Beer Truck Crash. 1 killed, 1 injured

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Wonder how many commercial vehicles go under a safety inspection on a regular basis in the Philippines?  Last time there we took a bus/van from Tacloban to Guiuan... the sound of the "brakes" was like holding screwdriver on a grinder wheel.  I still don't know why I just didn't get off :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I am continually amazed at the lack of maintenance I see on big rigs here, especially tires where it is not uncommon to see the cord showing.  I think safety inspections here only occur AFTER an accident.  Also I do not think companies that employ drivers here do random drug testing on drivers.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have no doubt that safety inspections are done often. 

8E94C221-1855-4FED-9EEA-7821309CC779.jpeg

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I am continually amazed at the lack of maintenance I see on big rigs here, especially tires where it is not uncommon to see the cord showing.  I think safety inspections here only occur AFTER an accident.  Also I do not think companies that employ drivers here do random drug testing on drivers.  

wow the loss of beer its heart breaking. we need to take care of our life giving water with hops

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That surprises me, as the most frustrating driver fatality that sticks in my mind during a similar number of years as a Greyhound bus driver was caused by the driver wearing a seatbelt.  He was hit broadside, totally unexpectedly, which forced half his body out the side window.  If not for the seatbelt he would have been thrown clear, however the seatbelt held him in place long enough for the bus to topple sideways (like this truck in the pic) and crush his body.  BUT none of the safety guys saw it that way.  Funny that.  There IS an agenda.

But how many lives have been saved due to wearing a seat belt?  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

But how many lives have been saved due to wearing a seat belt?  

Its an ongoing debate.  How many lives would be saved by outlawing guns?  Or by outlawing abortions?  Or by forcing covid vaccines on people?  Better to just drink the beer from the crashed truck and stay away from such topics, IMHO.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That surprises me, as the most frustrating driver fatality that sticks in my mind during a similar number of years as a Greyhound bus driver was caused by the driver wearing a seatbelt.  He was hit broadside, totally unexpectedly, which forced half his body out the side window.  If not for the seatbelt he would have been thrown clear, however the seatbelt held him in place long enough for the bus to topple sideways (like this truck in the pic) and crush his body.  BUT none of the safety guys saw it that way.  Funny that.  There IS an agenda.

C'mon man!  Sure, there are exceptional circumstances, but the last thing you want in an accident is to be "thrown".  Thrown people get hurt badly.  In the case you cite, if the guys was not killed going through the window, he would have had to have been thrown 15-20 feet away from the toppling bus, survived the fall and avoided the other vehicle(s) involved.

In the case, of the local truck here, the driver's side is on the top.  If he was belted, he might have dangled.  If unbelted, he would be thrown all over.  In a severe accident, you can be killed either way.  From the look of the cab, he may have been belted and still not survived.

I'm not a big proponent of the gov telling me what to do, but I do belt up because I know it increases my odds.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

As long as I am ranting on the seatbelts, I will relate a story.

I think it was in the 80s, I got a speeding ticket in California.  I had the option to go to Traffic School so it would not go on my driving record.  We had a really good instructor who was an older police officer.  During the seatbelt discussion, he said a lot of people think they can braced themselves when they see impact coming.  That might have included young and dumb me!

So he said something like:  "Imagine a 20 mph crash.  Fairly slow, right?  How fast can you run?  10 mph? 15 mph?  Try this.  Run as fast as you can into a brick wall and try to stop yourself with you arms.  Good luck!  Your arms basically become wet noodles!  There is no way you can brace yourself with your wet noodles during a crash!"

The wet noodles stuck with me til this day!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its an ongoing debate.  How many lives would be saved by outlawing guns?  Or by outlawing abortions?  Or by forcing covid vaccines on people?  Better to just drink the beer from the crashed truck and stay away from such topics, IMHO.

The examples you cite are controversial and thus worthy of debate to some - I don't think the safety of seatbelts is all that debatable to most.  

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife showed me a story this morning from Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte about a truck whose brakes failed and crashed head on into an ambulance carrying a pregnant woman and a midwife. All people in both vehicles were killed. 

Edited by baronapart
  • Sad 3