Tiny Red Fire Ants Got Me!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My wife and I were headed out for a quick shop at the mall this evening.  As I got into the car, parked on concrete, I felt a sting.  Flipped my sandal off but I knew it was the little fire ants.  I got two stings.  I didn't know exactly where they got on my right foot.

I think I am allergic to them.  At first, severe stinging pain, then itching.  After 12-24 hours bumps form, and then they turn into blisters with sever itching.  Usually takes several days for everything to go away.

So we went to the mall and the itching calmed down.  Came home, forgetting about them, and stepped out of the car onto the concrete, and while locking the car, I felt them attacking, big time.  I was jumping around on the nearby grass, trying to get them off.  Now, I probably have 10 bites on each foot/ankle.  It is going to be a long week!  My wife pointed her flashlight down on the concrete, and they were swarming in a crack in the concrete.  We have a lot of big red tree ants that bite but don't sting, but I have not seen the tiny fire ants around in some time.  They are dead meat in the morning.

Once inside, washed my feet with alcohol, then put on Hydrocortisone.  Later, my wife rubbed some of that smelly camphor oil on them.  Wait and see now.

• Sad 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Flipped my sandal off but I knew it was the little fire ants.

And NOW you know why I wear socks with my sandals.  Too bad everybody doesn't :whistling:

• Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My wife and I were headed out for a quick shop at the mall this evening.  As I got into the car, parked on concrete, I felt a sting.  Flipped my sandal off but I knew it was the little fire ants.  I got two stings.  I didn't know exactly where they got on my right foot.

I think I am allergic to them.  At first, severe stinging pain, then itching.  After 12-24 hours bumps form, and then they turn into blisters with sever itching.  Usually takes several days for everything to go away.

So we went to the mall and the itching calmed down.  Came home, forgetting about them, and stepped out of the car onto the concrete, and while locking the car, I felt them attacking, big time.  I was jumping around on the nearby grass, trying to get them off.  Now, I probably have 10 bites on each foot/ankle.  It is going to be a long week!  My wife pointed her flashlight down on the concrete, and they were swarming in a crack in the concrete.  We have a lot of big red tree ants that bite but don't sting, but I have not seen the tiny fire ants around in some time.  They are dead meat in the morning.

Once inside, washed my feet with alcohol, then put on Hydrocortisone.  Later, my wife rubbed some of that smelly camphor oil on them.  Wait and see now.

Your symptoms sound normal and not like an allergic reaction. Living in Florida for I’ve gotten bit by them many times, more then I care to remember. Lol

Alcohol can actually make the bites feel more painful. Try vinegar or ammonia compresses. Should help to speed up the healing process and relive the itching. And don’t pop the blisters as they could become infected; just them dry up and heal on their own. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Your symptoms sound normal and not like an allergic reaction. Living in Florida for I’ve gotten bit by them many times, more then I care to remember. Lol

Alcohol can actually make the bites feel more painful. Try vinegar or ammonia compresses. Should help to speed up the healing process and relive the itching. And don’t pop the blisters as they could become infected; just them dry up and heal on their own. 

Vinegar is great for most insect/creature stings including assorted jellyfish.  Vaseline can help stop the itchiness as well.  

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Get you wife to pee on the affected areas, it works.

• Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And NOW you know why I wear socks with my sandals.  Too bad everybody doesn't :whistling:

I think you have to be a certain age to wear socks with sandals. Lucky I was born in a different time. 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2022 at 3:12 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

image.jpeg

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2022 at 3:12 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I'd prefer to suffer the pain than resort to that. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2022 at 12:56 AM, OnMyWay said:

I get bitten frequently by them - we have outdoor cats so plenty of food attracting them.  It does sting and itch but I find the sting goes after an hour or less and no ongoing reaction so I guess you do have an allergy issue.  I dab a little alcohol which may or may not do any good but doesn't do any harm so why not!