Good Motorcycle Insurance?

sinsinbad
Posted
Posted

Plan to move to the PH and retire in a month or so, and I was wondering if there were any motorcycle insurance similar to what we have in the States?

What I mean is more coverage to protect you and the bike since the blame/cause is usually placed on the foreigner.

I have searched online, and the coverage is pretty low and I don't know how reliable/good the company is.

If you know a good company, please let me know.

BTW, I have over 55+years riding and all license requirements.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Insurance here is more of a formality. I've never heard of a claim to be honest, it's just part of registering your motorcycle. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

What the family seem to do in an accident situation with motorbikes is offer a few thousand peso cash for repairs (irrespective of who is actually 'at fault' it seems to be the car driver who ends up paying).  One accident where it was the other way around (a car hit a family member on a motorbike) they were given money.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, sinsinbad said:

BTW, I have over 55+years riding and all license requirements.

Riding here may be quite a bit different than what you are used to.  For example here it is very common for oncoming traffic to take your land because "you are on a motor and only need a little bit of your lane, so I will take the part you don't need".   At least that seems to be their though process. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Riding here may be quite a bit different than what you are used to.  For example here it is very common for oncoming traffic to take your lane because "you are on a motor and only need a little bit of your lane, so I will take the part you don't need".   At least that seems to be their though process. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

"Thought process"? 

More like I'm bigger than you move or die! :2245_safe:

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

offer a few thousand peso cash for repairs

I had a tricycle driver hit me once, when I was going slow on my scooter.  Every Filipino for miles said they saw it and it was the foreigner's fault (that'd be me).  I asked my gf to go find out what it was gonna cost me and she came back and took 500 pesos to give to the trike driver.  He smiled.  He knew he was the one at fault.  I just bit my tongue and smiled back.  That was much cheaper than any alternative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I was on a flight into Cebu in 2019 and was talking to a 70 year old man who was on his first trip to the Philippines. He said he had arranged to rent a "moped" to drive while he was there. He said he had some experience riding when he was younger in rural America. I told him he was in for a shock and to be careful. I wonder if he is still alive today)))

• Haha 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, baronapart said:

I was on a flight into Cebu in 2019 and was talking to a 70 year old man who was on his first trip to the Philippines. He said he had arranged to rent a "moped" to drive while he was there. He said he had some experience riding when he was younger in rural America. I told him he was in for a shock and to be careful. I wonder if he is still alive today)))

Probably changed his mind the second the taxi left the airport and never rented a motorbike. 

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Probably changed his mind the second the taxi left the airport and never rented a motorbike. 

I sure hope so..

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I hope to still be riding motorcycles when I'm 70.

• Like 1