No More SIM Card Slots on iPhone 14

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Are they really worth the extra money or do folks buy them as a sort of status symbol?

Mostly status symbol I believe. I dont need a high end phone as most these days have good enough cameras and what do I do with a phone other than some text messages, a rare phone call and sometimes needed to login to accounts so any smartphone suits me.  I have this argument with the GF over phones as I say why buy a new model phone which is expensive and give it 6 months a newer model is out supposingly better and the previous one which might be top of the line at the time but is now worth half the price.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont need a high end phone

Neither do I.  But replacing my laptop would cost as much as a high end phone.  Many of the Filipinas who have the high end phones use them as much as I use my laptop.  I guess it is all about difference of opinions.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Wow, 80K peso for a new Apple phone.  That is just so hard to imagine.  Are they really worth the extra money or do folks buy them as a sort of status symbol?

I use an Apple iPhone and you really don't have to pay 80k for a new one (I certainly wouldn't) that's the price for the top of the line in the biggest storage variant.

eg the iPhone 14 Pro Max is 77990, the 14 Pro is 70990, the 14 Plus is 63990, the 14 is 56,990 and the SE is only 30,990  

Another thing that's commonly done is to buy the previous version new (Apple keep them on sale) and prices for the 13 series are even lower than that above.

I generally replace mine every 2 or 3 years and I find that they're more stable than the Android phones that SWMBO and I also have and warranty service is easier too.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Neither do I.  But replacing my laptop would cost as much as a high end phone.  Many of the Filipinas who have the high end phones use them as much as I use my laptop.  I guess it is all about difference of opinions.

Yes but a low end phone would do the same thing as a high end phone if being used as a laptop. They both connect to the internet and low or high do the same. Depending on the model one might be a bit faster than the other but still do the same thing :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Trying not to highjack the thread too much but I love my Huawei, just download an App to bypass the crazy Google restrictions, failing that Doogee mobiles out of China are way ahead of the West, literaly bombproof, great cameras, memory and a massive battery life.  I've had one over ten years and you can smack the screen against the corner of a table and it won't break, battery last days. Added to this they are a fraction of the price of an Iphone. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Trying not to highjack the thread too much but I love my Huawei,

Same with my experience.  I have a Huawei P30 lite.  Zero issues since I bought it about 3 years ago. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You must be using your laptop A LOT then!!! 😉

• Haha 2

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

About 20 years ago, a friend asked me about the future of the Internet… would it be, laptops, desktops, or something else? I said that there would be newer mobile phone devices that would take over the Internet and my friend flat out refused to believe that would ever happen… so, until the next great thing comes along, smartphones (no matter which brand or model you use) are going to dominate the consumer segment of Internet devices. Now I’m going back to predicting what’s coming next. :smile:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/18/2022 at 5:05 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but a low end phone would do the same thing as a high end phone if being used as a laptop. They both connect to the internet and low or high do the same. Depending on the model one might be a bit faster than the other but still do the same thing :thumbsup:

Well... sort of... it really depends upon what you're using them for, phone manufacturers keep their best camera setups for their high end phones.

I use my phone as a replacement for the cameras I had for decades so I want a good low light camera (and whilst mid range phones can take good day time photos they tend to be weaker at night).  I do do most photo processing on the phone these days too (although a mid range phone will handle that ok) and Apple have traditionally emphasized photography over other functions.  Only the Samsung S series and the top of the line Google phone matches it.

The camera in my iPhone is superior to the camera in my Realme 9 Pro+ during the day (better color accuracy) but the real difference is at night when the Realme struggles.

Nb The Realme 9 Pro+ is a powerful higher midrange phone, cheaper Androids would almost certainly do worse.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2