Dual Citizenship Needed for Child's Departure?

Possum
Posted
Posted

We're planning a trip to the USA. Children were born in Philippines but have a US passport. We were told that in order to leave they must have a Philippine passport AND a dual citizenship document before leaving. If not there would be a large fine 60,000php each and possibly a delay at the airport in Manila. We thought just their Philippine birth certificate would suffice. It seems BI wants to know how they have been staying in the Philippines without a visa? Apparently being born here isn't a good reason if you have a US passport. Anyone had any experience with this?

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Greglm said:

We're planning a trip to the USA. Children were born in Philippines but have a US passport. We were told that in order to leave they must have a Philippine passport AND a dual citizenship document before leaving. If not there would be a large fine 60,000php each and possibly a delay at the airport in Manila. We thought just their Philippine birth certificate would suffice. It seems BI wants to know how they have been staying in the Philippines without a visa? Apparently being born here isn't a good reason if you have a US passport. Anyone had any experience with this?

I'm not experienced in such things but wouldn't it be normal to ask on what basis someone is living here if they are not a citizen?  

ETA - How would you deal with them returning?  They wouldn't have any entry visa and a birth certificate doesn't have a photo so how would they know the child entering was the one on the birth certificate?  Sure, passport photos are not necessarily foolproof, especially for younger children, but better than nothing. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Greglm said:

I think you are saying they do not have a Philippine passport.  You should get one ASAP.  Even with the birth certificate I think they would be considered only U.S. citizens when trying to leave, so yes, they would basically be overstaying tourists, thus the fine.  I think this has been discussed before.

Never heard of a dual citizen document.  My daughters were born here and are dual citizens.  We got the Philippine passport ASAP after birth each time.  Then we followed with the U.S. CRBA and U.S. passport.

We just traveled.  You always give Philippines immigration both passports.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Never heard of a dual citizen document.  My daughters were born here and are dual citizens.  We got the Philippine passport ASAP after birth each time.  Then we followed with the U.S. CRBA and U.S. passport.

We just traveled.  You always give Philippines immigration both passports.

Exactly the same experience over the past 26 years with the kids traveling on British/Filipino passports. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think it makes sense anyone born here who is a Philippines citizen should have a Philippines passport. 

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

We'll get PH passport soon. Have appointment already. Wife is going to BI Friday and ask about this Dual Citizenship document. Someone she knows didn't have it for their child and had to pay the fine, but they didn't have the child's Philippine passport. Makes sense now.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You always give Philippines immigration both passports.

They don't ask for the US passport though, that's only for your benefit in case of returning to the US, correct?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

They don't ask for the US passport though, that's only for your benefit in case of returning to the US, correct?

No, I was reprimanded the first time I did not give both passports for the kids.  Coming back in Sunday, from AU, they looked at both and scanned both.

U.S. Passport has more power.  If you were going, for instance, to AU, NZ or US and did not have your U.S. passport, they would look in your PH passport for a visa allowing you to travel there.  They are more strict with kids too.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was reprimanded the first time I did not give both passports for the kids.

Why does Philippines immigration care what you do with US passports? You don't even need to bring them, nevermind hand them over.  I get why you would want them stamped but it doesn't seem any business of the BI.

Gas
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Why does Philippines immigration care what you do with US passports? You don't even need to bring them, nevermind hand them over.  I get why you would want them stamped but it doesn't seem any business of the BI.

They don’t stamp the foreign passport if you have a Filipino passport. 
They are probably checking to see if you have valid visa for the country you are visiting. 

• Like 1