Working as freelance in PH.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

BOI = Bureau of Investments, who work closely with Trade and Industry.  I think it is their permission you need to get one of those SIRV Visas for starting a business that employees 15 Filipinos.

However, perhaps you both mean BI = Bureau of Immigration who will probably refer you to the DOLE = Department of Labor and Employment who decides whether you can get a work permit.

And yes, the BIR will likely tell you to pay taxes, even if you don't need to, IMO.  It seems they would rather err on the side of money in their pockets rather than money in yours.

And I cannot be sure if there is corruption in any of those departments.  Its just by word of mouth that I know someone who knows someone who says its best to keep a low profile.

Suffice it to say you need permission from all pertinent agencies if you want all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Thanks for the corrections :)

18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That may be why a lot of fellows just marry a Filipina and get a marriage visa.  Then you can work as you like, subject to Executive Order No. 175, of course. (Link here for that one:   https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/downloads/2022/06jun/20220627-EO-175-RRD.pdf )

I have that in mind if issues start to arise.
I will keep a low profile until i am warned. After i will do everything by the book, until i get married.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Which country you pay income taxes depends on where the money was earned.  If the freelance work was paid in the Philippines, then you have to declare the amount to the B.I.R.  The complication is international tax treaties between two countries.  For example, American corporate executives sent to the Philippines are paid their main salary in the USA and a second amount for the local subsidiary.  The second amount is taxed by the B.I.R.

I believe what you are asking is about Digital Nomads.  Unfortunately, this is rather new and there are no clear rules.  Every country, of course, wants a piece of the pie including the B.I.R.  This will probably be sorted out at some future international taxation meeting. 

I have no issues with this as long as it's not too high.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Don't.

The only authority who can properly advise you on tax are the BIR.  Talk to the BIR and follow their guidance and nobody else's when it comes to tax.

Noted :)

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

There's not really any option to do it completely legally other than getting a marriage visa lol.

On my plans :dance:

Edited by f5m9v6

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's what most people try to tell this OP.  Some good sense in those two quotes.  The OP seems to be one who does not understand terms like "grey area" or "stay under the radar"

No Dave. I understand that!
"Mike J" for instance told things in a different approach.
I got it that i should fly under the radar, but i also want to avoid future entrance blockage.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

I have no issues with this as long as it's not too high.

I would love to tell the BIR that - I will pay as long as it's not too much.  They'll be fine with that, I'm sure!

• Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I will keep a low profile until i am warned. After i will do everything by the book, until i get married.

Recognising that after getting married, your problems with BI might pale into insignificance lol

• Haha 3

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I would love to tell the BIR that - I will pay as long as it's not too much.  They'll be fine with that, I'm sure!

:shades:

I meant as long as i'm not being the target of too much corruption.

• Like 1

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Freebie said:

Recognising that after getting married, your problems with BI might pale into insignificance lol

That's the aim :laugh:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

:shades:

I meant as long as i'm not being the target of too much corruption.

I haven't experienced much, if any of that here but others seem to have different experiences.  

• Like 1