Dog Breeders in The Philippines - Good Luck.

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

Not being picky, is the local native dog called Askals? Or Aspins?

Aspin is the new politically correct way to say Askal 😀Seems more popular in the south, as we still say Askal here in Luzon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2022 at 9:06 PM, Gas said:

Aspin is the new politically correct way to say Askal 😀Seems more popular in the south, as we still say Askal here in Luzon. 

Living here in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental I have never heard the term 'Aspin' used here before.  The missus comes from Cebu City and she said she has never heard that term used there either. Both of us are only familiar with the term 'Askal'.  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Living here in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental I have never heard the term 'Aspin' used here before.  The missus comes from Cebu City and she said she has never heard that term used there either. Both of us are only familiar with the term 'Askal'.  

Funny you say that mate, I asked the Midget what an "Aspin" was, and she knew right away.  I first came across the term on the Dumaguete Pet Care and Adoption Facebook page (page for give away dogs, cats or any pet really).  I'd never heard "Askal" until months later.  Here's a quote from Wiki:

By the late 20th century, dogs commonly seen wandering the streets were called "askal", a Tagalog-derived portmanteau of asong kalye, which literally means street dog. In 2007, the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) suggested the alternative term "aspin", short for asong Pinoy (Pinoy dog) to avoid the stigma associated with the term "askal".[1]

In Cebuano, dogs are called irong Bisaya, which literally means "Visayan dog" or "native dog",[a] implying that these are not thought of as a mixed-breed dog so much as unbred mongrels with no purebred ancestors.[2] This is only from a Visayan point of view since irong Bisaya does not differ in character or physical appearance from the other askals found in the Philippines. Physically, the dogs have "all shapes, configurations and sizes."[3]

If I say Aspin around here, everyone knows what I mean.  Regional variations I guess.  

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Askal is the nickname of Philippine national football team. From the native street dog.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, jimeve said:

Askal is the nickname of Philippine national football team. From the native street dog.

Curious.  Is that American style football or soccer? 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Soccer.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 

Football, NOT soccer. :hystery:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:
Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 

Football, NOT soccer. :hystery:

Yet another reason that FIFA should be replaced! :whistling:

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Yet another reason that FIFA should be replaced! :whistling:

At least when you guys started your funny football you didn't expect the rest of the world to change the name of the real football! :popcorn:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, BrettGC said:

I could go on about the issues here in PI with most dog owners that we all witness daily but unless they bring in mandatory registration, micro-chipping, de-sexing, vaccination and start enforcing animal protection laws there’s not much point.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

And the irony is that if you bring In a dog from the outside, ya gotta have every canine vax known to mankind and governement issued health certifications, etc.  

• Like 1