Long trip in Asia

conwat
Posted
Posted

Hi. I'm planning a long trip around Asia from around February with the Philippines as the base. Instead of extending my visa I plan on taking my my girlfriend on vacation for a week or so to places like Tokyo,Kuala Lumpur,Seoul  etc..

My question is would immigration  have an issue with this when I arrive? If I'm able to show that I'm leaving the Philippines after 29 days and flying to Tokyo for. example would  that suffice? Or would they insist I have a return ticket to my home country?

Hoping to hear from anyone with advice. 

Thank you. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

An outgoing ticket will suffice.

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, conwat said:

Hi. I'm planning a long trip around Asia from around February with the Philippines as the base. Instead of extending my visa I plan on taking my my girlfriend on vacation for a week or so to places like Tokyo,Kuala Lumpur,Seoul  etc..

My question is would immigration  have an issue with this when I arrive? If I'm able to show that I'm leaving the Philippines after 29 days and flying to Tokyo for. example would  that suffice? Or would they insist I have a return ticket to my home country?

Thank you. 

is your girlfriend a Filipina? 

Immigration don't care where you go to as long as you leave on or before the visa waiver period runs out (presuming that's how you plan on arriving). 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, conwat said:

No matter what, every time you enter you must have an onward ticket. The airline is tasked to check that. If you read the forum you will see that the easiest and cheapest way is to buy a rent a ticket if you have not  got a destination sorted or plan on staying awhile. But anyway not sure what the issue is in your mind about coming and going as you can stay here for 3 years if you want to. 

Just to add, as already said its an onward ticket to anywhere, not needing to be your home country. Also if your girl has never been out of the country before there are things you and her need to know or she might be off loaded as they call it.

• Like 2

conwat
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No matter what, every time you enter you must have an onward ticket. The airline is tasked to check that. If you read the forum you will see that the easiest and cheapest way is to buy a rent a ticket if you have not  got a destination sorted or plan on staying awhile. But anyway not sure what the issue is in your mind about coming and going as you can stay here for 3 years if you want to. 

Just to add, as already said its an onward ticket to anywhere, not needing to be your home country. Also if your girl has never been out of the country before there are things you and her need to know or she might be off loaded as they call it.

She worked briefly as a domestic  helper in Qatar (it didn't work out great for her!) What type of things do we need to know?

I appreciate all replies  BTW. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No matter what, every time you enter you must have an onward ticket. 

If I’m not mistaken, that mainly applies to those entering on tourist visas and is not applicable to those entering on 13a spousal visas?

And yes, I did read where the op mentioned he is not married. I just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading this thread. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, conwat said:

Thank you. 

So if your girlfriend is from the Philippines you won't be able to take her to Tokyo unless she has successfully got  a visa for Japan. 

Getting your girlfriend through immigration and out of the Philippines to go overseas to any country can in itself be hit and miss...and you need to be aware of how to prepare for that... 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Colsie said:

So if your girlfriend is from the Philippines you won't be able to take her to Tokyo unless she has successfully got  a visa for Japan. 

Getting your girlfriend through immigration and out of the Philippines to go overseas to any country can in itself be hit and miss...and you need to be aware of how to prepare for that... 

These comments if anything are an understatement, first time I brought my partner to Vietnam we arrived at immigration very early, first in Que to check in. Even though after going through the hoops we almost missed flight. Talked to many pissed off, Koreans, Aussies whom did miss their flights due to snail pace of second immigration interview.

Often wondered what happens to the foreigner in this situation, his passport is stamped with departure so curious if he can just enter again without (in effect) departing and start over.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Have tried to take three gfs out of the country, ( not simultaneously !!)  two times were a fail due to immigration .

I was dressed smart, so was the ladies in question . Had photos of our years together, plus lots other info about how we shared our lives etcbut both times were a fail. In both cases they had a new passport. Both cases gf was lets say 30 plus year younger than myself. Tried one last time with a then new gf and was no issue at all, going to KL.

Had a Filipina  come to visit me traveling to Taipei alone, and that was fine... so yes, its hit or miss. Have a plan in case you get past immigration and she cant.

Make sure she knows what to do, ie go home, demand her rights with a senior person etc etc.

Its only the Philippines that has this problem. Have travelled outside Thailand and Indonesia with ladies and not even an eyelid batted. And they say its More Fun in the Philippines....hmmmm

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

These comments if anything are an understatement, first time I brought my partner to Vietnam we arrived at immigration very early, first in Que to check in. Even though after going through the hoops we almost missed flight. Talked to many pissed off, Koreans, Aussies whom did miss their flights due to snail pace of second immigration interview.

Often wondered what happens to the foreigner in this situation, his passport is stamped with departure so curious if he can just enter again without (in effect) departing and start over.

This reminds me of a solo flight I was taking from Manila to Osaka, Japan. I cleared immigration and was quietly waiting at the gate to board the plane. Then 10 minutes before boarding the flight was cancelled due to a typhoon near Japan. 

What happened next :shock_40_anim_gif:

I sent back through immigration the wrong way and told to come back tomorrow and give the immigration guy a nod and he'll let me back through... :hystery:

Cebu Pacific put me on the next day flight (after an uncomfortable night in the airport) and sure enough, I asked for the immigration guy and he VIPed me through the queue of people...and with one touch of his magic pen, everything was done. (I now left on the 10th)

Only in the Philippines, the rules apply until they don't... 

20221009_131346.jpg

• Like 1