SLG

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody know what SLG is?  These guys look young for Senior Leadership Group.  Shore Leave Guard?

There were hundreds of sailors / marines in Harbor Point mall tonight.  I said hello to one USN guy, but I heard others speaking that funny Australian language.

IMG20220929195849.jpg

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Aussie navy used to do an exercise out of Subic with the US, South Korea and PI navies every year around this time but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.  SLG isn't ringing any bells though.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Could it be this?

<snip>The purpose of the ASQA Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG) is to engage and consult with sector
experts on ASQA’s regulatory engagement and education and interactions with regulated entities
as part of ASQA’s Regulatory Operating Model.<end snip>

https://www.asqa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-03/ASQA_SLG_Terms_of_Reference_endorsed_February_2022.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

SLG isn't ringing any bells though.  

Its referred to in this document but not defined.  Ring any bells?

https://www.navy.gov.au/about/organisation/new-generation-navy/leadership-culture-development/leadership-and-ethics-faqs

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

SLG = Slow Learning Group. That’s Aussie politically correct speak for those who rode the short bus to school 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Gator
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

SLG = Slow Learning Group. That’s Aussie politically correct speak for those who rode the short bus to school 🤣🤣🤣

I loved riding on that bus. :hystery:

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Ok, got my answer from my local expert.  Dex Ognita is my local driver that I have recommended here and a few of you have used.  He has contracts with the U.S. Navy and has security clearance to drive on the dock right up to the ship.  He is also a semi-expert on all things military.  He said there are no Aussies military ships in port but there might be some Aussie yachts training here.

SLG is U.S. Navy woke speak for Shore Patrol.  Shore Liaison Group.

Ships in port:

USS New Orleans, USNS John Ericsson, USNS Big Horn and we're expecting Millinocket, Rappahanock and Brunswick by next week

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Could it be this?

<snip>The purpose of the ASQA Stakeholder Liaison Group (SLG) is to engage and consult with sector
experts on ASQA’s regulatory engagement and education and interactions with regulated entities
as part of ASQA’s Regulatory Operating Model.<end snip>

https://www.asqa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-03/ASQA_SLG_Terms_of_Reference_endorsed_February_2022.pdf

That's related to the vocational training in general, not defence specific.  In the case of the linked document VET stands for  Vocational Education and Training i.e. trade schools and training, or anything up to and including what you yanks know as an associates degree (up to two years full-time study).

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

SLG in the context of that document refers to Senior Leadership Group so anyone from captain/full-colonel/group captain and above, or what the yanks would know as O-6 and above.  The guys in Don's picture don't look quite old enough.. 

37 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I loved riding on that bus. :hystery:

There was a different bus??? :89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

SLG is U.S. Navy woke speak for Shore Patrol.  Shore Liaison Group.

Mystery solved!

Huh? Shore patrol was somehow offensive to someone?  Other than when you get dragged away by them I mean... Of course I only ever heard of this happening to other people, never experienced it myself.. :whistling:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

USN whooping it up!  The two in the middle are USN and the other 3 are locals who were performing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1