Permanent Resident travel before ACR card received

DaveB
Posted
Posted

So...thought I'd bounce some questions out to the fonts of all knowledge to supplement the misery of wandering around the BI website and Facebook pages.

First...the good news: today I finally got my resident visa conversion from 13A probational to the conversion per marraige - i.e., the permanent resident visa.

BUT...as usual, I'm waiting for my converted ACR card.  My probationary one I originally got took seven months to receive.  In conjunction with converting to my permanent visa, I have to get a new permanent ACR card - and am about 4 months into the wait for that to show up.

So...here's my problem.  For various personal reasons, I would like to visit relatives in the US during April.  I'd be in the US for about 3 weeks.  I understand I'm supposed to get an ECC before I exit the Philippines, though I've heard in this forum various opinions on how best to do that.  I know I can get one in the local immigration office, but also heard I can just get one at the airport the day of departure.  Would love to hear any feedback from recent fellow travelers regarding that topic as it looks these days.

Now...the real puzzeler for me.  Per a June 2021 posting in the BI Facebook site, there is a discussion that those who have paid for an ACR card, and are waiting for it, can still travel and re-enter the Philippines and "need only present receipts of the ACR I-Card waiver application fee and reentry permit (RP) or special return certificate (SRC)". That posting goes on to say that the "payment of the ACR I-Card waiver application  fees and corresponding ECC Of RE/SRC fees are only allowed at the BI main office and authorized sub-port offices".  Having shown that info to the Angeles City BI office, they said it can only be paid at the Manila central BI office.

At this point: questions to anyone who might be a lot smarter than I (likely a large population).  If the above is true, it certainly gives me the impression that I'm supposed to re-enter the Philippines by showing both my permanent visa and an ACR card.  And lacking the final ACR card, I need to show "waiver application fees" were paid.  If that is true, I need to go to Manila to get this done.  Never been there.  Would anyone have info as to whether this is the kind of thing that requires an appointment before going to the Manila BI...or can I just walk in?

Lastly...having traveled the permanent visa trail of tears since August of 2019 (when I first embaked to try and set it up while in the States), this whole topic never reared its ugly head.  Leaves me wondering if I just wasn't paying attention or if I'm looking at something old or I'm making a mountain out of molehill.  Open to hearing any feedback regardless of the nature of my personal lack of insight.

Meanwhile...I'll keep plowing the world of BI website and Facebook.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Alot of changes since June 2021. I would check with the BI for the most up to date information. I've had good luck with PM on their FB page. So good luck hope you get the correct answer soon.

• Like 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

I can help with this a bit.

If you need to go to Intramuros (Main Office) you would only need an appointment if you are not fully vaccinated or are doing an Annual report, but as with Ram mentioned keep checking the BI website and facebook or even calling in to be sure so you don't end up wasting time and money.  (Like check all of them and hope that you end up with "similar" information lol.)

As for the ACR Card, I assume it is taking longer since you are not in Manila?  My ACR card was given to me on the day I I was given my stamped passport.   7 months seems quite long to wait considering how these things shouldn't take that long especially since you are doing a conversion to permanent. (Less things to worry about.)

Now I understand that while some of the provincial locations there would have some correspondence involved, it might be worth your time to talk to someone so that when / if you went there to Manila you could just "pick up" your actual ACR card.    

I suppose this would require some "luck" and speaking with the right person which might not be the easiest thing to do but I thought I would throw it out there and go nuts trying to speak to someone who can help. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Shol said:

As for the ACR Card, I assume it is taking longer since you are not in Manila? 

I read and not sure if here or somewhere that they no longer print cards and receipt is all you need. Maybe that was just for tourist though?

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

My last ACR-1 card (has to be changed to reflect one's changed immigration status) was received by the local BI office 3-4 weeks after they'd stamped my passport with the 13A (Probationary).  They phoned me as soon as they recieved it.

I anticipate the same time-lag... around a month, before receiving my again updated ACR-1 card... this time  with 'Permanent Resident' printed on it.  :smile:

• Thanks 1

Shol
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I read and not sure if here or somewhere that they no longer print cards and receipt is all you need. Maybe that was just for tourist though?

Not entirely sure for tourist, but we definitely got a nice yellow variation of the "probationary resident" now "permanent resident" and mine was ready upon passport release.  (They even ask you when you hand in your passport to check to see if it will be ready when you come back in 2 days at Intramuros.)

Most likely due to doing everything right at the main office.

@graham59It will also be yellow instead of that bluish color.  I am not sure yet if I feel more VIP since I never carry the thing since it's insanity if you ever end up losing it :)

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Despite what I was told on my initial visit to BI in January, when I went to extend my 9a in February, I was informed I had to wait a month before "applying" for my card.  This was after being told in January that tourists no longer receive an ACR card.  No explanation given for the delay.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Despite what I was told on my initial visit to BI in January, when I went to extend my 9a in February, I was informed I had to wait a month before "applying" for my card.  This was after being told in January that tourists no longer receive an ACR card.  No explanation given for the delay.  

I paid for mine a few months or more ago. Will have to look into. Did not get one from the year before either but I guess as long as i've got the receipt it should not matter.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess as long as i've got the receipt it should not matter.

Yes, I believe that does cover you. There is a reference number on the receipt, which is the important 'magic' number for Immigration records, concerning your status.  :smile:

• Like 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Appreciate all the feedback from my fellow ex-pats.

To comment on some of the above info:

- That receipt you get when you submit for your visas and ACR card is a magic ticket.  All responses and actions lead back to the magic numbers on it.  If I have to get the temporary letter acknowledging I have applied for my ACR card, that receipt is the proof I did so.  When I go to the BI office and ask status on visa and ACR and whatever, that receipt is what the agent uses to look things up.  So keep it safe.  

- Some interesting info in the replies about the duration to get an ACR card, some even saying it took days.  I was surprised to hear it.  Here's my "best guess" as to what's going on.  I THINK when you go to the central Manila BI office, you find yourself in the midst of the central decision making center.  But when you apply from a remote office, such as the one in Angeles City, you end up waiting for a notoriously ponderous Philippine communicaiton channel to work things back and forth with the main offices in Manila.  For example, my visa was on the approved "agenda" on Dec 17.  That means it was approved, and for Immigration purposes, I am legally considered to now have a visa, even if it hasn't been finally stamped in my passport.  Then some time passes, and eventually the field office gets what they call a "Letter of Implementaiton" - presumably from the Manila office.  For my example: my probationary 13A was on the approved agenda of December 2020, but I actually got the "implementation" and stamp in my passport in May of 2021.  My conversion to permanent resident was on the agenda of Dec 17 2022, but the "implementation" occurred on March 1.  That kind of thing seems to apply to ACR cards, too.  My probationary ACR landed in July of 2021 - seven months after submission.  And I've heard from others around the Angeles field office of it taking around 6 months - 4 months if you're lucky.  One of my personal conclusions in watching the Philippine government "go", is they keep a lot of the official processing and formal approval actions centralized in Manila where it is very bottle necked, instead of pushing it out to the field offices.  Imagine sitting in Manila and working through an entire nation's worth of ACR approvals from all the remote field offices.  So...that's all one man's guess, but it "feels like" a logical explanation as to why it takes so blasted long for some of these things.  You'd think, after decades of working ACR cards for hundreds of thousands of people over the years, they'd have sorted out better processes and started to get good at it, but I'm not seeing much improvement as I look through my little knothole.

- Other impacts, as has been discussed in other postings on the forum: not all local field offices are created equal.  There's a chance my visa was there a bit earlier, but they just didn't notify me.  I got both versions - probationary and permanent - because I made a point of going to the field office periodically and asking if it was in.  And one day it was.  Don't know if it had been there a while before I went and asked (and showed the magic receipt).  Other offices might actually call and act quickly.  You gotta kindo of feel out how your particular office operates.  I happen to like the Angeles City office bedause they are rarely crowded, quick in and out, and the agents are helpful - IF you know the right question to ask.  The idea of going to the central Manila office gives me the willies - but I might have to eat it if I end up needing that letter of waiver for my ACR card.  Can't get it at the Angeles City field office.

• Like 2