Venomous Snake Bite Death at my house

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I didn't personally know the poor 10 year old child, by I am severely rattled and writing this to try to get past this tragedy.

I am out of country currently and back in the cold land until January, but feeling quite saddened. Just want to mention the dangers of vipers in the PI is a real and always present danger to both the unwary and wary as well. Accidents do happen and when you unintentionally surprise a snake.....

My wife went down to Iloilo a few days ago to attend a relative's funeral. She had a  comadre house sit like she often did in the past. Usually people don't like to be alone in this culture, so the mother brought her young daughter along for the brief stay as usual. 

While in Iloilo, the comadre contacted the wife to report seeing a snake in the house. Here, the details get hazy for me since the wife's texted English is not very precise. Apparently they had another Ate's experienced adult nephew do a search, but no luck in finding it. Then the next day the young girl went out on the porch to take her uniform off a clothes line, and surprised the snake, which bit her.

The mother took her to the hospital and they put her under observation, but the venom was too much for her body and she died the next day. When my wife returned the girl died a few hours later.  A very tragic experience to learn from the hard way re snakes that make their way onto your property. Times of flooding and high water drive them to high ground, which makes our lot a target since it sits near rice fields and marshy empty lots.

A snake finds its way in every 2 or 3 years (that we are aware of , at least), and I always figured that they were most likely the common and non-venomous types, but my assumption is invalid.

• Sad 10

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So sorry to hear this tragic news.  Condolences to the girl's family and your family too.  May she rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I didn't personally know the poor 10 year old child, by I am severely rattled and writing this to try to get past this tragedy.

I am out of country currently and back in the cold land until January, but feeling quite saddened. Just want to mention the dangers of vipers in the PI is a real and always present danger to both the unwary and wary as well. Accidents do happen and when you unintentionally surprise a snake.....

My wife went down to Iloilo a few days ago to attend a relative's funeral. She had a  comadre house sit like she often did in the past. Usually people don't like to be alone in this culture, so the mother brought her young daughter along for the brief stay as usual. 

While in Iloilo, the comadre contacted the wife to report seeing a snake in the house. Here, the details get hazy for me since the wife's texted English is not very precise. Apparently they had another Ate's experienced adult nephew do a search, but no luck in finding it. Then the next day the young girl went out on the porch to take her uniform off a clothes line, and surprised the snake, which bit her.

The mother took her to the hospital and they put her under observation, but the venom was too much for her body and she died the next day. When my wife returned the girl died a few hours later.  A very tragic experience to learn from the hard way re snakes that make their way onto your property. Times of flooding and high water drive them to high ground, which makes our lot a target since it sits near rice fields and marshy empty lots.

A snake finds its way in every 2 or 3 years (that we are aware of , at least), and I always figured that they were most likely the common and non-venomous types, but my assumption is invalid.

Condolences for the family of that poor child.

L told me that she was out playing when a young child and that one of her family's dogs came across a spitting cobra. Apparently, the cobra spit venom that hit the dog on the side of his head. According to her, the venom actually burned into the skin of the animal and it died soon thereafter... I never knew that just a skin contact might injure or kill a person or animal... More reason to be so careful regarding snakes here!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A sad and tragic tale.  Thanks for sharing it.  Heaven has gained another angel  :2245_safe:

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Australia has some of the deadliest snakes and the procedure is simply in itself. 

True but most treatment here revolves around putting a snake bite bandage on the limb (or in the old days a tornequet released briefly every 15 minutes) to buy time for anti venom to be administered.

I honestly don't know if anti venom is widely available in the philippines (or indeed if it's available at all).

You have made me consider putting a snake bite first aid kit into the next balikbayan box though...

• Like 5

Colsie
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Very sad to hear this, its very unpleasant news to hear of a child being killed by a snake. 

At one time I would rarely gets snakes here. In the last month or so I've had to kill a few spitting cobra's as GF has many pets and poultry here that attracts them. Only yesterday I tried to kill one but it was going to strike and l couldn't get to it with the weapon at hand and it got away... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Colsie said:

Very sad to hear this, its very unpleasant news to hear of a child being killed by a snake. 

At one time I would rarely gets snakes here. In the last month or so I've had to kill a few spitting cobra's as GF has many pets and poultry here that attracts them. Only yesterday I tried to kill one but it was going to strike and l couldn't get to it with the weapon at hand and it got away... 

Same here - I had seen 2 in 7 years and I saw 2 in one day here -it may have been the same one twice admittedly. And, there were 2 reports on local media of pretty big snakes just a couple of hundred yards from my place.

More than likely just coincidence - hopefully!

• Like 2