What Is The Quality Of Water And Food Sources

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Was so proud of myself a couple weeks ago for finding a whole roasted chicken for 100 pesos. This thrifty genious lost the 50 peso savings in the cost of tolet paper alone in the next ten days of frequent trips to the cr. Lesson learned - beware of bargain cut rate food available at the end of the day.Food quality is a big negative about the philippines for me. Back home we have regulations which right-wingers complain about, but which make our food alot safer. Government and industry oversight certainly has its place in keeping food safe. Wish they had more of it here in Phil.That said if u admire slim bodied filipinoes then eat what they do and lose weight. Most westerners would be better off if they did.Stomach problems are common for me here, but i have gone many weeks in past with few problems.
Don't feel bad about the chicken - I did the same thing here about a month ago... And our food inspection requirements in Canada aren't that different than the USA...As for eating what the locals eat? I do that when ever I travel and rarely have a problem... Except when I have had too much to drink and eat off the food carts at night! Or drink too much water (non-bottled) the first few days after arriving... Hehe!

jode
Posted
Posted

There are tens of thousands of differant varieties of bacteria in our mouth stomach and gut. Without them we couldn't survive as they help break down food into nutrients we can absorb. I think each area of the world has an optimal mix of bacteria for dealing with the food of that area and the mix of pathogens on it. It takes a few weeks in a place for our system to reach the proper balance of bacteria varieties for dealing with the local envirenment. Until that optimal mix is achieved we can have stomach problems gas diarhea ect. I think those of us from more sanitized western counties have a difficult time moving to a third world country because we are not as used to dealing with a variety of posibly harmful germs. It can take a few months to be able to deal with the local food without having digestive problems.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
There are tens of thousands of differant varieties of bacteria in our mouth stomach and gut. Without them we couldn't survive as they help break down food into nutrients we can absorb. I think each area of the world has an optimal mix of bacteria for dealing with the food of that area and the mix of pathogens on it. It takes a few weeks in a place for our system to reach the proper balance of bacteria varieties for dealing with the local envirenment. Until that optimal mix is achieved we can have stomach problems gas diarhea ect.I think those of us from more sanitized western counties have a difficult time moving to a third world country because we are not as used to dealing with a variety of posibly harmful germs. It can take a few months to be able to deal with the local food without having digestive problems.
You are so right about our immune system needs more time adjusting to new environment. I usually get the"loose-loose" (loose bowel movement) for about 2-3 days after my first bottle of San Magoo. After that, I'mgood to go. Don't forget about the hazards of using ice cubes for your drink. I'm straight from the bottle.
  • Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I was uploading photos to my gallery today and came across this photo.I think it relates well to quality of foodRegards: Jimpost-5-0-23842700-1333792100_thumb.jpg

dean01
Posted
Posted

Yeah food is worse for me in the fast food places I been sick more times eating at fast food chains , than eating local food, I use to drink the tap water but now drink bottled / purified water. what i do notice is i never get the flu any more. i get the cold for a day but not 3days pluss

• 4 weeks later...
Fatcat
Posted
Posted

Metro Cebu Water Distributor says that it`s tap water is safe to drink. Well I don`t want to try I will stick to bottled water.

I understand that a drop or two of Povidone Iodine 10% in one bottle, and wait 30 minutes, will kill all the buggies.

Fatcat
Posted
Posted

1. I ask the waiter to bring the bottled water unopened. This is to reduce the possibility of their refilling the bottle from the tap. I inspect the seal to make sure it's original. Look for glue residue.2. Don't use the glass. Even if thoroughly washed, the wipe cloth is often dirty. Waiters also stick their fingers inside so they can transport 3 or 4 glasses at the same time. 3. Really hot tea is a good substitute. Also beer and Coca-Cola if drank from the bottle.4. No raw vegetables. There is a good reason why Filipinos boil vegetables as a soup with fish and meat or stir fry.5. No shellfish. The harvest source is shoreline and oftentimes polluted. 6. No tilapia. They are bottom feeders and their food source is anything and everything. They locate ponds next to piggeries since the waste from pigs is consider highly nutrient for the tilapia fish.7. I walk around the restaurant to see what everyone is eating. Wait 20 or 30 minutes, then order the same dishes. Beats paying for a food taster.8. No "turo-turo" places where the food has been left exposed at room temperate, sometimes for hours. My wife once saw a rice dish she thought was "Ala Cubano" with raisins. The waitress swished her hand and all the raisins flew away. My preference is food mean't to be consumed within half an hour after it is prepared.9. Avoid overly spicy food. That's one way to disguise food that starting to become rancid.10. If you uncertain, the large food chains are usually safe or safer because of their standardized food handling procedures. 11. I bring my own pocketknife, one of those small Swiss Army to cut fruits. Rinse it with water and sanitize it later. I have seen some who wipe the knife first on their dirty trousers before cutting fruit. 12. My wife always has packaged quality crackers, nuts, and energy bars in her bag. If she is not comfortable with the food, even at a party, she won't starve. Inspite of all the precautions, I will get really sick at least once. It is best to bring along medication. A sympathetic pharmacist will also sell medication, including antibiotics, that would require a medical doctor's prescription in the United States.

Amazing post. I'm going to print it out, have it framed and hung on my wall!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the compliment. I just returned from an eight days trip to the Philippines. Didn't get sick after following the usual precautions. I invited two Germans for lunch at the Old Swiss Inn in Makati. They have a large platter with different sausages, sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. My guests ate well. I guess they are a little tired of eating rice. The boiled potatoes with a light sprinkling of parsley was a big hit.

Fatcat
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the compliment. I just returned from an eight days trip to the Philippines. Didn't get sick after following the usual precautions. I invited two Germans for lunch at the Old Swiss Inn in Makati. They have a large platter with different sausages, sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. My guests ate well. I guess they are a little tired of eating rice. The boiled potatoes with a light sprinkling of parsley was a big hit.

The "Old Swiss Inn" goes into my notebook. I love German food.