Europe Excess Mortality

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2023 at 2:16 PM, OnMyWay said:

Now that most of the Covid madness is behind us, it is interesting to look in the rear view mirror and see if lessons can be learned.

Unfortunately, the full article is behind a paywall.  These snippets were posted on Twitter.

https://www.svd.se/a/JQvVnj/anders-tegnell-efter-pandemin-overdodlighet-ger-inte-hela-svaret

FqYEBeOXsAABNmC.png

FqYDHfZXoAAMWj6.png

There's statistics and statistics as they say. They need to look at the figures following a timeline. Sweden's initial approach to covid led it to having some of the worst covid deaths in the World before back peddling and rushing out vaccines and implimenting stricter restrictions.  Sweden's policy was saved by defeating the Alpha variant and changes to policies. 

You then have to look at the culture differences within Scandinavian countries where just giving them advice to self isolate, social distance etc is enough for the people to do it, most other countries the culture is every man for himself and I'll do as I want.  Could you imagine the deaths in the Philippines if the locals were allowed to do their own thing?

Then there's the long term effects on those infected but not dying, getting further comorbidities which will raise their heads in the coming years. I think it'll be a few more years yet before the full data can be reviewed and the good and bad highlighted.  

One thing that can't be disputed is vaccination has saved countless lives and regardless what the anti covid vaxers say the data shows the safety and efficacy of vaccines and I'll challenge anyone to produce peer reviewed data showing otherwise from a reputable medical or scientific journal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There's statistics and statistics as they say. They need to look at the figures following a timeline. Sweden's initial approach to covid led it to having some of the worst covid deaths in the World before back peddling and rushing out vaccines and implimenting stricter restrictions.  Sweden's policy was saved by defeating the Alpha variant and changes to policies. 

You then have to look at the culture differences within Scandinavian countries where just giving them advice to self isolate, social distance etc is enough for the people to do it, most other countries the culture is every man for himself and I'll do as I want.  Could you imagine the deaths in the Philippines if the locals were allowed to do their own thing?

Then there's the long term effects on those infected but not dying, getting further comorbidities which will raise their heads in the coming years. I think it'll be a few more years yet before the full data can be reviewed and the good and bad highlighted.  

One thing that can't be disputed is vaccination has saved countless lives and regardless what the anti covid vaxers say the data shows the safety and efficacy of vaccines and I'll challenge anyone to produce peer reviewed data showing otherwise from a reputable medical or scientific journal.

I will just say a few words as we are not really supposed to discuss.  I hoped that some would have some lessons learned when certain things have been proven true or false.  Do you have a lesson learned?

I'm certainly not anti-vax.  I'm vaccinated and boosted.  I kind of regret the mrna booster.  However, I am against government mandated covid vaccines.  Vulnerable groups should be able to make the choice based on what they see as the risk / reward.  Younger, healthy people without comorbidities were, in many cases, coerced into taking a vaccine they did not need.  This huge set of new customers made billions for some companies and individuals.  In some places, in the early pandemic, younger people were guilted into getting the jab "you will kill grandma if you don't get it".  That was a false premise and actually dangerous because initially many thought they could not be a spreader if they got jabbed.  Unfortunately, it seems that the younger healthy folks that were jabbed with mrna vaccines are having side effects.  Believe it, or not.  Proof either way, is somewhere in the future.

So, my big lesson learned is this, and as a healthy guy, you can relate, I think.  Who dies of covid?  Who dies of anything? Healthy people?  Generally speaking, it is rare unless you are really old.  Covid mainly kills the elderly and sick.  Many people in the West are sick with illnesses that became the word we know now as comorbidities.  Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc.  Most of this is preventable but many people just ignore and get sicker and sicker.  Many are dead now.  I hope this is a wakeup call for those who need it.

It was a wakeup call for me.  In June 2020 I realized I had to make changes if I wanted to live a long life, covid or no covid.  So I did and I'm not going back.  I'm much healthier now and much less likely to die of covid or similar contagious diseases.  Knock on wood.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2023 at 7:29 PM, OnMyWay said:

It was a wakeup call for me.  In June 2020 I realized I had to make changes if I wanted to live a long life, covid or no covid.  So I did and I'm not going back.  I'm much healthier now and much less likely to die of covid or similar contagious diseases.  Knock on wood.

At this rate, the next pandemic will be much worse.

Quote "restrictions on the marketing of foods that are high in fat".  The elites will keep pushing this low fat nonsense which actually kills people.  The focus should be on getting sugar out of the human diet, but there is too much money being made on sugar.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/02/more-than-half-of-humans-on-track-to-be-overweight-or-obese-by-2035-report

More than half of humans on track to be overweight or obese by 2035 – report

Campaigners urge ambitious global intervention with 25% of people expected to be clinically obese in 12 years

More than half of the world’s population will be overweight or obese by 2035 unless governments take decisive action to curb the growing epidemic of excess weight, a report has warned.

About 2.6 billion people globally – 38% of the world population – are already overweight or obese. But on current trends that is expected to rise to more than 4 billion people (51%) in 12 years’ time, according to research by the World Obesity Federation.

Without widespread use of tactics such as taxes and limits on the promotion of unhealthy food, the number of people who are clinically obese will increase from one in seven today to one in four by 2035. If that happens, almost 2 billion people worldwide would be living with obesity.

Those with a body mass index (BMI) of 25 are judged to be overweight, while people whose BMI is at least 30 are deemed to be obese. Evidence shows that obesity increases someone’s risk of cancer, heart disease and other diseases.

Obesity among children and young people is on course to increase faster than among adults. By 2035 it is expected to be at least double the rate seen in 2020, according to the federation’s latest annual World Obesity Atlas report.

It is expected to rise by 100% among boys under 18, leaving 208 million affected, but go up even more sharply – by 125% – among girls the same age, which would see 175 million of them affected.

Prof Louise Baur, the federation’s president, said the stark findings were “a clear warning that by failing to address obesity today, we risk serious repercussions in the future.

“It is particularly worrying to see obesity rates rising fastest among children and adolescents.”

Countries need to take “ambitious and coordinated action” as part of a “robust international response” to tackle the growing health and economic crisis that obesity involves, the federation believes.

“Governments and policymakers around the world need to do all they can to avoid passing health, social and economic costs on to the younger generation,” Baur added.

The federation is an alliance of health, scientific, research and campaign groups, and works closely on obesity with various global agencies, including the World Health Organization (WHO). Its members in the UK include the Association for the Study of Obesity.

It wants governments to use tax systems; restrictions on the marketing of foods that are high in fat, salt or sugar; front-of-pack labels; and provision of healthy food in schools to address rising obesity.

The federation’s report also highlights that many of the world’s poorest countries are facing the sharpest increases in obesity yet are the least well prepared to confront the disease.

Nine of the 10 countries set to experience the biggest rises in coming years are low- or middle-income nations in Africa and Asia.

-----------, Papua New Guinea, Somalia, Nigeria and Central African Republic are the least prepared countries to deal with rising obesity, the federation says. Rachel Jackson Leach, the federation’s director of science, warned that without firm action, low- and middle-income countries that are least able to tackle obesity would suffer major consequences.

“The greatest increases will be seen in low- and middle-income countries where scarce resources and lack of preparedness will create a perfect storm that will negatively impact people living with obesity the most,” she said.

It ranks rich European nations as the 10 best prepared of 183 countries studied. That list is headed by Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Iceland and Sweden. The UK was judged seventh on that measure.

The global cost of obesity is also due to rocket, from $1.96tr in 2019 to $4.32tr by 2035, which would be the equivalent of 3% of global GDP – a sum comparable to the economic damage wrought by Covid-19 – the federation estimates.

Its report says that rising obesity globally is being driven by factors such as the climate emergency, Covid restrictions and chemical pollutants, as well as the composition and promotion of unhealthy foods and the behaviour of the food industry.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Its report says that rising obesity globally is being driven by factors such as the climate emergency, Covid restrictions and chemical pollutants, as well as the composition and promotion of unhealthy foods and the behaviour of the food industry.

Wait, what - Covid is now getting blamed for something that was very, very evident long before it appeared?  I'm in no position to dispute the findings of the report but find this particular point debateable to say the least.  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Wait, what - Covid is now getting blamed for something that was very, very evident long before it appeared?  I'm in no position to dispute the findings of the report but find this particular point debateable to say the least.  

I think their point is that in many places where people were restricted from going out much, people stayed in and practiced their couch potato routines.  That certainly impacted us here in the Philippines and especially here in Subic Bay Freeport.  We were not allowed to do anything except to buy groceries, take them home and eat them.  Everything is about personal discipline, but I certainly seemed to be impacted.  From Feb 2020 to June 2020, I gained almost 20 kilos and hit my peak lifetime weight!  That was the turning point for me.  Never again.  I weigh 40 kilo less than that now and will lose another 10+.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think their point is that in many places where people were restricted from going out much, people stayed in and practiced their couch potato routines.  That certainly impacted us here in the Philippines and especially here in Subic Bay Freeport.  We were not allowed to do anything except to buy groceries, take them home and eat them.  Everything is about personal discipline, but I certainly seemed to be impacted.  From Feb 2020 to June 2020, I gained almost 20 kilos and hit my peak lifetime weight!  That was the turning point for me.  Never again.  I weigh 40 kilo less than that now and will lose another 10+.

I'm just not convinced the long-term effects of unhealthy eating due to covid YET belong in a list of factors contributing to global obesity.  The pandemic actually resulted in many folk re-evaluating their lifestyle and making more healthy choices which may counteract the negative effect of those who didn't.  You are the perfect example of what I'm getting at - you weigh less than pre-pandemic weight and many more are similar.  

I guess I'm saying it's too soon to evaluate the impact of Covid on global health. 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Each person is different but I lost a good 15kg during the lockdowns and many of my friends reluctactly agreed it made them fitter, shocked them into changing their lifestyles and no more starting drinking with the lads and continuing all day. 

I think the fact that with vaccinations and restrictions the Alpha variant was pretty much eliminated quickly and now with things backing off and more people not bothering with vaccines Omicron is hanging on and on. As for the young not needing the vaccines Covid is the highest preventable killer of children in the US and 8th killer over all. I think the long term effects of covid is still to be felt in the health system. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm just not convinced the long-term effects of unhealthy eating due to covid YET belong in a list of factors contributing to global obesity. 

They didn't write it well, but I interpret it as the short term covid restrictions contributed to the current upward trend in obesity.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As for the young not needing the vaccines Covid is the highest preventable killer of children in the US and 8th killer over all.

As you said, "There's statistics and statistics.".  I don't doubt that those stats may be reliable, but it is all relative.  Kids don't die often in the first place. 

According to CDC, from Jan 2020 to March 2023, the US had 10,619,572 deaths.  110,355 were aged 0-17, 1.04%.  During the same time, there were 1515 covid deaths in that age group, .14% of the 1,115,931 total Covid deaths.  29% of those 1515 were babies under 1 year old.  These stats ae without consideration of comorbidities but if you look at the data, it also lists data for pneumonia and influenza.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-by-Sex-and-Age/9bhg-hcku

I was considering getting my 6 & 8 year olds vaccinated but parents have to consider the risk / reward.  Some of our friend's kids got the vax but I did not see the need.  What I don't like is governments making vaccinations mandatory for any age.

Screenshot (949).png

Edited by OnMyWay

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The elites will keep pushing this low fat nonsense which actually kills people.  The focus should be on getting sugar out of the human diet, but there is too much money being made on sugar.

Interesting article:

How Warren Buffett and Bill Gates Make a Killing Off the Childhood Obesity Epidemic

Warren Buffett’s vertically integrated investments in the production of high fructose corn syrup — a key ingredient in highly processed foods and contributor to obesity in kids — generates massive profits for himself and Bill Gates.

Link copied

bill_gates_warren_buffett_obesity_corn_s

Miss a day, miss a lot. Subscribe to The Defender's Top News of the Day. It's free.

Childhood obesity rates could double among boys and increase by 125% among girls by 2035, according to a new global report by the World Obesity Federation.

In the U.S., childhood obesity rates tripled in the past three decades, increasing kids’ risks of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other chronic illnesses.

More ......

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/bill_gates_warren_buffett_obesity_corn_syrup/