Sea kayaking in Philippines.... Heeb, anyone?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Heeb recently mentioned he has a Kayak and I know the late James Musslewhite did as well. Anyone else? Curious what your experiences are.  Please share?

It seems to me living near to the water in Philippines would be perfect for sea kayaking. I have no clue what ones are available in Philippines the ones here are not cheap but you get what you pay for. They are awesome to cruse around and explore very seaworthy too.

Several resorts we've visited had the cheap plastic ones not a real kayak.

Not sure how you could have one shipped to Philippines it would likely be expensive?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There are quite a few advertised on Lazada.  Not sure of the build and/or material quality.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Heeb recently mentioned he has a Kayak and I know the late James Musslewhite did as well. Anyone else? Curious what your experiences are.  Please share?

It seems to me living near to the water in Philippines would be perfect for sea kayaking. I have no clue what ones are available in Philippines the ones here are not cheap but you get what you pay for. They are awesome to cruse around and explore very seaworthy too.

Several resorts we've visited had the cheap plastic ones not a real kayak.

Not sure how you could have one shipped to Philippines it would likely be expensive?

You can get good kayaks here.  Not sure how to id a cheap plastic one vs. a quality plastic one.  HMR often has them.  Yesterday they had a nice 2 Kayak rack but no Kayaks.

A few neighbors have them.  One guy goes in the mangroves and it looks really nice there.  All the resorts have them

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Try kayaking, they said.  It will be fun!

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There was a flock of birds circling a spot in the ocean, that means that there was food there (possibly a fish ball).

Seals, penguins etc tend to hunt those fish and whales (and sharks) hunt the seals etc.

It has been stated many times before that sharks (and it appears whales) can confuse a surfboard or paddle board for a marine animal on the surface and they will treat you as food.

Do NOT paddle out to see the nice flock of birds... just don't ok.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

There was a flock of birds circling a spot in the ocean, that means that there was food there (possibly a fish ball).

Seals, penguins etc tend to hunt those fish and whales (and sharks) hunt the seals etc.

It has been stated many times before that sharks (and it appears whales) can confuse a surfboard or paddle board for a marine animal on the surface and they will treat you as food.

Do NOT paddle out to see the nice flock of birds... just don't ok.

The central coast of California is very popular for kayaking.  I have kayaked in Monterey Bay a few times.  Here is a pic of my nephew and his daughter with a halibut they caught recently, from a kayak.  He is a marine biologist in Monterey Bay Aquarium.

310038330_10105584303188508_5569330608418242050_n.jpg  309548290_10105584303183518_6226443086926222744_n.jpg

Those people are kayaking in that Avila Beach area in order to see the humpbacks.  The schools of fish move quickly and there is not much you can do if you end up on top of the school.  In the second video, you can see the school surfacing when the humpback is chasing them up.  Better to be in the mouth than underneath when it lands!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In the second video

The videographer sounded gleeful that he got it on video.  I would be more concerned if the people were ok.  Luckily they were.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You make a valid point onmyway... my perspective was coming from an electric motor kayak perspective (health issues restrict paddling ability).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The wife and I did a day kayak tour in the San Juan islands (Washington state).  It was a real challenge for me as Lani sat in the front of the kayak and I could never match her rhythm (should say lack of rhythm) paddling.  Other than that it was enjoyable and we met some nice folks in the other kayaks.  If I were to buy one here I would definately take a look at those which have an acrylic window built into the bottom. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

The wife and I did a day kayak tour in the San Juan islands (Washington state).  It was a real challenge for me as Lani sat in the front of the kayak and I could never match her rhythm (should say lack of rhythm) paddling.  Other than that it was enjoyable and we met some nice folks in the other kayaks.  If I were to buy one here I would definately take a look at those which have an acrylic window built into the bottom. 

Do you have HMR in your area?  Not recently, but they used to have kayaks made entirely of clear acrylic.