Shocking! Filipinos Queue

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Come out to the province and you will get a good dose of rude people, doesn’t matter where you are it’s survival of the rudest.

I live in the province.  That has not been my experience, the people here are warm, friendly, and welcoming.   

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I live in the province.  That has not been my experience, the people here are warm, friendly, and welcoming.   

That's my experience as well.  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Mike J said:

the people here are warm, friendly, and welcoming

I had that experience when my car broke down near Moalboal.  Come on in, Sir.  Welcome.  We can fix your car for you.  Just relax.  The 4 of us will work on it and we'll have you going in no time.  Just a few thousand pesos.  Nothing at all for a white foreigner like you.

(I was pretty sure it was a water leak or a water pump).  They pissed around for a couple of hours, friendly and welcoming for sure, but getting nothing done.  I finally asked them to put it back together and limped it back to Dumaguete by stopping frequently to add water.  My regular mechanic came by and fixed it in an hour once I was home.

BUT, on point, these fellows were warm, friendly and welcoming.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't find locals any more or less rude than folk from most other places I've been.  In just one day (yesterday)  I had 3 experiences of rude behaviour 1) queue jumping at the modern jeepney; 2) folk just walking to the front of the long line for cotton candy for kids and 3) a young guy asking for extra gravy in KFC - no please or thank you at all.  In themselves nothing dramatic but still rude nonetheless.  

As I said, I find folk here to be no more or less rude than I've experienced in many other places, and less so than my experience in Hong Kong with locals so it's all good.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, Onemore52 said:

Come out to the province and you will get a good dose of rude people, doesn’t matter where you are it’s survival of the rudest.

Can you be more precise? I remember during living in Siquijor what really pi....me off was, after shopping Larena and returning to the jeep, my mirrors on both sides were always pointing in another direction. Be it locals shaving or just preening themselves I never did find out.

• Hmm thinking 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

Can you be more precise? I remember during living in Siquijor what really pi....me off was, after shopping Larena and returning to the jeep, my mirrors on both sides were always pointing in another direction. Be it locals shaving or just preening themselves I never did find out.

a couple of examples:

When exiting the manual doors which are hard to push open I notice that the locals will not hold the door open for anyone, especially for elderly people as myself with a very noticeable limp as I approach the door.

Now before I get a lot of criticism for being self indulged, I have to admit that I have admitted defeat and I am going to become like them,

not just in everyday things like letting people in front of me in the queue with only a couple of items, and holding doors open for people, just barge in like the rest of them. Yesterday while waiting to get scanned at the SM store a middle aged man tried to barge in front of me in the line, I said in a loud voice "Hey do you mind waiting your turn". While waling across the carpark a tricycle driver nearly ran me over because he is a tricycle driver and they are very special people in the province, so I kept my line and he had to brake hard.

My next post will be about car servicing.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

a couple of examples:

When exiting the manual doors which are hard to push open I notice that the locals will not hold the door open for anyone, especially for elderly people as myself with a very noticeable limp as I approach the door.

Now before I get a lot of criticism for being self indulged, I have to admit that I have admitted defeat and I am going to become like them,

not just in everyday things like letting people in front of me in the queue with only a couple of items, and holding doors open for people, just barge in like the rest of them. Yesterday while waiting to get scanned at the SM store a middle aged man tried to barge in front of me in the line, I said in a loud voice "Hey do you mind waiting your turn". While waling across the carpark a tricycle driver nearly ran me over because he is a tricycle driver and they are very special people in the province, so I kept my line and he had to brake hard.

My next post will be about car servicing.

You will not get any criticism from me, as I am a "door holder" myself.  I hold the door open for others regardless of age, and have had Filipinos hold the door for me.  When shopping I use the senior citizen line (age 72) and have never been crowded or cutoff.  If there are young folks in the senior line, and I am fatigued, I will politely ask; "I am a senior, may I go in front."  It always has worked and the people are not offended and, in fact, normally quite gracious.    My experience here in Moalboal and my opinion of course.  Perhaps it helps that we have lived in a small town for nine years now and people see me as a resident and not a tourist?  Ladies behind the counter at the 360 Pharmacy call me "Uncle". :tongue: 

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

You will not get any criticism from me, as I am a "door holder" myself.  I hold the door open for others regardless of age, and have had Filipinos hold the door for me.  When shopping I use the senior citizen line (age 72) and have never been crowded or cutoff.  If there are young folks in the senior line, and I am fatigued, I will politely ask; "I am a senior, may I go in front."  It always has worked and the people are not offended and, in fact, normally quite gracious.    My experience here in Moalboal and my opinion of course.  Perhaps it helps that we have lived in a small town for nine years now and people see me as a resident and not a tourist?  Ladies behind the counter at the 360 Pharmacy call me "Uncle". :tongue: 

Kuya Mike from now on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

Kuya Mike from now on.

I would consider that an honor. :thumbsup:

• Like 2