So what would be easier? Marriage question

Gustav
Posted
Posted

So my wife and I have been married in the US for 4 years but it is still not registered in the Philippines. We were debating what would be the easier route - file the paperwork with the consulate or when we go back to Philippines, just get married then.

Any thoughts on what would be easier? Would it be legal for us to get married in the Philippines?

And yes, I'm aware about the current laws in the Philippines about divorce. :)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm confused, you are married now why would you need to get married in the Philippines a second time?

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I'm confused, you are married now why would you need to get married in the Philippines a second time?

Same question here.  The Philippines recognises overseas marriages.  You just have to show your certificate at the times it's requested.

• Like 1

Gustav
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Old55 said:

My understanding was that I had to file paperwork (which requires a bunch of information) to get the marriage license recognized in the Philippines.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Much easier just to file a copy of your US marriage certificate.  Agree with posters above, no reason to redo the marriage in the Philippines.   Prior to the move here you should encourage your wife to get US citizenship and then reacquire her Philippine citizenship if she has not done so already.  My opinion of course.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Gustav said:

but it is still not registered in the Philippines.

When we moved here 10 years ago, my wife had our marriage registered. It was so easy I did not even know she did it. (probably had a friend or family member take the documents to city hall or where ever and had them do it)

As for getting married here, I am assuming you mean a church wedding for the family to enjoy...... I dont see why not but I live near our local cathedral and I can ask for the requirements for you next time I walk by. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gustav said:

My understanding was that I had to file paperwork (which requires a bunch of information) to get the marriage license recognized in the Philippines.

Even if there were a bit of paperwork, it could not possible be as involved as getting married here in the PH.  Dealing with the government agencies here can be difficult and time consuming.

Step 1: Get Your PSA Birth Certificates. ...
Step 2: Request a CENOMAR. ...
Step 3: Get a Cedula. ...
Step 4: Apply for a Marriage License. ...
Step 5: Book an Officiant. ...
Step 6: Invite Your Witnesses. ...
Step 7: Get Married. ...
Step 8: Get Your Marriage Certificate.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Even if there were a bit of paperwork, it could not possible be as involved as getting married here in the PH.  Dealing with the government agencies here can be difficult and time consuming.

Step 1: Get Your PSA Birth Certificates. ...
Step 2: Request a CENOMAR. ...
Step 3: Get a Cedula. ...
Step 4: Apply for a Marriage License. ...
Step 5: Book an Officiant. ...
Step 6: Invite Your Witnesses. ...
Step 7: Get Married. ...
Step 8: Get Your Marriage Certificate.

Add to that a certificate of no impediment obtained (basically stating you're not married to anyone else in your country of origin) from your embassy in PI once you're in the country and not before, proving residence in the city you wish to get married in, doing the one day course on how to be a married couple at your local town hall.  Yes, I understand you're already married, but if you wish to get married in PI it's quite the process - I went through it just over 2 years ago - and I'm not sure they wouldn't make you jump through all the hoops I had to, even though you already have a recognised marriage.  

I just found this on the DFA site:

Present original documents and submit five (5) photocopies of each
(kindly collate and arrange into sets of 5 according to the order of documents below):

1. Report of Marriage Form (Form Rev. 01 24 April 2018)
    • Five (5) forms should be printed in A4 paper, originally filled out and item 20 should be notarized by the notary public.
    • Entries must be TYPEWRITTEN OR PRINTED LEGIBLY
    • Entries must be at the time of marriage of the spouses/subject
  2. Marriage Contract / Certificate (original copy should be submitted to the DFA)
    • For marriage certificates not in English language, kindly submit an official English translation
    • For marriages solemnized in SHANGHAI, FRANCE, AUSTRIA, NORWAY, DENMARK, FINLAND, SWEDEN, ICELAND, NETHERLANDS and in the MIDDLE EASTERN countries (i.e. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, et.al.), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of marriage must authenticate the marriage certificate
    • For marriages solemnized in NEPAL and INDIA, marriage certificate must be attested by the Notary Public in India, and attested by the Ministry of External Affairs of the Nepal / India and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of India in the Philippines.
    • For applicants married under the consular jurisdiction of the Philippine Consulate General in Toronto, kindly submit the original certified true copy of marriage license (long form).
    • For applicants married under the consular jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy in Mexico, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of marriage must authenticate the marriage certificate
    • For applicants who got married in Indonesia, the Ministry of Human Rights and Justice must also authenticate the marriage certificate
  3. Birth Certificate of both parties
    • For Filipino Nationals - Authenticated Birth Certificate from the PSA
    • For Foreign Nationals - Birth Certificate issued by the country of birth with official English translation
  1. Passports of both parties valid at the time of marriage and current/valid passport of both parties
    1. Photocopies of data pages
    2. In case of unavailability, execute an Affidavit of Non-submission of Document and attach a copy valid/recent passport or any valid ID.

For applicants in the USA and Canada - kindly submit documents specified in a & b together with any of the following:

• green card and / or permanent resident card
  • copy of visa (if tourist, leisure or business purpose)
  • job contract or working permit (if working abroad at the time of marriage)
  1. If parties were Filipino citizens and had acquired foreign citizenship (i.e. American, Australian, British or Canadian) after the marriage, submit certificate of naturalization
  1. Five (5) recent passport size photos of both parties
  2. Notarized Affidavit of Delayed Registration [required only for applicants who are married for more than one (1) year]
  3. Notarized Affidavit of Two (2) Disinterested Persons [required only for applicants who are married for more than one (1) year]
  4. Negative Certification of Marriage Record from the PSA (CRS Form No. 3)

Reminders:

For Annulled or Legally Separated Filipino Spouse - submit copy of DFA Authenticated Marriage Contract issued by the PSA with proper annotation;

For Divorced Filipino Spouse who has no marriage in PSA - submit copy of Divorced Decree / Certificate validated by the Regional Trial Court nearest the spouse’s place of residence in the Philippines;

For Widowed Filipino Spouse - submit Death Certificate issued by PSA or foreign death certificate of previous spouse;

For Divorced, Annulled or Legally Separated Foreign Spouse - submit copy of foreign decree / decision;

For Widowed Foreign Spouse - submit Death Certificate of previous spouse.

*Note: Additional documents may be required by the action officer from the applicant upon evaluation of the requirements to determine the citizenship, identity or eligibility of the child for registration of marriage under the Philippine law.

• Consular Fee: USD 25.00 to be paid in Philippine peso at the Cashier located at the 2nd floor of the DFA Office of Consular Affairs, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Avenue, ASEANA Business Park, Parañaque City.
      • Forms are downloadable online (www.dfa.gov.ph/download) or at Consular Records Window.
      • Requirements are to be submitted at the Ground floor (Door 1, Window 1) of DFA Office of Consular Affairs, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Avenue, ASEANA Business Park, Parañaque City
      • Processing period: Approximately 2 to 4 months

So it appears it's not as simple as we first thought. 

Edited by BrettGC
Updated information on the process
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gustav said:

So my wife and I have been married in the US for 4 years but it is still not registered in the Philippines. We were debating what would be the easier route - file the paperwork with the consulate or when we go back to Philippines, just get married then.

Any thoughts on what would be easier? Would it be legal for us to get married in the Philippines?

And yes, I'm aware about the current laws in the Philippines about divorce. :)

My first thought is:  why bother?  Are you looking to retire on a married visa?  You can enter on BB stamp for a year without bothering.  My second thought is:  even if you could get re-married in the Philippines, do you think it would be any less paperwork?  I never bothered with the legal marriage in Philippines as my country recognizes common-law marriage and I found the bureaucratic requirements too ridiculous.  I get grumpy with stuff like that and grumpy is not where I wanted to be if getting married.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We married in Hong Kong and simply went to the consular office there and registered the marriage - then received the registration certificate of overseas marriage - this counts as the marriage certificate here. It works because we've been to local NSO/PSA here to get a copy for various purposes and everything was in order.

Same applies to birth cert for our son born in Hong Kong.

As I understand it, the marriage certificate/birth certificate is only issued in the country of marriage - marriage registration is for admin. purposes in home country.

I'm not sure if it's possible now to register the marriage as there are time limits for doing so but anything is possible here even if it costs.

• Like 1