British Gangster Arrested in Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This is a quote from the BI website.  This fellow was probably up to no good but the article is "interesting".

08 April 2022
PRESS RELEASE

BI takes custody of alleged British gangster

MANILA, Philippines—The Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that it has taken into custody yesterday a British man, who earlier made headlines after being arrested by local authorities for gun violence in Manila.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente identified the man as Darren Mark Wall, 44, an ex-boxer who used the alias ‘Jack’, coming from the words Union Jack tattooed on his neck.

Morente bared that Wall was turned over by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) after he was arrested last March for reportedly punching a man and pointing a gun in a nightclub in Poblacion.

Wall was said to have violated the gun ban, disobeyed persons of authority, possessed dangerous drugs, and threatened several individuals. News reports cite that Wall had an earlier criminal career in the United Kingdom, after he and two other cohorts was said to have robbed an ATM.

BI records show that Wall is holding a permanent resident visa, based on his marriage to a Filipina.

According to BI Intelligence Division Chief Fortunato Manahan, Jr., Wall may still be deported despite his permanent residency in the country. Manahan said that his office has already recommended that Wall be charged as an undesirable alien.

Wall was said to have led a gang, employing several henchmen in extortion activities and drug-related crimes.

Morente, meanwhile, reminded foreign nationals to obey the law during their stay in the country. “A permanent residence visa is not a free pass for foreign nationals to disregard our laws,” said Morente. “They are still expected to be in their best behavior, and to comply with the laws of the land. Otherwise, they may be arrested, deported, and banned from returning to the Philippines,” he warned.

Wall will remain in the BI’s holding facility in Taguig, pending deportation proceedings.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is a quote from the BI website.  This fellow was probably up to no good but the article is "interesting".

I seen videos of him the other day in news, fighting people in the street outside a nightclub, attacking someone inside one which I think is the story above. From what I see and have read he is a badass thug, good riddance. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

good riddance

I won't argue with you there.  I found it interesting that:

On 4/8/2022 at 7:33 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wall is holding a permanent resident visa, based on his marriage to a Filipina.

According to BI Intelligence Division Chief Fortunato Manahan, Jr., Wall may still be deported despite his permanent residency in the country.

I was under the mistaken impression that permanent residency meant they would not deport you.  But he is likely better off deported than stuck in a Philippine jail.

I also found it interesting that:

Wall had an earlier criminal career in the United Kingdom

Because I thought everyone had to have a criminal record check before getting married here.  Turns out that's a waste of time eh?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I won't argue with you there.  I found it interesting that:

I was under the mistaken impression that permanent residency meant they would not deport you.  But he is likely better off deported than stuck in a Philippine jail.

I also found it interesting that:

Because I thought everyone had to have a criminal record check before getting married here.  Turns out that's a waste of time eh?

Maybe his criminal record was counted as spent i.e. it was sufficiently long enough ago to not be held against him now. :89:

• I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes mistaken. Look at the guy who has a restaurant in Lupux2. Got deported even though he was here for years and running a business and helping locals.

On 4/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I dont recall that being a requirement. If you apply for a 13a and have been here less than 6 months then you need a criminal background check. 

Freebie
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes mistaken. Look at the guy who has a restaurant in Lupux2. Got deported even though he was here for years and running a business and helping locals.

I dont recall that being a requirement. If you apply for a 13a and have been here less than 6 months then you need a criminal background check. 

Not entirely but partially related I recently inquired as to the rules for obtaining a South African retirement visa ( possible Plan C, I already have Plan B ).

Financially no problem but they require police? No criminal  records from all  all the places one had lived in since 21.... in my case that would mean US, Tortola BVI, UK, Saudi, Arabia, South Africa, Jordan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, Beijing, Shanghai, Manila. Mission Impossible I think. 

A lawyer later informed me this could be reduced to the last 10 years only but still...oh well, nice try.

Doglover
Posted
Posted
On 4/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

There are so many criminal expats. About time some are arrested.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2022 at 12:23 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I had to have a criminal check and a medical check before i married my wife here.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2022 at 12:23 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I did my 13a in Hong Kong and I needed a 'Police Record report' from there  - I had lived there for 10 years so didn't need anything from the UK authorities.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I did my 13a in Hong Kong and I needed a 'Police Record report' from there  - I had lived there for 10 years so didn't need anything from the UK authorities.

Exactly but if you stayed here for 6 months or more you do not need a police check from home.

Number #7 Valid Police Clearance from country of origin or residence, if the applicant has stayed in the Philippines for less than six
(6) months; 

https://immigration.gov.ph/images/ImmigrantVisasForms/ImmigrantVisaByMarriage/2014-12-001 Rev 0 Conversion to Non-Quota Immigrant by Marriage Probationary.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1