VPN’S

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Downside is I'd need to keep my laptop on.  Not really a great option for me.  

Most people using that type of solution use a dedicated media PC, I've got an old Mac mini here but there are mini PCs also. You just use the TV as the monitor when needed and a bluetooth keyboard.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

For Netflix and Amazon etc, I have the VPN installed on my phone, connect to the country of choice, and stream from my phone to my TV via Chromecast.  Negates the need for a smart TV as well.  We watch local content only via the smart TV functionality.

I was doing that with Amazon Prime (without VPN) but it was a pain as we had to make sure the phone was always fully charged or plugged in.  We only used the phone because the functionality of Amazon Prime was rubbish on the TV.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

a router if it's a Globe or PLDT for example as we don't have access to the password etc.  

Is the default password etc on the back or bottom of the moderm? I have Sky and have access to the modem to do whatever I like which l did like change password.

For PLDT a Google search

https://techpilipinas.com/pldt-admin-default-passwords-usernames/#:~:text=For PLDT Fibr%2C DSL and,dashboard using those aforementioned credentials.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks to everyone for their input, which is what I really appreciate about this forum, that you blokes don’t mind sharing your knowledge and experiences.

cheers

No problem. As always what we dont know we just make up or pretend we know :mocking:

• Haha 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

For me Nord VPN is very good for my home. I have PLDT fiber landline and internet but bought an Asus router to use for VPN. The Asus included VPN did not work as well as I wanted but by using Nord thru the client VPN Asus allows I am able to wirelessly connect all phones and two TVs to any service I would normally get in the USA. Netflix, Amazon Prime even HBO Max. Works well while traveling outside Philippines too.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is the default password etc on the back or bottom of the moderm?

Our PLDT modem was second hand when installed (clearly used and no box), I only asked the company for the password after trying the default password and username that was on the bottom of the modem (which was not current).

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is the default password etc on the back or bottom of the moderm? I have Sky and have access to the modem to do whatever I like which l did like change password.

For PLDT a Google search

https://techpilipinas.com/pldt-admin-default-passwords-usernames/#:~:text=For PLDT Fibr%2C DSL and,dashboard using those aforementioned credentials.

The default password is available online for my modem but it didn't work so I assume the Globe Engineer overwrote it.  Maybe their policy is to have the same password for all modems for convenience sake?  Just guessing.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, BrettGC said:

For Netflix and Amazon etc, I have the VPN installed on my phone, connect to the country of choice, and stream from my phone to my TV via Chromecast

That may well be worth a try !  Good suggestion thanks.

As for the " whack a mole"... have had days of that previously.

The analogy is totally apt.

Even had Nord say " try these  servers they " might work"..They didnt. :)

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2022 at 10:38 PM, Freebie said:

Wish I knew how you did that.... or what Im doing incorrectly. !

To my simple knowledge Freebie, there are 2 key steps.  First, make sure your VPN is on your router.  The VPN gives instructions on this in their web site.  I got the password from a service tech and I gratefully "tipped" him for his excellent service.   If you have trouble with this, try GeoffH's recommendation as this works pretty good too.  Second, if possible, set up your Fire Stick (ROKU or other streaming stick) in the US, UK, Aussie, or your home country, so it doesn't reflect the Philippines as your base location.  If you are already here, try to do the base setup with the VPN on and use the server location you have chosen as your home base.  

Keep in mind, as was also mentioned in Geoff's entries, this is a constant battle/war going on between the streaming companies and the VPN engineers.  It's a pretty wicked fight from what the Express engineer told me.  What works for a while, may suddenly not work.  We had 3 series we watched regularly on Netflix and I found them on HULU TV and it seems HULU is not involved in the war yet?????  Good luck my friend and if I can help, let me know. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Quite a few mention using VPN for Netflix.  Netflix has been available in the Philippines for quite awhile, no VPN required.