Borax - Post Up Your Best Recipes And Methods!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Slightly off topic (sorry for that), but I just started a somewhat drastic treatment a couple of days ago...

I have a 7 liter pump sprayer. I made a malathion mix and then sprayed outside and inside our property, mainly for ants. There were ants and aphids and, who knows what else? eating some of our veggies and ornamental plants. Every day I was spraying Baygon in a few areas where ants swarmed daily. Well, the ants have not re-appeared, but it is only a few days. I made sure to spray especially in the soil next to the fence, inside and out, because I knew there were some ant nests there. I would not bother, except these buggers bite or sting and some sort of insects have been devouring leaves of the plants.

I could only do half of the property because I did not want the dog to get into the sprayed areas. Soon, I will move him to the other side and spray the remainder of the place.

I am already seeing results (this was the second spray of the one side) as some of the ornamentals are sprouting new leaves again. I realize this is not the most environmentally friendly thing to do but, after researching online, the malathion apparently breaks down rather quickly in water and heat and so does not have a terrible long term effect such as the super nasty DDT. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Anyway... that's my solution at this time...

Oh... and yeah, we had a tuko living above our refrigerator and have had only a few cockroaches appear. I evicted him a few days ago because we were afraid of encountering him at night and he was noisy. He was very irritated when he was thrown out (figuratively, not literally). The main thing with cockroaches I found when living on the yacht, was to keep the kitchen and house as clean as possible, all rubbish in closed bins and wash dishes always. If they don't find food, they are not attracted so much and have nothing to eat...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Slightly off topic (sorry for that), but I just started a somewhat drastic treatment a couple of days ago...

I have a 7 liter pump sprayer. I made a malathion mix and then sprayed outside and inside our property, mainly for ants. There were ants and aphids and, who knows what else? eating some of our veggies and ornamental plants. Every day I was spraying Baygon in a few areas where ants swarmed daily. Well, the ants have not re-appeared, but it is only a few days. I made sure to spray especially in the soil next to the fence, inside and out, because I knew there were some ant nests there. I would not bother, except these buggers bite or sting and some sort of insects have been devouring leaves of the plants.

I could only do half of the property because I did not want the dog to get into the sprayed areas. Soon, I will move him to the other side and spray the remainder of the place.

I am already seeing results (this was the second spray of the one side) as some of the ornamentals are sprouting new leaves again. I realize this is not the most environmentally friendly thing to do but, after researching online, the malathion apparently breaks down rather quickly in water and heat and so does not have a terrible long term effect such as the super nasty DDT. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Anyway... that's my solution at this time...

I had our yard sprayed for ants yesterday.  We have red tree ants and this time a few tiny stinging red ant hills.  A few black ants.  We have been using the same outfit for 6 years.  Yesterday he asked me how much we paid last time, indicating they are raising prices to some people.  I have paid p1500 per treatment for that 6 years.  They have 3-4 guys with big sprayers douse everything, even getting high in the trees for the red tree ants.

• Like 1