Bringing a parent with Dementia to the Philippines instead of putting them in a nursing home

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, fototek1 said:

My wife wants the retirement you described.  She wants the motorhome and to travel in the US and then some world travel. We could afford it but I am a workaholic. I am in early 50's and work over 80 hours/week. Today I worked 17 hours and I am salary. If I am in the woods, on a mountain, swimming in a lake or ocean I can relax but otherwise I feel like I have to be productive. I am screwed! Read the book "Into The Wild". Right now I feel like walking away from everything with my dog, sleeping bag, tent, rice and water and living like that guy. I don't want to suffer in the end but the rest I think is ok.  OKAY I am not depressed, just too much stress. Retirement is supposed to be in 2 years....

My mother traveled all over until she passed away.  A small circle of friends had purchased a general sales agency travel business to avail to freebies and deep discounts from airlines and hotels since everyone in the group was a company director.  One wealthy member of the group had a nurse as companion.  She would take everyone's blood pressure in the morning and dispense medication.  I remember the group was pulled aside in South America at the airport because the nurse was carrying so many bottles of prescription medications.  

I was likewise fearful about becoming bored after retirement.  Ten years ago, I looked into the possibility of providing Alzheimer's care in the Philippines for foreign nationals, primarily Japanese and Americans.  This would keep me busy.  My wife pointed out this would place our money at risk, and it would be at least 5 to 6 years to achieve breakeven.  There was already enough, so why not travel?  There is really never enough so we are still very careful about expenditures.  Our travel is comfortable, but not luxurious.  

• Like 4