Cholesterol

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 8/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, OnMyWay said:

No breakfast, so he basically does intermittent fasting.

The problem with IF is getting adequate protein to maintain muscle mass, 1g per lb daily, especially if physically active.

7 hours ago, jimeve said:

It's called a keto diet, not for the week willed. Before I took on this diet I was over 100 kg this morning my weight.... 78.7 kgs.

I nerver get hungry but has it's side effects, like I somtimes get angry, Drinking alcohol get drunk sooner than I wish to and constipation but I can take flax seeds and coconut oil. This is not for everyone.

Very good temporary diet to lose weight, but don't forget to take your supplements, vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc

Adverse Effects of the Ketogenic Diet

A major problem in long-term use of the KD is the adherence of patients to dietary recommendations. High volumes of fat-rich components in the diet (cheeses, eggs, butter, oils, meat, etc.) may lead to poor tolerance. Side effects may thus include nausea, vomiting, constipation, and lower appetite. In addition, dehydration, hepatitis, pancreatitis, hypoglycemia, hypertriglyceridemia, hyperuricemia, hypertransaminemia, hypercholestorolemia, hypomagnesemia, and hyponatremia are among the adverse effects of the KD. Late effects may include reduced mineral bone density, nephrolithiasis, cardiomyopathy, deficits of vitamins and mineral components, impaired hepatic functions, neuropathy of the optic nerve, anemia, and constipation or enhanced atherosclerosis

KD, especially when the diet energy value is decreasing, may lead to a general supply of protein that is too low, although its contribution to the diet energy value may be normal or even higher than recommended. Such a situation may lead to catabolism of structural proteins (especially in muscles). Long-term use of KD may also bring about catabolism and reduced synthesis of functional proteins (e.g., enzymes, membrane proteins) []. Unfortunately, it may be rather difficult to achieve an appropriate supply of energy and protein in the diet of persons on the KD, taking into account its appetite-reducing effects and lower organoleptic attractiveness. Energetic deficits and insufficient protein volumes in a diet may have serious consequences for health if dietary restrictions, resulting from KD rules, are applied for a longer period of time. - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6356942/

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

@kingpin

Yes, side effects are common but for most people they are short term.  Certain people have medical or physical conditions that do not tolerate it well.

The diet of so many people has a high % of processed foods, bad carbohydrates and sugars, which results in insulin resistance.  Even if they do not do low carb, they would be much healthier if they got rid of the bad carbs and sugars.  Easier said than done!  One reason people succeed when they drop bad carbs and sugar is that they don't get the cravings.  I am no longer addicted to bad carbs / sugars and no longer crave them.  It was easy for me but some people have a hard time with the carbs.

I thought I was going to die in April 2020. with BP as high as 220/120.  Adding meds (3 daily) fixed it for a while.  Now, I am phasing out the last med.  If all goes well I will no longer take BP meds next month.

After I hit my targets, I will add back some more good carbs.

You only quoted #7, the negatives.  #8, the conclusion was quite positive.

8. Conclusions

The available results of research projects dealing with the use of the KD and ketone bodies in neurodegenerative diseases are fairly promising. At the same time, the majority of these studies were employed in vitro or by using animal models. The number of studies with human participation is rather small, and those that exist feature relatively short therapy duration periods. It is rather difficult to say how significant this therapeutic approach may be in the future, especially because the use of the diet alone is difficult and concerns elderly people with possible concomitant diseases which may impose certain constraints on the possibility of KD application. Further studies are necessary, especially for research of long-term KD effects on the symptoms and course of neurodegenerative diseases, as well as on the general well-being of affected patients.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

82 seems great to me!  I'm 65, and seemed to have shrunk from 6' 2" to 6'1" over the years. 

Also known as gravity.

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Also known as gravity.

And I suspect my scoliosis!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

And I suspect my scoliosis!

I can no longer stand straight due to a back problem and the aging process.  

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, jimeve said:

80% of fat I consume, 15% protien and the rest I don't care for is carbs. I have bloodfast test and my lab test shows normal range.

It's called a keto diet, not for the week willed. Before I took on this diet I was over 100 kg this morning my weight.... 78.7 kgs.

I nerver get hungry but has it's side effects, like I somtimes get angry, Drinking alcohol get drunk sooner than I wish to and constipation but I can take flax seeds and coconut oil. This is not for everyone.

Could you please explain (apart from the weight loss) the benefits gained from this diet.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Reading this post I guess I'm a freak of nature, I've also had regular check ups throughout my life and came up smiling regardless of my diet. I can remember one doctor laughing after I told him my diet, 7 days per week Chinese takeaways for over 2 yrs as I had no kitchen.  I don't drink or smoke though and keep my self very active but I'm still siting at 92kg and only 5ft 8 which technically makes me obese, yet I train with the lifeguards here who are about half my age and leave most standing.

Breakfast for me can be a bit of banana cake and maybe a yoghurt if feeling hungry, I then have one big meal but just a single course during the day and the odd snack at night time usually a chocloate bar or some chips.  Probably putting away about 2k calories.

My training is at least 3.5km to 7km runs with decent hills, some days I also hit the gym for an hour or two and then I can even squeeze in 1.3km swimming. Sleep I limit to 5hrs per day as I don't get tired but I can fall asleep in seconds once I hit my bed. When I was younger it would take me up to 2hrs to fall asleep.

Strangely last week I had a bit of a cold so ate more and stopped training but lost over one kg.  Started training again and ate less and put the weight back on.

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Could you please explain (apart from the weight loss) the benefits gained from this diet.

A big one is that you can reverse type 2 diabetes and/or prediabetes.  Diabetes and insulin issues are the root cause of many health issues.  Many are calling keto a WOE (way of eating) rather than a diet. because it is more than losing weight.

P.S.  Read the comments on the videos.  Many interesting stories.

Dr. Berg explains well.

I also like Dr. Ekberg

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=main+benefits+of+keto+diet+dr.+ekberg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Reading this post I guess I'm a freak of nature, I've also had regular check ups throughout my life and came up smiling regardless of my diet. I can remember one doctor laughing after I told him my diet, 7 days per week Chinese takeaways for over 2 yrs as I had no kitchen.  I don't drink or smoke though and keep my self very active but I'm still stiitng at 92kg and only 5ft 8 which technically makes me obese, yet I train with the lifeguards here who are about half my age and leave most standing.

Breakfast for me can be a bit of banana cake and maybe a yoghurt if feeling hungry, I then have one big meal but just a single course during the day and the odd snack at night time usually a chocloate bar or some chips.  Probably putting away about 2k calories.

My training is at least 3.5km to 7km runs with decent hills, some days I also hit the gym for an hour or two and then I can even squeeze in 1.3km swimming. Sleep I limit to 5hrs per day as I don't get tired but I can fall asleep in seconds once I hit my bed. When I was younger it would take me up to 2hrs to fall asleep.

Strangely last week I had a bit of a cold so ate more and stopped training but lost over one kg.  Started training again and ate less and put the weight back on.

When I was still athletic I also never had to worry.  When you get older, there are things that often prevent the heavy workouts, and/or we just get lazy.  I admire you and people like my former running buddy in California.  We used to do 10ks together when I was 40 and and he was 42.  Now he is 67 and still doing half-marathons.  He is small and lightweight.  Not so much pounding on the joints.  I had to quit running around 41 due to knees issues.  Started cycling for the next 10 years, then got lazy, having too much good times and German beer!  Excuses, excuses! :smile:

We need to be careful when following doctor recommendations.  I'm now convinced that the majority don't our best interests in mind or lack knowledge.  A pill for everything and no mention of diet, or if they mention diet, they get it all wrong.  Medical schools teach almost nothing on nutrition and what they do teach is the old "food pyramid".   In 2003 when I moved to Florida I saw a new GP who was in my health insurance plan.  Young guy fresh out of medical school.  I was in super good shape, cycling at least 100 miles a week, but due to my diet, still a bit fat with a gut.  He said my BP was a bit high, take this pill.  That should be the last resort, not the first.

Regarding obesity, I think the common guidelines are wrong for many people.  There are factors they don't consider.  When I was cycling a lot and in very good shape, I was still obese by the guidelines.  Legs were big and solid.  Still had tummy fat, but far from "obese'.

• Like 3