Things just keep getting worse and worse

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Two years of covid was rough, then a super typhoon was really bad, and now McDonalds has stopped selling large fries.  :hystery:

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/mcdonald-philipines-halts-sales-large-042940177.html

Coconuts Manila
Fri, April 22, 2022, 12:29 PM

If you’ve recently left a McDonald’s counter frustrated and clueless as to why they’re out of larger french fry sizes, then the fast food chain has some answers: McDonald’s Philippines has announced that the global shipping crisis has caused a shortage of their beloved french fries.

“Our regular fries are extra special these days,” the brand wrote on social media. “The supply of our World Famous Fries is limited because of the global freight crisis. That’s why you haven’t been seeing our fries in big red fry boxes (medium, large, and BFF) in the stores.”

At the moment, McDo customers can only order regular-sized french fries.

The Philippines isn’t the only country suffering from a french fry shortage, though. In January, the Washington Post wrote that COVID-19 and other factors such as bad weather and labor disputes were causing issues with the potato supply chain. Following that, countries such as Singapore and Indonesia have suffered from significant spud shortfalls leading to limits on french fry orders. In South Korea, the problem is so bad that McDonald’s there has recently resorted to replacing french fry side orders with chicken nuggets or cheese sticks instead.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

say-it-aint-so.webp

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So it doesn't have anything to do with them making more money selling you 2 regular fries rather than 1 large?  Hmmm.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

So it doesn't have anything to do with them making more money selling you 2 regular fries rather than 1 large?  Hmmm.

I think there really is a shortage of fries.  Multiple Facebook posts on a Moalboal based page where people are asking where they can buy frozen french fries to cook at home.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

FE6983E6-165F-4BEE-9274-F0F49796BA6D.jpeg

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Could be, but I doubt it. For sure 2xsmall is more expensive than 1xlarge but, to be fair, it has more fries - I just checked to confirm. And, I'd imagine most of the sales of large fries are through upsizing and most simply won't bother and stick with the regular so Mcd's will actually lose money. 

For me, Chowking are the worst for this with their drinks. Frequently only have pineapple juice which only comes in large size so they automatically upsize and charge without asking. It's nonsense as they have small glasses and can therefore substitute at no extra cost if they wanted to. It's a scam and actually increases the price of a set meal by 25-30% or more. Being Scottish, I insist they either provide the advertised meal or substitute at no extra cost.

It's a petty thing, but all of the fast food places here are so guilty of not having menu items, messing up orders as well as taking much longer than they should.  And folk here simply accept and therefore nothing changes, as with much here. We went to McDs for breakfast on Mon - no breakfast burns or sausage items. Same one a couple of months back had no burgers of any description! 

Sorry to grumble, it's SM supermarket day!

• Haha 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Being Scottish, I insist they either provide the advertised meal or substitute at no extra cost.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Sorry to grumble, it's SM supermarket day!

Surely just a normal day from somebody north of the border, HK.

:mocking:       

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think there really is a shortage of fries.  Multiple Facebook posts on a Moalboal based page where people are asking where they can buy frozen french fries to cook at home.  

Mc Doos is doing the same in other countries. Supermarket over the road has no fries for a month. As to where to buy, FB groups that are food related. 

Or Market place, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/cebucity/search?query=fries

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Mc Doos is doing the same in other countries. Supermarket over the road has no fries for a month. As to where to buy, FB groups that are food related. 

Or Market place, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/cebucity/search?query=fries

Yep...we haven't been able to buy French fries for weeks and yesterday was the 1st time in a month or so that hash browns were available.