Moving to a different part of the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Nearly everyone says that you need to be as far away as possible from the family if you decide to move to the Philippines, but how does your partner feel about that really.

As I’ve never lived there before I will have to rely on Emma for everything so she must like the place too, but I feel she just would like to live in the place she grew up in , I’m really looking for a place with a view , somewhere where I can walk out into the rice fields countryside but also have shops within a short drive , but that’s like living in the provinces is all I get most of the time , so can the city girl that you marry enjoy the rest of there life in a semi rural settings with family around 5 hours away 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Nearly everyone says that you need to be as far away as possible from the family if you decide to move to the Philippines, but how does your partner feel about that really.

As I’ve never lived there before I will have to rely on Emma for everything so she must like the place too, but I feel she just would like to live in the place she grew up in , I’m really looking for a place with a view , somewhere where I can walk out into the rice fields countryside but also have shops within a short drive , but that’s like living in the provinces is all I get most of the time , so can the city girl that you marry enjoy the rest of there life in a semi rural settings with family around 5 hours away 

We live about 30 minutes drive from the family. It's close enough to be convenient but far enough to be not too convenient.

It's case by case but for us there has never been any reason to put some distance between us and them. 

For me, it would have been strange to come to live in my wife's own country yet far from the family. Others have their reasons I understand. 

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Another option is to live somewhere the family would love to visit but in a condo that's just good enough for a few days.

I'm a days travel from my partners family and friends but living on Boracay they see that as a bonus to them as they can use us as an excuse to visit.  Maybe a guest every couple of months for two or three days which I can handle.  

The added bonus my partner loves it also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

so can the city girl that you marry enjoy the rest of there life in a semi rural settings with family around 5 hours away 

She manages to live in another country for years away from family so what would the difference be? At least if only 5 hours away she can visit but if she takes a flight I doubt if any flights are more than an hour away in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, stevewool said:

how does your partner feel about that really

You cannot please all the people all the time

9 hours ago, stevewool said:

I will have to rely on Emma for everything

Then you better please Emma.  Any advice that guys give other guys is to help the guys withstand "Pussy Pressure".  Few guys who succumb to the pressure of being under the wife's thumb lead a truly happy life, but some do.  If pleasing Emma is more important than pleasing yourself then move next door to her family.  That works for some guys, at least for a while.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve, your family has history. Find a location well away from the family that you both could enjoy and rent. Finding a sea view rural area not far from a small to medium sized town is fairly easy but will take some time. 

Snowy makes good point. Most condos security would only admit those you allow and is too small for overnight guests. 

If Emma only want's things her way or is unwilling to happily compromise then you have some decisions to make. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

She manages to live in another country for years away from family so what would the difference be? At least if only 5 hours away she can visit but if she takes a flight I doubt if any flights are more than an hour away in the Philippines.

A very good point you have made , thank you 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You cannot please all the people all the time

Then you better please Emma.  Any advice that guys give other guys is to help the guys withstand "Pussy Pressure".  Few guys who succumb to the pressure of being under the wife's thumb lead a truly happy life, but some do.  If pleasing Emma is more important than pleasing yourself then move next door to her family.  That works for some guys, at least for a while.

I should have explained myself better, in the beginning I would have to rely on Emma of where to pay bills and what bills too if we are to make our future home there , just like she did rely  on me over here , but once everything is settled then it’s a case if she wants to visit and I don’t , we’ll I’ll take her to the bus station or airport 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Steve, your family has history. Find a location well away from the family that you both could enjoy and rent. Finding a sea view rural area not far from a small to medium sized town is fairly easy but will take some time. 

Snowy makes good point. Most condos security would only admit those you allow and is too small for overnight guests. 

If Emma only want's things her way or is unwilling to happily compromise then you have some decisions to make. 

Funny thing is Emma wants what’s best for me and I am sure where ever we land we will both be happy as long as it’s far enough away in my view , Spain springs to mind .

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Without family and old friends around... living in another country can get boring real fast... sometimes you can make new friends... but at our age... they will always be "new".

• Like 1
  • Love it 1