Shocking! Filipinos Queue

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I was shocked to see long, single file lines of evening commuters patiently waiting for a jeepney.  What happened to the good old days when you had to push and shove for public transportation?  Forming a queue is very British.  When 3 Brits meet, they immediately form a queue.  Must be from their early childhood training. 

Commuters Queue.jpg

Great to hear our influence is having a positive influence on things here.  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

If you are ever outside Landmark on Makati Ave side at 6pm onwards , there have long lines for past 20 years there to get jeepneys. They know that if they start to push in  there, where the lines are 200metres long every night, then anarchy would commence. 

Long lines to get on a ferry from Siquijor, when one boat was announced " broken " and everyone stood in what might have  been described as  a line for the next ferry, now THAT was anarchy.. every man woman and child for themself. No one cared who got shoved aside. Rather like Filipino drivers who must always be first becausse they are more important than the next driver in line.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Freebie said:

If you are ever outside Landmark on Makati Ave side at 6pm onwards , there have long lines for past 20 years there to get jeepneys. They know that if they start to push in  there, where the lines are 200metres long every night, then anarchy would commence. 

Long lines to get on a ferry from Siquijor, when one boat was announced " broken " and everyone stood in what might have  been described as  a line for the next ferry, now THAT was anarchy.. every man woman and child for themself. No one cared who got shoved aside. Rather like Filipino drivers who must always be first becausse they are more important than the next driver in line.

OK, I'm British so biased, but on what planet does queuing not make perfect sense?  Most people and places are switched on to this now (finally) but there still exists a few pinch points.  One is a Krispy Kreme stall in our SM.  There is a perfect horizontal space to form a queue in front of the counter yet every Sunday I'm there it's chaos with a huddle of 6 or 7 people around the register and nobody knowing who is next.  Makes no sense for anyone.  The jeepney battle situation I can kinda understand as there is limited places so panic sets in and there is an incentive to push and shove for your place.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos do not like lines for some reason.

Durning the height of covid our SnR store had a snake type barriers so everyone would stay in line at the fast food snack bar. Worked really well, No jumping the line, no switching lines, everyone just stood in line and waited for the next teller. Now that things are back to normal they removed the barriers and once again things are back to their disorganized NORMAL :whatever::hystery:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, scott h said:

Most Filipinos do not like lines for some reason.

Durning the height of covid our SnR store had a snake type barriers so everyone would stay in line at the fast food snack bar. Worked really well, No jumping the line, no switching lines, everyone just stood in line and waited for the next teller. Now that things are back to normal they removed the barriers and once again things are back to their disorganized NORMAL :whatever::hystery:

Yep.

When I was living in Hong Kong I sometimes noted some behaviours which were strange and made no sense.  I asked a local colleague about it and he described it as "passive resistance" and a throwback to the colonial days where people had little opportunity to protest about much so they would "throw a spanner in the works" whenever and wherever they could just to cause minor disruption - often to themselves more than anyone else.  Whilst the colonial days have passed, the behaviours have remained and maybe become part of the DNA.

I wonder if that could be a small part of some of the nonsense that goes on here at times?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder if that could be a small part of some of the nonsense that goes on here at times?

I kind of think it is a self perpetuating behavior plus the culture of SIR (smooth interpersonal relationships).  Filipinos are taught from an early age to be non-confrontational.  So if you do not confront the person cutting the line, you need to also crowd up or you never get to the front of the line.  Driving is similar, if you do not force your way into uncontrolled busy traffic, you will sit at the intersection until about 2:00 am.   Frustrating for sure and I am amazed that is almost zero "road rage" here.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I kind of think it is a self perpetuating behavior plus the culture of SIR (smooth interpersonal relationships).  Filipinos are taught from an early age to be non-confrontational.  So if you do not confront the person cutting the line, you need to also crowd up or you never get to the front of the line.  Driving is similar, if you do not force your way into uncontrolled busy traffic, you will sit at the intersection until about 2:00 am.   Frustrating for sure and I am amazed that is almost zero "road rage" here.

Non-confrontational or just plain rude? It's a tough call and probably a bit of both depending on the individual. 

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

I guess cutting lines in and of itself is rude behavior, but for some reason I have never met or dealt with a Filipino that I considered rude.  Maybe I have been fortunate in the people I meet?  On the other hand, I have seen quite a few expats who were the very definition of rude and obnoxious.

Come out to the province and you will get a good dose of rude people, doesn’t matter where you are it’s survival of the rudest.

• Love it 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 1