No More SIM Card Slots on iPhone 14

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)

I didn't want to hijack the current thread about SIM Card Problems, so here it goes:

SIM.jpg

In my case, I had to also buy a cheap android phone (about $100), since my wife and I still have a bank account in the Philippines, and we can only receive the OTP's from our Philippine bank on phones with a SIM. We hardly ever use our Philippine bank anymore but there are times when it becomes necessary. Other times, we transfer US Dollars to the Philippine bank when the value in Pisos reaches 60 per US Dollar.

For what it's worth, I've read that the missing SIM Card slot is an issue that's mostly limited to the States and that many iPhone 14 models with a SIM card slot are available in Asia.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
grammar

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My wife's IPhone 14 Pro Max was delivered to her, here in Canada, in the last week of October.  It has a slot for her SIM card.  In fact, it is hardly any different from the IPhone 13 she traded in.  Waste of money in my opinion.  Now she is considering another Samsung as her next phone as Apple seem to have lost the plot.

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In fact, it is hardly any different from the IPhone 13 she traded in. 

That's a matter of opinion of course since the cameras on the iPhone 14 are far superior to the iPhone 13. My wife, a typical Filipina, loves taking pictures! The iPhone 14 photos and videos are much better than the photos that she took with her iPhone 13. This makes my wife happy, and as they say (maybe just here in the States):

happy.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

That's a matter of opinion of course since the cameras on the iPhone 14 are far superior to the iPhone 13

Yes.  My wife's opinion is that the camera on the 14 sucks.  It has to do with this bug:

The bug in the company's iPhone 14 Pro Max, the most expensive model in the iPhone 14 range, appears to affect the optical image stabilisation (OIS) feature, which uses a motor to eliminate the effects of camera shake when taking pictures.

Apple has confirmed a serious problem affecting many iPhone 14 Pro users, and is currently working on a fix. https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2022/09/20/apple-confirms-fix-for-serious-iphone-14-pro-camera-problem---heres-what-to-do/

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes.  My wife's opinion is that the camera on the 14 sucks.  It has to do with this bug:

In my case, I think that the bugs have already been fixed with several updates since I don't see any of the problems mentioned in your link (from September 20th). 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-releases-ios-update-to-fix-iphone-14-pro-camera-shaking-problem/

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My wife's IPhone 14 Pro Max was delivered to her, here in Canada, in the last week of October.  It has a slot for her SIM card.  In fact, it is hardly any different from the IPhone 13 she traded in.  Waste of money in my opinion.  Now she is considering another Samsung as her next phone as Apple seem to have lost the plot.

Was her iPhone 14 Pro Max ordered from the Philippines or from Canada?

In either case, why not make her and you both happy by switching to Samsung (which she has already considered?) I'm not familiar with Canadian mobile phone companies, but in the States, there are great deals on trade-ins if you switch plans with another company.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
added info
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

In either case, why not make her and you both happy by switching to Samsung (which she has already considered?)

Because she spends too much dang money on phones :hystery:  

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It is only the USA specification iPhone 14 series that have no physical SIM slots, the ones sold in most countries retain a combination of a single physical SIM slot and single ESIM capability.  To avoid this issue just buy your iPhones from (almost) anywhere except for the USA.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Wow, 80K peso for a new Apple phone.  That is just so hard to imagine.  Are they really worth the extra money or do folks buy them as a sort of status symbol?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Are they really worth the extra money

They are just cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 which is the alternative at ₱98,990.00

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Wow, 80K peso for a new Apple phone.  That is just so hard to imagine.  Are they really worth the extra money or do folks buy them as a sort of status symbol?

I will never buy Apple products.  Sounds like that SIM card slot thing is another case of them making everything proprietary, which is the main reason I have always avoided them.  Now there are some political reasons why one might want to avoid them.

• Like 2