Financial Security For Our Wives/Partners

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

I am reasonably certain no person who is not a legal resident of the USA  or a citizen of the USA can collect a social security benefit upon the death of the spouse. This is what I understand for US SS benefits

I have no dog in the fight, but 3 seconds on Google shows something that appears to contradict you.

Can my non-US spouse receive my Social Security benefits?

In most cases, the answer is yes. Foreign spouses generally qualify for Social Security survivor benefits, which are the deceased US worker's full benefits. In the case of dependent or spousal Social Security, a foreign spouse will likely qualify, receiving half of the US expat's benefit.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/faq/can-non-us-spouse-receive-social-security-benefits/#:~:text=In most cases%2C the answer,of the US expat's benefit.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)

Only 6 years apart here... but that 6 looks wider down the road than now. Married 40+ years... She will get everything when I'm gone (I guess she has everything now for that matter LOL)...  but she will get about 1/2 what my SS is now, 1/2 my govt pension, and all of my 401K, stocks, and property (already in both names) here in the USA. Also eligible to retain the same health insurance we've had 40+ years. She starts SS in 2 months (she managed to max out the credits needed)... and I've been getting it for 5.. She'll be fine financially no matter where she decides to live.

We both have "I love you" wills... which means everything goes to the survivor... and when both of us are gone... equal split with the kids (all over 30 now). 

With that said... we've been through enough on both sides of our families to learn that if you want to give something to someone else, no matter who it is... better to give it to them while you're alive!!  No one can contest a gift if you give it when you're alive.  We've seen too many wills get dragged through the courts in the USA and the Philippines.

Also...  trying to steer or dictate how one spends/or uses what you give them.. whether its in a will or a gift..... isn't worth the effort. 

Edited by Joey G
  • Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In most cases, the answer is yes. Foreign spouses generally qualify for Social Security survivor benefits, which are the deceased US worker's full benefits. In the case of dependent or spousal Social Security, a foreign spouse will likely qualify, receiving half of the US expat's benefit.

"Likely qualify" is correct... but not guaranteed... because it gets complicated with certain situations.  Anyone counting on SS in the USA for a non-US citizen would be smart to get professional advice from a lawyer specializing in SS.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Can my non-US spouse receive my Social Security benefits?

Greenback always comes up in search's and their info is often misleading or wrong.  In their "basic requirements" they mention 40 quarters of work.  Wrong.

Better use the SSA links in the other topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

She will get everything when I'm gone (I guess she has everything now for that matter LOL)...  but she will get about 1/2 what my SS is now

If you have passed away, she will get 100% as survivor benefit.  If she reaches retirement age and you are still alive she can collect up to 50% of your benefit, or her own if she has 40 or more quarters of work.  She can collect the greater of the two amounts if she has her own account and the 40 quarters of employment where SS deduction was reported by the employer.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

For our situation, my wife will get nothing from the UK Govt. from my state pension.  She will get something from my 4 private pensions but that will depend on how I decide to split the benefits when I retire - I'm currently 58 and my wife is 13 years younger.  Obviously she will get 'our' property here as it's hers anyway under local law.  I have also managed our (OK my) savings in the UK so that there will be a sizeable amount which will see her through very comfortable for the remainder of her time.  Without disclosing numbers, I'd estimate that with what we have here in savings she'll have enough to get by even without my UK savings and/or pensions.  That said, I want her to do more than get by and would also like to start my son off in his adult life with a helpful push. 

My principle is I want her to be comfortable once I'm gone but not a lottery winner!  

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

My principle is I want her to be comfortable once I'm gone but not a lottery winner!

My goal exactly. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have savings here in the uk plus the house too, more then enough to last her when I’ve gone .plus I’m sure she could go back to working in the NHS as that is what she is doing at the moment until she retires early again so we can see the world together .

We have talked about would she return back to the Philippines if I die but the answer is no so we are not looking at buying a home there for her to retire too, she has friends and family here in the uk .

But can I asked what would happen if your partner goes before you.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, stevewool said:

But can I asked what would happen if your partner goes before you.

That would depend on what age I was if that were to happen - if it was whilst my son was still young i.e. not adult, I'd almost certainly return to the UK with him as I wouldn't fancy bringing a child up here without my wife.  If he were older and established here I'd have to think long and hard about staying here or going back home and visiting from time-to-time.  

• Like 3