Driving in Western Australia

Colsie
Posted
Posted

I recently arrived here in Perth WA and went to renew my WA driving licence. Unfortunately its expired by more than 5yrs and I have been told by several experience staff at the Department of Transport that I will have to reapply for a licence and this involves both a theory and practical test. (which I passed when I was 17yo). So about 45 years of driving in total over 10yrs here in Perth, means nothing. 

I thought, hold on a minute, I have a valid Philippine license I can simply convert that to a WA license as I did with my UK driving licence back in 2001. No, because I have Australian citizenship I'm not allowed legally to drive around Aus on a Philippines license. If I was a tourist or here on a temporary visa, then yes... 

So if you're Australian and driving here on a foreign license you may be braking the law. 

I'm going to try a different driving licence office next week to validate what I've been told. 

• Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I won't be returning to Australia until the end of next year and I'll still have a year left on my QLD licence but I'll be "losing" it and doing a 5 year renewal when I'm there.  It was a lesson learnt years ago after returning from living in the US; I managed to talk them around that time but not going to risk it again. 

I find your case interesting, you normally have to prove residence in the state you're applying for a licence in Australia.  How'd you get around that?  I changed my billing address for most things still open in Australia to my sister's place. 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Before covid I hired a campervan from Perth and drove just a bit past Broome. Driving in Western Aus is for me brilliant. Very little traffic, lots blue sky, open roads and so many places just to stop the vehicle, eat drink sleep then repeat the next day. And I did that with my Philippines licence.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Colsie said:

I recently arrived here in Perth WA and went to renew my WA driving licence. Unfortunately its expired by more than 5yrs and I have been told by several experience staff at the Department of Transport that I will have to reapply for a licence

This surprises me as Aussie laws are so similar to Canadian laws and:  When I came back to Canada I explained that my license had expired because I had been temporarily residing in the Philippines for a "while" and the Philippines insisted I convert to their license.  The licensing authority here, in BC Canada, told me "We just need to know that you have been continually licensed and still driving for the period your BC license has been expired.  Since you have proven than, we can reissue a new BC license BUT you must surrender your Philippine license."

Now if I want to drive in the Philippines again I will have to give them a sob story about how I lost my license and want a replacement.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This surprises me as Aussie laws are so similar to Canadian laws and:  When I came back to Canada I explained that my license had expired because I had been temporarily residing in the Philippines for a "while" and the Philippines insisted I convert to their license.  The licensing authority here, in BC Canada, told me "We just need to know that you have been continually licensed and still driving for the period your BC license has been expired.  Since you have proven than, we can reissue a new BC license BUT you must surrender your Philippine license."

Now if I want to drive in the Philippines again I will have to give them a sob story about how I lost my license and want a replacement.  

In Australia, even if you still live there, in most states if you don't hold a licence for 5 years, you're back to square one with regards to reattaining it; knowledge test, driving test etc.  What I do find odd in Colsie's situation is he's not able to convert straight over from his PI licence back to WA as he's on paper at least maintained his driving skills, albeit in another country.  I'd be contacting another office personally.  

Edit:  Western Australia is fairly unique in many ways though..

Edited by BrettGC

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I find your case interesting, you normally have to prove residence in the state you're applying for a licence in Australia.  How'd you get around that?  I changed my billing address for most things still open in Australia to my sister's place. 

The simple answer is I don't know for sure yet, haven't got to that part. That being said, it was easy enough to open a bank account with my son's address and he's moving and going to rent a place of his mate and said he can put my name on the lease. 

Let see what happens next week, watch this space 👀

I think it's ironic, for example, a 17yo French kid can come to Australia with a Philippine license and legally drive on what would be to him/her the wrong side of the road and with road signs in a foreign language. 

But someone with 45 years experience, over 10yrs here with no demerit points is not allowed to drive on a foreign licence because they have Australian citizenship

Edit: yes you're right, I think all the states have their own idiosyncrasies i🤔

Edited by Colsie
  • Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The licensing authority here, in BC Canada, told me "We just need to know that you have been continually licensed and still driving for the period your BC license has been expired.  Since you have proven than, we can reissue a new BC license BUT you must surrender your Philippine license."

That is both logical and sensible. 

But apparently its not the case in Western Australia. In Australia each state has its own driving licence and for the most part their own rules, plus you can also get another driving licence, an interstate license. 

Many moons ago, Western Australia didn't want to be part of Australia at all, it wanted to be its own country I believe. 

But I guess, IF I want a new WA driving licence I'm going to have to sit down and do the theory test with a bunch of spotty adolescent teenagers then take a practical driving test 🤡

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Colsie said:

But I guess, IF I want a new WA driving licence I'm going to have to sit down and do the theory test with a bunch of spotty adolescent teenagers then take a practical driving test 🤡

You could always let the French kid drive you around :Happy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

You could always let the French kid drive you around :Happy:

I could also jump off a bridge ☠️

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Colsie said:

Many moons ago, Western Australia didn't want to be part of Australia at all, it wanted to be its own country I believe. 

Australia is a Federation of states (former British colonies and overseas territories) that voted before 1901 (when the Commonwealth was formed) to join together as a country.  New Zealand and Western Australia were split on the issue unlike the eastern states which had a clear majority in favor.

From memory (long time since school) Western Australia voted about 51% in favor of joining and New Zealand voted about 49% in favor of joining which is why WA is part of Ozzie and New Zealand isn't.

(sorry for the slightly off topic post)

• Like 3