LTO needs 6.8 billion peso to eliminate backlog

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Only in Da Philippines.  The Philippine population is about 110 million and there is a "backlog" of 10 million plates just for motorcycles.   The article goes on to say that 1.2 to 1.3 motorcycles are sold each year.  That means there is a freaking TEN YEAR BACKLOG.  I do not believe for a single minute that throwing a few billion pesos to the LTO is going to fix this problem.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/lto-p-68-billion-needed-to-address-plate-backlog-065518595.html#:~:text=8 billion needed to address plate backlog,-Marvin Joseph Ang&text=The Land Transportation Office (LTO) on Wednesday's (July 13,backlog of unprinted license plates.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) on Wednesday’s (July 13) Laging Handa Briefing said that their agency needed P6.8 billion pesos in funding to catch up to its backlog of unprinted license plates.

“Malaki po ang backlog natin sa plaka po. I think we need about P6.8 billion to address all of these backlogs – iyong 4-wheel at saka iyong motorcycle, lalo na ang motorcycle malaki talaga,” LTO’s officer-in-charge, Romeo Vera Cruz, said.

(We have a huge backlog in license plates. I think we need about P6.8 billion to address all of these backlogs – including plates for four-wheeled vehicles and motorcycles.)

Although Vera Cruz said that there were no problems in the production “because we have modern plate-making plants,” two robots and 10 manual embossing machines, he said that the additional funding would be able to resolve the huge backlogs.

“We have no problem producing the plates. We have robots, in addition to the manual embossing machines. We can address the backlog if we have the funds,” Vera Cruz said. “So we need funding and only Congress can provide us with funding.”

In 2018, a plate-making facility was built in order to make the production of the license plates faster, which in the past are only being outsourced.

Just last month, LTO urged the Marcos administration to pour in funds for license plate printing, as the backlog in motorcycle plates alone had reached 10 million as of last month. On June 3, the agency said that seven million out of the 18 to 19 million plates have yet to be printed.

Then LTO chief Assistant Secretary, Edgar Galvante, said that it needed about P2.6 billion to produce about 11 million motorcycle plates to catch up, as the average of motorcycles being sold every year is increasing at around 1.2 million to 1.3 million.

“Hopefully in the coming administration, the LTO would be given more funds,” he said in a press conference.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

More corruption on the horizon. It will never change, until someone is held responsible for the billions that have already been spent or whatever they did with the funds.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Interesting article Mike, thanks!  I agree with you Ram completely.  They were allocated the money for the plate once when the bike was sold.  Now the want it again.  What happened to the initial money for the plates?  It only cost so much to make a plate, especially if the process is automated.  The problems here always start with bad/incompetent management.  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

hen LTO chief Assistant Secretary, Edgar Galvante, said that it needed about P2.6 billion to produce about 11 million motorcycle plates to catch up, as the average of motorcycles being sold every year is increasing at around 1.2 million to 1.3 million.

Something doesn't make sense. That's 236php per plate they need. The plate fee paid by the owner is 450php. So the cost is well covered by the MC owners. How can they be out of money?

Maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

My wife often tells me that in a country rife with corruption, the LTO is the worst.  

• Like 2

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

My wife often tells me that in a country rife with corruption, the LTO is the worst.  

My brother-in-law who is color-blind was able to get a commercial/professional DL by paying an extra amount, under the table (so to speak) to the LTO.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's known as double dip creative accounting.  The public is charged a fee and the agency gets more money from the government annual budget.  About 50% is consumed by inefficiency.  Everybody happy. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

My brother-in-law who is color-blind was able to get a commercial/professional DL by paying an extra amount, under the table (so to speak) to the LTO.

My medical was someone not medially qualified just clicking through a questionnaire without asking me any questions.  In Australia I have to wear glasses to drive, here I don't.  500php for the process.  They were doing "medicals" every 5 mins.   

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

My medical was someone not medially qualified just clicking through a questionnaire without asking me any questions.  In Australia I have to wear glasses to drive, here I don't.  500php for the process.  They were doing "medicals" every 5 mins.   

I got my 10 year driving licence the other month, had my so called medical just paid 500 pesos to the nice lady and she printed out my pass. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I got my 10 year driving licence the other month, had my so called medical just paid 500 pesos to the nice lady and she printed out my pass. 

Were you able to get an actual licence or just the receipt?  The card printer has been broken since January.