It Only took me 29 years...............

Gator
Posted
Posted

I’ve found that after making a suggestion adding the Filipino expression “Up to you” seems to help soften the tone; especially if said with a smile. It allows them to save face by putting the proverbial ball in their court as it  gives them control to take your advice or not. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

When it comes to the issue of criticism, real or perceived, I believe you have to decide if it's a hill you are willing to die on.  

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gator said:

I’ve found that after making a suggestion adding the Filipino expression “Up to you” seems to help soften the tone; especially if said with a smile. It allows them to save face by putting the proverbial ball in their court as it  gives them control to take your advice or not. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I use 'bahala ka' all the time.  I originally came across it in my old Tagalog language learning textbook, under a list of '30 commonly used expressions'.  That seems to be there polite and inoffensive way of proffering advice.

Your mention of tone and smile is what texts leave out, but likely an essential element. Thanks for throwing this out.

• Like 1