RT-PCR

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Philippine BI wants a negative RT-PCR test.  This is becoming a problem.  Loads of places near me offer different PCR tests and similar stuff but nobody mentions "RT"PCR.  Phoning gets a recorded message to book online.  Emails get a standard form letter reply.   Results are supposed to be ready in 48 to 72 hours.  Some expensive tests are ready in 24 hours but they do not specify "RT"PCR

I'd be pulling hair out about now but I haven't enough left.  Anyone go through this yet?  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Also . .

Searching to find if a 7 year old needs a RT-PCR test.  I messaged BI on Facebook but no reply yet.  They are probably swamped.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Whilst the technology is slightly different the tests are pretty much interchangable.. however I can see where (in the Philippines) lacking the RT part might cause an issue... :sad:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Not forgetting that they also have cartridge based RT PCR  and rRT PCR.....nothing like a bit of confusion to mess and stress things up.

Was booking my own RT PCT test yesterday with a company here that is open 7 days a week and there form was vouminous....but the first past stated was I a) highly contagious.. b) mildly contagious  and c ) somewhat contagious....those were my choises. There was no d ) I only want a damn test because some country requires it .

Oh and the form asked me to input dates I was vaccinate.. not once not twice but thrice. Bureacracy overload here as we well know.

Good luck @Geoff  on finding the right test type.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Well we booked our tests.  BI got back to us to say ALL must have a RT-PCR test and we have to accept that includes 7 year old kids.

The company doing the tests does not specifically say it is a RT-PCR test.  They just call it a PCR test but the fine print says: "

We specifically use the PCR-based NAAT – Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, otherwise known as the RT-PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test.

This is the gold standard test required by countries and airlines who require PCR-based COVID-19 testing."

So $500 lighter in the wallet and one more hoop gets jumped through.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Probably a good thing with the money coming out of your ears a lighter wallet will help with the burden of being loaded :mocking: 

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

a lighter wallet will help with the burden of being loaded

It'll keep the wife busy for the next 2 years . . .  going to work to pay the bill we are ringing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 2/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well we booked our tests.  BI got back to us to say ALL must have a RT-PCR test and we have to accept that includes 7 year old kids.

The company doing the tests does not specifically say it is a RT-PCR test.  They just call it a PCR test but the fine print says: "

We specifically use the PCR-based NAAT – Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, otherwise known as the RT-PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test.

This is the gold standard test required by countries and airlines who require PCR-based COVID-19 testing."

And another screw up.  We had to change airlines as Singapore Airlines do not want our business.  That means our RT-PCR test is no longer in the 48 hour window.  But if we reschedule Lyn will have to take a day off work to do it and her boss will have a fit . . (Already taking 30 days off and you want ANOTHER day?)

There is also the problem of possibly not getting the result back before the flight leaves.  So I wonder if people have problems getting on the plane with a test taken but no results back yet?  I expect the results will be in before the plane lands and if now we sit in Manila and wait for the email  :whistling:

This has got to be the most fecked up trip I have taken to the Philippines but the boss (wife) says its gotta be done.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

In Australia you can take the test a few hours before the flight at the airport and get the results within an hour or two, I'd check that out, I think Brett did it when he traveled over and had no problems and we'll be doing it that way. I think waiting for an email isn't a wise move. :cheersty:

• Like 2