Moving to a different part of the Philippines

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

We live about 30 minutes drive from the family. It's close enough to be convenient but far enough to be not too convenient.

It's case by case but for us there has never been any reason to put some distance between us and them. 

For me, it would have been strange to come to live in my wife's own country yet far from the family. Others have their reasons I understand. 

Pretty much identical to my situation, sister about 40 minutes drive.

Although we never have an issue its nice that little bit of distance as would not like them here 24/7 which could happen. Texting non stop is bad enough. The good side is they are in a farming community so each Sunday while they are non stop yap yap an my job which I love is walking the dogs out in the sugar cane fields, never see anything except nature, guess a win win.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, stevewool said:

everyone says that you need to be as far away as possible from the family if you decide to move to the Philippines

Or find a girl without a family, that solves one or two billion potential problems. But if you can't do that, then yes move to at least a different island and make your own family with her there.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Or find a girl without a family, that solves one or two billion potential problems. But if you can't do that, then yes move to at least a different island and make your own family with her there.

Not that many orphans around though!

It's not a given that family=problems. Steve himself is the only one who can know if his partner's family are problematic and sufficiently so to mean a little distance needs to be put between them.  

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's not a given that family=problems.

Filipinas feel obligated to help their families, if an expat like Steve wants to accept each and every one of those obligations forever, no problems.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Filipinas feel obligated to help their families, if an expat like Steve wants to accept each and every one of those obligations forever, no problems.

That's a generalisation though, you make it sound like an inevitability. I've seen it time and time again with the big-hearted foreigner splashing the cash to curry favour and they then wonder why the family expect the gravy train to continue ad infinitum.  

Alternatively, I struck it real lucky and found the only one who is different! 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

That would be wonderful if it was true, those that choose not to work but can and these are mainly male sit on there arses expecting freebies , I must add not all people are like this , but I refuse to feed and support these folk 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevewool said:

That would be wonderful if it was true, those that choose not to work but can and these are mainly male sit on there arses expecting freebies , I must add not all people are like this , but I refuse to feed and support these folk 

Luckily there are only a couple of those (cousins) in the family here and even SWMBO and her brother and sister have basically given up on them.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Luckily there are only a couple of those (cousins) in the family here and even SWMBO and her brother and sister have basically given up on them.

I have them in my family here but I tell them to there face to swing it and get a job , but the family in the Philippines is so different the wives work so hard but there husbands don’t work at all ,then they have the nerve to ask us to help them out .

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

I've seen it time and time again with the big-hearted foreigner splashing the cash to curry favour and they then wonder why the family expect the gravy train to continue ad infinitum. 

That can extend to everyone, workers, helpers, you generously give them a bonus or a tip, and then it's expected, you're "the foreign who gives bonus and tips", to everyone, forever.  It's a delicate balance, another lesson expats learn the hard way.