself the smoothest trip possible, I don't want to be one of those that Brett aluded to in an earlier post that turn up and get refused or even just have problems at customs.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

@ GeoffH. I sincerely hope your trip goes smoothly. I can empathize with the stress ….. so many “what if’s” to contemplate you sometimes feel like your head will explode. Take a deep breath and keep a positive frame of mind. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1