PI - Things I've Noticed This Time Around

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

New car dealers here are generally good people.  We’ve been to just about every dealership in town in the last month and haven’t felt that “car dealer” feeling yet, and we haven’t been upsold once our budget is revealed. 

How is the market for new & used cars? Is there a limited supply of new cars? Are used car prices up? Here in the US car dealership lots have less than half the cars for sale than they used to have. Low inventory and high prices.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The “chrome” on plumbing fixtures is wafer thin,

Yep i found that out using every day type bathroom cleaners.

6 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I would give my left aggot for a cheese and vegemite toasted sandwich,

You can get that black stuff here but not for me.

7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I miss baking in a properly thermostated oven,

My ovens are thermostat controlled so might just be what is in your rental? 

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The amount of unsubstantiated and blatantly false claims in food, medical and beauty advertising is astounding.  What’s even more astounding is “they” believe it. 

The Philippines is a telemarketer huckster's dream. If they had any money to spend) On a side note my wife believes if she lifts her shirt up and expose her midriff to the air it will make her stomach sick. She is a university graduate. Once they are told something by their lola no Kano is going to convince them otherwise. No matter how gwapo he may be))

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The “chrome” on plumbing fixtures is wafer thin

And it does not take long at all before the fixture is broke, leaking, seized up, or just wiggling around like it needs tightening.  Plumbing here is atrocious. Then there is the hot water that isn't, the toilet seats that are loose, broken or completely off, the smelly drain water that never seems to have a gooseneck under the sink to stop that smell.  Did I miss anything?

AM refuses to buy a washing machine but whinges about doing the laundry,

There ya go.  Step one in convincing you that you need a maid.

I've been back for a few days now and it seems like the trip from hell.  I'll write more on that once I get decent Internet.  For now I can say it is very obvious that a major typhoon came through Cebu just 4 months ago.  Its a good thing they opened for tourism as money is badly needed.  So many places closed down or in disrepair since the storm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

And when the plumber doing the installation wants to lay the pipe work in the slab, get another plumber.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There ya go.  Step one in convincing you that you need a maid.

LOL, my first thought as well Dave. :smile:

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

On the subject of doors, when we were doing the build we paid extra for good quality doors, the painter then spent days applying varnish, sanding in between coats, all his work was in vain, the doors were hung, no problems me thought.

3 months later they all shrunk, we now have a natural source of daylight coming through the panels.

• Sad 1