Starlink

insite
Posted
Posted

Any updates on Musk's Starlink arriving in the Phills ?

• Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Lots of Youtube vids of people buying the plan in the US and using it in the Philippines.  Its there.  Just politics now.

• 1 year later...
Gutenberg
Posted
Posted

Since I will move to the Phillipines in the coming months I think Starlink is exactly what I would need. Especially since I plan to move around a bit and stay at various locations, including islands.

Does anybody have experience with it already, like ordering it while in PH?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

A company called Datalake are an authorised reseller for Starlink in the Philippines.

A neighbor of mine recently had it installed and is very happy with it. Quite expensive to purchase it seems, the equipment costs over 30,000php with a monthly charge of around 3,000php for 200mbps. 

http://www.datalake.ph

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

A company called Datalake are an authorised reseller for Starlink in the Philippines.

A neighbor of mine recently had it installed and is very happy with it. Quite expensive to purchase it seems, the equipment costs over 30,000php with a monthly charge of around 3,000php for 200mbps. 

200mbps is the advertised "up to" speed.  The actual average in The Philippines is 110mbps.

Granted this is first quarter 2023 data but given there's been no new satellite launches by Elon I'd imagine not much has changed.  

https://www.yugatech.com/news/starlink-sets-fastest-median-download-speeds-in-ph/

image.png

Great solution for travelling if you're island hopping to areas where there's no wifi provided. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's a few guys that I know that have been using Starlink here for a while. SM store in the Mall of Asia have it on the shelf apparently. 

The average speed appears to be just over 100mbps and it's affected by heavy rain. Still better than most set ups in the Philippines though. 

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

On the official Starlink page it costs 18,500 PHP for the hardware and 2,700 PHP monthly costs for fixed location and 3,300 PHP for "roam" within the Phillipines (and Asia apparently according to the map).

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Well, the wife made sure We not getting starlink. Our PLDT contract has been ended for the last year (3 year lock in) She went behind my back and ordered some mesh things, we have 6 already and 3 more lock in years plus 300p extra a month plus faster down-load Hmmmmm.

:angry:

• Sad 1

insite
Posted
Posted

As a matter of interest I appear to be having some congestion issue with Starlink - Davao area

I have tested two independent IPTV services and both are showing considerable freezing issues during peak hours - one more so than the other.

There are no issues with the set up and there are no obstructions to the dish.

I brought this to SL's attention and this was their reply to me .......

insite
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the information

Due to the uniqueness of satellite internet depending on your service area you may experience some micro outages or interruptions due to many variables such as obstructions(clouds, Airplanes, birds), elements, radio interference, also when a new satellite comes into orbit with your service area can also cause outages for a few seconds. Our service provides supplemental connection when outside of an area that provides fiber or cable connection.  I hope this clarifies why buffering or freezing can occur.

Best,

Starlink Customer Support