Delayed Childhood Development

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I were having lunch with a niece who has a practice in child psychology.  A family sat at the next table with two small children.  The 3 years old boy walked in assisted his mother.  He was experiencing walking difficulties.  The little girl, around 2 years, was carried by a nanny, sat down on a highchair, and she was handed a tablet with a children's cartoon program.  Her speech was mere sounds which only her nanny understood.  Both children were spoon fed by the two accompanying nannies.  After they left, I asked my niece if they had speech and physical impediments.  Her response astonished me.  

The boy was accustomed to being carried around which delays physical development.  In other words, at 3 years, he has not yet learned to walk.  The girl communicates primarily with her nanny, so they have their own language.  Spoon feeding adds to dependency.  So does dressing and combing their hairs.  Parents are not involved in child raising because of their heavy business and social schedule.  What nannies learn is to make themselves indispensable to preserve their job.  It delays getting terminated.  It also delays growth.  Sometimes the bond with the children is so strong, they remain with the family for life.

In the Philippines, even middle-class families can afford helpers.  There is an old saying, "You must be poor, you only have one maid."  

• Sad 7

baronapart
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife and I were having lunch with a niece who has a practice in child psychology.  A family sat at the next table with two small children.  The 3 years old boy walked in assisted his mother.  He was experiencing walking difficulties.  The little girl, around 2 years, was carried by a nanny, sat down on a highchair, and she was handed a tablet with a children's cartoon program.  Her speech was mere sounds which only her nanny understood.  Both children were spoon fed by the two accompanying nannies.  After they left, I asked my niece if they had speech and physical impediments.  Her response astonished me.  

The boy was accustomed to being carried around which delays physical development.  In other words, at 3 years, he has not yet learned to walk.  The girl communicates primarily with her nanny, so they have their own language.  Spoon feeding adds to dependency.  So does dressing and combing their hairs.  Parents are not involved in child raising because of their heavy business and social schedule.  What nannies learn is to make themselves indispensable to preserve their job.  It delays getting terminated.  It also delays growth.  Sometimes the bond with the children is so strong, they remain with the family for life.

In the Philippines, even middle-class families can afford helpers.  There is an old saying, "You must be poor, you only have one maid."  

My wife and I were discussing having a yaya in the Philippines when we retire there. Maybe part time to help out. My wife said only a woman over 50 ;-)))

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, baronapart said:

My wife and I were discussing having a yaya in the Philippines when we retire there. Maybe part time to help out. My wife said only a woman over 50 ;-)))

I took the liberty of putting together a short-list for you - 

HERE ARE THE 10 MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD OVER 50 YEARS OLD
  • Julia Roberts, 54 years.
  • Kylie Minogue, 54 years.
  • Monica Bellucci, 57 years.
  • Helen Mirren, 76 years.
  • Goldie Hawn, 76 years.
  • Courteney Cox, 58 Years.
  • Morgan Fairchild, 72 years.
  • Kathy Ireland, 59 years.
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I took the liberty of putting together a short-list for you - 

HERE ARE THE 10 MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD OVER 50 YEARS OLD
  • Julia Roberts, 54 years.
  • Kylie Minogue, 54 years.
  • Monica Bellucci, 57 years.
  • Helen Mirren, 76 years.
  • Goldie Hawn, 76 years.
  • Courteney Cox, 58 Years.
  • Morgan Fairchild, 72 years.
  • Kathy Ireland, 59 years.

You are delusional!  You forgot Caitlyn Jenner!

Caitlyn_Jenner_Web_Summit_2017_(cropped).jpg

• Haha 3
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

No list would be complete without Sophia Loren.  She is 88 now, but here is a picture when she was 50.

The One Most Important Thing Sophia Learned to Do at Age 50 ...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We seem to have drifted off topic.  Sorry @JJReyes

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

We seem to have drifted off topic.  Sorry @JJReyes

That's okay.  Over the years, we have observed legacy kids, also known as "trust fund babies," sheltering in Hawaii.  Many carry burdens unique to the fact they come from wealthy families.  I never realized that the problem could start at such an early age, as commented by my niece who is a child psychologist.  Honolulu is considered safe because entry and exit is limited to an international airport.  The fear among parents is kidnapping.  The parents dump them in places like Oahu.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

That's okay.  Over the years, we have observed legacy kids, also known as "trust fund babies," sheltering in Hawaii.  Many carry burdens unique to the fact they come from wealthy families.  I never realized that the problem could start at such an early age, as commented by my niece who is a child psychologist.  Honolulu is considered safe because entry and exit is limited to an international airport.  The fear among parents is kidnapping.  The parents dump them in places like Oahu.  

A few years back I witnessed the yaya shoveling food into the mouth of my seven year old nephew while he was playing games on his cell phone.  It was a "what the hell"  moment for me.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You are delusional!  You forgot Caitlyn Jenner!

Caitlyn_Jenner_Web_Summit_2017_(cropped).jpg

I was saving her for myself!

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 1/16/2023 at 6:49 PM, JJReyes said:

It's way worse in Hong Kong - working class families can afford one, or even two.  Mostly Filipina or Indonesian and that brings with it all sorts of cultural challenges above and beyond what folk experience here.